1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree with this to a degree, however I do think that there is a correlation between how much a player's success depends on his athleticism and how much longevity he can potentially have. That's why guys like CP3, Nash, Stockton just kept chugging along and played into their late 30s.

In his prime, I think Harden kind of had both aspects to his game. He was never an ultra-explosive athlete, but he did used to have a great first step and his game has always relied on his strength and ability to finish through contact. I think we've already seen his driving decline significantly as those attributes have faded. But commensurately, his passing and step-back game have improved.

Does he have enough skill to overcome his aging physical capabilities and still average at least 15 and 10 for awhile? Maybe. I suspect it will depend on injuries and how seriously he takes conditioning and diet.

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

IMHO he was never a bad teammate OR a good role model/leader!! He's always been an offensive force to be reckoned with and a defensive liabilty on most nights! Focusing on only one side of the coin is being presumptious and ignoring half the facts. Can he help the kids? Yes! Can he hinder their growth as well? Yes! Is he the best available free agent? Yes! At his age and at this stage of his career is giving him the max a huge risk? I also say Yes! Father time is still undefeated!!!

The conundrum the Rockets face is real!!
    Green was speaking the truth when he spoke in that podcast. :cool:

I'm fine with whatever the Rockets/Ime decide to do! Just don't trade Green/Sengun/Bari/Tari before seeing what Udoka can do with them!! I' going to be very disappointed if they trade them..... unless it's for an undeniable NBA BLUE CHIP!!!

Go Rockets!!!

3. Landry's Tooth

I'm literally back and forth on Harden.

I'm kind of in the camp now of give me a better option???.

There is no one as a free agent that's an obvious fit. Now you're giving up assets to trade for 2 stars.

You're clearing out probably all the brooklyn picks, #4, and probably Jalen Green to land your guys...

Signing Harden means maybe only losing some assets to trade for one guy...

For example....

Would you move:

Jalen Green
    All Brooklyn Picks
    KPJ
    Tate

To get Mikal Bridges and Jaylen Brown?

Or do you move #4, Jaylen Green, and Tate for Jaylen Brown and sign Harden keeping your Brooklyn picks?

The cap space of Harden's deal stinks, but if you can hold onto those Brooklyn picks it's possible you're drafting his replacement on a rookie deal while he's a potato on the bench costing 40 million....

I can see both angles... doing nothing to me is the worst case scenario....

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Paul tends to wear out his welcome wherever he goes.

5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Hope both stone n fertitta wont play back seat drivers roles this time with respect to FA signing, players swapping n waivering etc.

2019-2020 ditching contracts n reshuffling roster
    2020-2021 ditching contracts n tanking for top three picks
    2021-2022 tanking for wemby
    Yea i can't see any excuses that this team ain't go all out for wins as well as player development.

BamBam likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I get the feeling what's going on is absolutely no one in the Rockets organization wants Harden back except possibly Tilman and Patrick. I don't think Harden wants to come here, what he really wants is to solicit an offer from the Rockets which he can show to Philly management as leverage. In order to do that, Harden may be sweet-talking Tilman and Patrick.

Stone (via Feigen) and Udoka's statements do not sound like those of someone wanting to sign Harden. They have been so aggressively stating that the core is important and Fertitta believes there's a few all stars in our core. They have stated that they would go for a home run but in general they are looking for pieces to supplement this core. They have talked about how defense, rim protection and shooting is important. This does not sound like an organization that is desperate to sign James Harden.

If you look at what the Rockets have said in isolation, it paints a very different picture than the rumors. The Rockets have no incentive to deceive the media in this respect. It has to be coming from Harden and the Fertittas must be falling for it. I don't think he has any intention of signing with us which is a relief. I want to get him as the final piece to a contender puzzle, not as the first.

We need to hand 2/3rds of the keys to the offense to Green and Sengun. We need a rim protector and a floor general that help Green/Jabari/Sengun do their job while bringing productivity themselves.

I'm glad people have mostly cooled on the Harden idea. It was giving me PTSD and making me think there's fire behind the smoke.

#3406 Mathloom, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
    cml750, OremLK and jch1911 like this.
  7. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Nick nurse enough to keep James in philly?

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Surprised they didn’t go after Monty

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Was thinking this too. Nurse our former Vipers coach and a Morey favorite. It would seem to me like Harden was included or considered in this decision. Someone who will let him be "himself" i.e. the Rockets version of himself.

Interestingly, Embiid and Nurse talked **** to each other after the Raptors beat Philly. It does feel like Morey is EXTREMELY powerful in Philly, moreso than Embiid.

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He does not CARE about Nick Nurse….he has a connection with Coach Ime and Coach Ivey with Brooklyn…Harden coming to Houston….

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Here's something else to think about: If the reports are true, Nurse could have chosen between the Suns and Sixers.

Do you really think he chose a team that might be left with only Embiid and no cap space vs the most talented team in the NBA? The Suns are willing to pay up for a coach so it's not a money issue.

Something tells me he knows Morey is matching anything and Harden will stay if they do.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Harden cannot win with Embiid! Celtics, Heat and the Bucks are better than the 76ers next year. They are not going to trade Tobias(expiring contract) for a STAR?

Harden is a top 20 player
    They can do a sign and trade for Bridges
    Sengun will improve this year and be a 20 and 10 Center
    Green will average 25+ a game, shooting 45% FG and 36% behind the 3 point line

we might have a better team than the 76ers

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Nurse's desire to coach MVP Joel Embiid and his history with Sixers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey played a significant part in his decision to commit to a deal with Philadelphia, sources said. Nurse separated himself in the interview process, selling a vision for the Sixers centered on Embiid.”

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Monty sucks…he’s Doc Rivers with a shorter resume

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Is Rico Hines moving with Nick Nurse? If you you have your answer.

17. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I don’t think Nurse moves the needle for PHI, moving Tobias’s contract for long winged defenders is the only way they can improve

BigShasta likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure how these things are measured. Assuming they are valid, it's interesting that the Sixers have two top 5 on-ball gravity guys and the Warriors have two top 5 off-ball gravity guys. And both of these teams got bumped in the second round.

HP3 likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

What's crazy is that Steph/ Lillard is top 10 in both. :eek::eek::eek:

Easy likes this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not really any surprises. I guess based on my perception of him as a player I’m kinda surprised Tatum would be that high as an off ball guy and not make the list on ball. He doesn’t strike me as the “can’t leave this guy no matter what type shooter” like the rest of the off ball list.

HP3 likes this.