1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the mock drafts are saying...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 16, 2023.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

That's how I feel everytime I see fans complaining about players who were supposed to lose games for three seasons. Some serious mental issues there lol.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

But do the Rockets have a locked-in all star? I am not sure. The usual caveats: Silas sucked, picks are still young, Ime does not suck, etc. Given that you gotta roll the dice again with the 1.4 pick.

daywalker02 and JusBleezy like this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I hope it's true but you can't believe this stuff when it comes to the draft. Teams are leaking truths, half-truths and total BS about themselves and each other to get what they want. It's fun to speculate, but I've learned not to pay too much attention to the pre-draft hype and just focus on a couple of experts' views.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Alt account? Sounds literally like a certain someone else.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In other words, he falls to #4.

cheke64 likes this.
  7. BasketballMind

No, hence why I mentioned it's be better if the Rockets not trade valuable assets/picks for Scoot. They have a great coaching staff and they're in the position to sign a star and trade for another. Jalen Green arguably could have been drafted #1 and nearly everyone thought Jabari would go #1. They have Sengun and Eason as well. Just keep the #4 pick or trade it for an established player and/or future picks. There's no sense in losing assets and flexibility over Scoot.

8. BasketballMind

Not unless this mystery dude was also awarded the key to Missouri City lol. No It's just common sense. People have literally complained about players who were asked to purposely tank games. I personally believe KPJ will play much better next season. There aren't many guards capable of putting up the numbers he has and he's still young. Bro I don't see how people have the kind of time to find out if someone has an alt account or know if someone is saying something that sounds like one of the other thousands of posters lol. It's not that serious.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Key of Missouri City? That sounds like a good story to tell.

BamBam likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The reports about Houston’s desire for a PG in free agency including Harden or Van Fleet etc should signal their intentions to upgrade at the position and their view that KPJ isn’t the answer at point. His contract is interesting since it is only guaranteed for next year and the last 3 years are non guaranteed with club option for 4th year meaning he could be released at any point. His contract makes it easier to include him in a deal for teams looking to take back a one year deal. Interesting what they will do with him this summer.

#110 Stephen_A, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Read by response to @harold bingo
    I do believe they will try to move him and his contract is set up so Rockets can move him easily with only the first year guaranteed. If the Rockets are considering other options at SG including Reaves and their desire to upgrade at the 1 and 3 position, with Tari as a possible backup 3. And if they draft Amen, they would have a logjam at the guard spot making KPJ expendable. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Im operating under the assumption that Reaves and Cam Johnson are not attainable given that their teams are likely to match contract offers. But I really like guys like Bruce Brown, Josh Hart, and Gary Trent Jr. I also view KPJ as a starting caliber shooting guard. And while I believe Jalen Geen has the highest upside on our team, I’m least convinced of his mental toughness. There are lots of options at 2-guard, both on the roster and in free agency. Most of all I want to get our franchise player out of this draft….which is Scoot. If our guys think it’s Amen Thompson I’m okay with that.

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

I literally just said the same thing out loud. This is what you teach children, not draft worthy players. They should have mastered that skill 10 years ago. I can assure you they are going to go right back to their crappy normal form in the heat of a game. They won't remember to pull their elbow and release high. They'll side arm that ***** as they're trying to jump over someone. Not gonna work.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

theDude likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why is it unbelievable? There’s no complete player especially ones that just entered a post high school pre NBA program. Amen didn’t enter OTE after graduating high school as some on here believe. He actually skipped his senior year to sign with OTE. Many high school and collegiate players have yet to even form a solid identity of who they are as a player. Shooting coaches are there for a reason and players use them to tweak their mechanics and smooth out wrinkles in their game. Even NBA players use shooting coaches and as I said before it’s about progression of the players and you can’t expect every player to be on the same level with every aspect of the game. That’s unrealistic.

#115 Stephen_A, Jun 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Whitmore just seems like a Udoka type player.

Dredd and Snow Villiers like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Apparently Steph Curry and Klay Thompson were taught how to shoot at age 21 and look at those results!!!!!! C’mon guys….shooting the basketball is wayyyyy overrated in the NBA. If he works with Sully then Amen could be as good as Thybulle someday. Can’t wait for that!!!

Rokman likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or Udoka seems like a Whitmore type of guy who would coach him.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes. In the past they would show previous years mock drafts...guessing the sites are paying them not do that. Lol