1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Exactly right.

The Beal trade established the market for non top-20 players getting paid supermaxes. The return you get is expiring contracts (and that’s if you’re lucky enough to find a crazy owner like Phoenix’s to trade with).

If KAT is traded, it’ll be for expirings and a nominal return. Maybe a fake frp and a cast off young player.

kspires999 likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not the same.

Plenty of suitors, it was the NTC which killed his value.

dmoneybangbang and Corrosion like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're correct that it is not the same.

Allegedly Miami was offering Lowry and Robinson and some picks - Washington were interested in Herro, but Miami not so keen... better package, but not by a long way!

And this is for a guy who has positive potential value. KAT plays the same position as Gobert, and they don't work well on the court. Not a lot of incentive for anyone to help them out...

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Kat changed the game though.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

You could sign Fred VanVleet, Naz Reid, and still have enough cap space to acquire Pascal Siakam for #4, #20, KJ Martin, and Tate:

PG: VanVleet / Washington, Jr.
    SG: Green / Porter, Jr. / Christopher
    SF: Smith, Jr. / Eason
    PF: Siakam / Garuba
    C: Sengun / Reid / Boban?

You've added two of the top 50 guys in the league, both with championship cred, plus one of the best backup centers. The young guys would still need to develop, but that could be a special roster.

theDude, a la rockets and fattz like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Porzingis and Kuzma are interesting targets now that the Wiz are in blow up mode. Not necessarily saying to acquire both as I personally think Kuzma is a more reliable bet. Porzingis would be a good get IF he could play 65 games a season. The spacing would be much better. The Sengun contingent might not like it, but 96 minutes between Jabari/Porzingis/Sengun

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Porzingas would be awesome

dmoneybangbang, Rudyc281 and j@amc like this.
  8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'm not sure why Porzingis hasn't gotten more love here. Everyone knows the injury risk, but the two things he does best, hit 3s and block shots, are the two things the Rockets are missing.

We're going to spend at least the next 5 years in the same division with Vic. It would be nice to have a guy that size to go up against him.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

48, 57, 43, 34, 17, 51, 65. That's the number of games he has played the last 7 seasons. Every single person likes what he does but he is always injured.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Injury risk + perception that he's soft and/or an empty stats guy.

He's a good player when healthy though. Worth keeping in mind that he's pretty much just a center at this stage in his career, his days of playing the 4 are done. So there are some fit questions with Sengun. Might make more sense if, for example, we trade Sengun to move up in the draft, but I'm not in love with that idea... I'd really like to give Alpi one more season and see what the offense actually looks like with him as the focal point before we make any rash decisions.

11. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Id rather roll the dice and trade for Zion than take a run at Porzingis. I think Kristaps is just who he is at this point and I’m not sure where he fits next to Sengun and Jabari.

12. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Availability is the best ability.

It’s not talked about, but the Rockets have actually been really lucky with injuries for the last 10 years or so (ignoring Game 5 2018). We’ve not had to deal with major injuries basically at all, so I think some fans don’t realize how brutal it is to have an injury prone star.

Building your team around a guy who is constantly unavailable is just soul destroying - ask Clippers fans with Kawhi, Pelicans fans with Zion etc etc.

GM’s are super wary of pinning their hopes on those risks - it kills entire seasons, and you’re helpless.

OremLK likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rudyc281 and OremLK like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

They overvalue their assets and play too much hardball.

Not worth the headache for guys like OG and Siakam. Just punt some cap space and try to get them in free agency next offseason if we really want them.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

(Yes, I'm quoting myself, sue me)

One side note with this scenario is that it leaves us with an obvious hole at the 3 spot. Now, maybe that ends up filled by KPJ, but I prefer him as a 6th man backing up all three positions off the bench. I'd love to see the Rockets make a run at a free agent wing or combo forward with our cap space, such as Cam Johnson.

Scoot/KPJ
    Green/KPJ
    Johnson/KJ Martin
    Jabari/Johnson
    Sengun/Nurkic (or vice-versa)

16. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Overpay for siakam. Dude already peaked. This sounds like a .500 team…

Little Bit, lionaire and "Hail Hydra" like this.
  17. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Dam…?? You want to trade for 2 guys who miss 70% of games each year???
    Clutchfans begging to be mediocre for the next 5 years

"Hail Hydra" likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

It’s only injuries that are the concern for me. I feel like Jabari, Porzingis, and Sengun would be a great front court that would be complement each other. Sengun has potential but he still isn’t a good shooter and we need more shooting.

I feel like Kuzma is the safer bet and more of a Swiss Army knife.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Siakim is a rental. That is way too much for him

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dallas is allegedly looking to trade #10 for a playoff ready perimeter player. Unfortunately, we don't have that. But here's the best we could do:

KPJ
    Tate or KMJ

For
    Bertans

At least this way, the Mavs get off of Bertans' deal. At 10 maybe we take Dick. Though he won't admit it publicly, I think Tildo craves Dick.

OremLK likes this.