1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All of Amen Thompson’s makes and misses from 3 at OTE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

man reeko REALLY doesn't want amen lol. man out here leading a whole anti-amen campaign by himself. getting close to bobby tier.

Little Bit and Stephen_A like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think you can say Whitmore has Amen's level of ceiling for two reasons. One, his athleticism is not all-quadrants the way Amen's is. Whitmore has comparable straight-line athleticism and almost as much verticality, but he doesn't have the same kind of agility or body control. He is not a smooth, fluid athlete the same way Amen is. Two, just going to mention once again, less than one assist per game. You're never going to see Whitmore average 4 or 5 assists in the NBA, let alone 8-10+ like Amen could manage. And if Amen's handle is inconsistent, Whitmore's is downright bad.

If you're high on Whitmore, maybe you think he works his way into something close to Jaylen Brown. ~25 points per game on decent efficiency, 6 or 7 rebounds, second option on a contending team. That's definitely a lower ceiling than Amen's "if everything maximizes", which would be like MVP-contending, 25+ point triple double machine kind of potential.

Something about Cam's game just bothers me though when I watch the tape. He just looks hesitant. He doesn't have the same kind of confident decisiveness and high feel that Amen does. It really makes me worry that Cam will disappoint a lot of people and end up being more like KJ Martin. And, well, we already have a KJ Martin, and might trade him just to make room on the roster before he has to be extended.

Little Bit likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you look at the video you can also see nobody closes out on Amen's shots not only are his defenders so much smaller than him they dotn even close out and watch him shoot most of the time.

That's why it's crazy to me people take Amen over Ausar and Brandon Miller makes zero sense.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I bet Cam would look plenty confident if he was playing against people 4 years younger than himself.

And even if it's true that Cam has a lower ceiling (which I'm not convinced is true), I would argue that it's far more likely that Cam reaches his ceiling than Amen does. I think that should be considered too.

Sen89 and Noob Cake like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

I’m just putting out information

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I ran out of coffee creamer. I'll catch you haters later.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't want either of the Thompsons at 20.

6'7 Giannis isn't an NBA player.

On top of that, the team desperately needs shooting... there's some questions about Whitmore and Walker shooting the ball, but Whitmore matched Tari Eason's 3 point shooting last season and Walker beat it.... and Tari was our second best 3 point shooter last season.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This is incomplete half-court data.

I believe this is the full half-court data set:
    [​IMG]

Both Ausar and Amen had problems finishing, though I think Amen did a better job of improving his finishing as the season went on (Ausar's numbers were still around 40% IIRC for half-court layups). There are minor concerns about whether each avoids contact and the spin/angle they use, but I think most experts think both will be excellent finishers in the NBA.

Stephen_A and OremLK like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

4th pick was really a disaster for this team. Never wanted either of the twins from day 1 and still don't

still hoping they trade it. best thing to do by far

Richie_Rich likes this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I, for one, appreciate all of the information I can get.

xaos likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

I'm pretty anti-Miller. I want Amen a million times over him....but if we draft him I'll look forward to him as a satellite to Sengun. Some posters absolute hatred of kids is so wild to me. We still have posters 2 years later ******** on Green lol.

If Ausar can fix his shot so can his brother. Ausar had to because he had no choice.

OremLK likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By "hate" you merely mean "criticize".

Normal people criticize bad players for playing poorly rather than praising players for playing poorly. It's not "hate"....people criticize underperforming players like Green or bad prospects like Amen for the same reason they criticize bad players like Nix.

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I keep seeing people say his passing can be worked on. I'd say it is more feel than passing, but regardless of those semantics, are we sure this is true?

From Spinella's write-up on Cam:
    Now I have Cam 2nd after Amen in my board (assuming Scoot and Miller go 2 and 3...though I have Amen and Cam over Miller). So I'm happy to ignore this too and just see what happens with him.

Nevertheless, I find it odd how many people think Amen/Ausar will *never* be able to shoot (a skill that is maybe the easiest to develop, and there are multiple examples of this being true), but Cam will easily be able to develop his feel/passing skills (with no examples that this can be done so easily). Cam has a lot of unique circumstances around him that might make this much more possible, but I'm not sure I'm more optimistic about this than Amen's shooting.

Sorry, not really picking on you specifically, but just speaking to some of the discussion around Cam in general. This is definitely a legit concern and not something that should be handwaved away.

OremLK likes this.
  14. H. Christopher

The Synergy data for OTE is not good and I would not trust it

Nook likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Still probably more trustworthy than an Amen Thompson jumpshot though.

maj21 likes this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

I see a little bit, but I see a lot of Miles Bridges. He’s like a clone of him

Reeko likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can see that too…Miles Bridges is a good comp

What do u think Amen will likely be in the NBA?

18. maj21

maj21 Member

I agree, but was good on C&S 3s. Hendricks is my guy too and I would love him, but there’s no star upside with him. I would love his fit defensively and his floor spacing. We need that so bad. I’m torn lol

BaselineFade and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

I think he will be the version of Russell Westbrook we’ve seen recently, but a worse shooter. He has more defensive upside. He can also just that can’t make his way in the rotation. I think OTE was a huge mistake for them

Reeko likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a conundrum. We've stocked the pond with guys who need the ball in their hands to be the best versions of themselves. Adding another guy to that dynamic means the ball would be spread thin. I REALLY like Cam. I've been watching him for a while and was red hot on him prior to his college season. He battled some nagging injuries this year and never really popped like I thought he would. Still a ton to work with, but Im not sure our roster would offer him the best place to truly be himself and Im not sure he offers a "superstar" possibility more than the other guys we've drafted high. We are at the place where fit does have to be a factor.

maj21 likes this.