1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How about both? With both you could get extremely deep penetration inside with Black/Dick pick and roll ftw.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No doubt he would've been a disappointment, but he'd still have some use on the bench hopefully. I'm more worried about the dude that's a great shooter in college, ends up being not a great shooter in the pros, and ends up overseas or something. Both can be called busts, but one was just useless. In any case, I'm not saying Gradey Dick will become that, but it's always in the back of my mind with guys known for one thing which is why I was wondering if he was very good-to-great at any other things.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Gotcha.

4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

So, some crappy exhibition games. Lulz.

5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

With Dick you have a much better baseline to judge, because he played against similar talented players and was a very good player as a freshman in one of the toughest conferences in the country. I wouldn't be opposed to Dick at 4, if a trade back wasn't available. This is a 3-person draft, and we didn't get those picks. It's ok to get a top-level wing role player that makes your team better.

6. fattz

fattz Member

Trade our #4 to the Jazz for 9 & 16
    plus we still have 20 if someone falls or as a draft and stash.

point & big
    Wallace, Black or Hood-Schifino
    AND
    Walker, Hendricks or Lively

If any of the six or Dick is still there at 20 draft them otherwise draft the best foreign player and just let them stay put.

comrade likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We don’t need more draft picks this year. We already have 7 recently drafted guys that need mins. If we can’t get value for our current 2 picks (vets or moving up to get Scoot) then stay where you are and get BPA, but adding more picks this year should not be in the equation. I could see trading the picks for future unprotected picks, but not more this year. Finding mins for the 2 we pick this year will be hard enough.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Black and Lively at 6 and 11 after trading the 4th pick.

DD

BaselineFade and fattz like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

what? now you are saying add 2 rookies? smh DD

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can see both sides of the issue here.

I see 10 development players:

PG: Daishen Nix
    PG: TyTy Washington Jr.

SG: Jalen Green
    SG: Kevin Porter Jr.
    SG: Josh Christopher

SF: Tari Eason
    SF: Kenyon Martin Jr.

PF: Jabari Smith Jr.
    PF: Usman Garuba

C: Alperen Sengun

We currently have two picks: 1.4 and 1.20. If we drafted straight on need:

1.4 PG: Scoot Henderson or Amen Thompson or Cason Wallace
    1.20 C: Dereck Lively

If the Rockets were a playoff team, the two rookies would be developed slowly. Lots of time in the G League. PT in blowout losses/wins or injuries. etc.

We would now have 12 development players ... but ... after one year with Ime Udoka, the roster will get trimmed, especially the guards.

With the above roster and draft, the Rockets will still need to sign or trade for a vet PG this offseason. That would leave TyTy or Nix on the outside looking in, for PT. One of the two would likely get moved before the season starts.

If the Harden rumors are true, there will need to be even more roster shakeup. If the team is serious about being a top playoff team, quality veterans will need to traded for, with our development players and draft picks as bait ... this year's picks included.

11. DaDakota

I am not adverse to adding guys to the bench and chasing other NBA vets, I would rather trade the pick for Bridges or Brown - but that is not easy.

The org is telling us exactly what they are doing.

Ime - adding complimentary pieces to our core
    Tillman - We are going to contend
    Stone - Looking for pieces for our core

Outside of Wemby they are not relying on this pick for this year.

BTW - you never said what you think would happen? Don't you have your own opinion or just run around criticizing others?

DD

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What is Indiana doing I wonder? I dont think building a contender in a small market around Halliburton is feasible.

#4+Brooklyn assets+Tate for Halliburton and Turner.

Use #20 and Chrustopher to get Lively.

Sengun/Lively
    Turner/KMJ
    Smith/Eason
    Green/KPJ
    Halliburton

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think there's any chance Haliburton is available right now, you don't let guys like that go when they're on their rookie contracts even if you're a small market. He lowkey could've been All-NBA last season if he had a better supporting cast & Indy had a better record.

Shame, because he would be an absolutely perfect fit with our core.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have very clearly stated my opinion. Said opinion specifically to you actually. It's not my fault that you don't remember as I guess I will reiterate it for you, Mr DD.

You said months ago that the Rockets need veterans and that if they do not get the 1st pick no matter they should trade it for whatever player that's been in the league. That the Rockets do not need another rookie etc etc etc.

I said if the Rockets needed more vets (which they clearly do I agree) they have the most cap space in the league, the clippers pick, have multiple young players (Tate, KMJ, KPJ, Garuba, Christopher, TyTy) that realistically need to be consolidated if you are adding vets because of minute allocation, and lastly, all of the Nets assets if you need to use in addition to the former assets to target a top 25-40ish player that is available.

I said do that... TONS to work with there. AND keep the pick. If memory serves me correctly you did not even respond to that post and ask for my opinion again because all I apparently do is criticize others.

Now it appears you are contradicting yourself completely and hedging what you said about vets. That trade the pick maybe for a vet if not get 2 rookies?!? That is asinine and you know it.

You sound illogical and seemingly in your brain have just simply landed on trading the pick. With either "getting vets because we do not need more young players" or "trade the pick for two top 11 pick rookies"

So hell yeah I guess I am criticizing all of that because it makes absolutely zero sense.

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Trade 4 this year for a pick next year (when we don’t have one). No player worth much at 4. Amen will spend the next 3 years in g league trying to learn how to not shoot 22% wide open threes with 20% of those being air balls.

16. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Actually since we ALREADY have #4 and #20 and will be selecting 2 rooks even without his trade, that would actually mean getting 3 rookies!
    I'm actually ok with that if our braintrust has decided they're ready to give up on some of our other youngsters (Nix, KMJ, TyTy, Josh, Garuba).
    I think there will be several players at #11 that have better potential than any of the 5 I listed and there may still be better prospects available at #20!

As for #4 I've been an Amen guy from what I've seen so far but another player the more I watch of his game and research him that's REALLY been growing on me is Anthony Black.
    I love his court vision and passing ability.
    You can tell his BBIQ is really high.
    He always seems to play under control.
    One thing I've seen him do I haven't from Amen is to manipulate defenses just to get others a shot.
    He seems to have a lot of the subtle finer points down at an early age which bodes well for the future.

Very good defender and probably an even better team defender with his quick hands and his BBIQ.

His main minuses are that his shot and offense in general needs work, although his shooting form is much better than Amen's atm.
    And he doesn't have a freakish wingspan.

But he's a full 6'7'', which is great for a PG and he's got a 39" vertical as well at 214 lbs.
    And he's also over a year younger (1.25) than the Thompson twins.
    And at 214 lbs. he still looks a little chubby/soft so once he gets in an NBA training regimen he may become even bigger/faster/more explosive than he is now!

I just think that he brings soo many things this team needs right now and going forward.
    Except that he's not an outside sniper yet.

BaselineFade and jch1911 like this.
  17. DaDakota

18. DaDakota

My preference is to trade the pick as part of a package for like Bridges or Brown, if not that, then to trade down and get Lively.

That is it in a nutshell, to keep it simple for you.

DD

peleincubus likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Black is an interesting prospect if we trade down. He will definitely need to bulk up and work on his shooting mechanics. He seems limited with his offensive potential based on his college footage. Kind of reminds me of a pre knee injury Shaun Livingston

jch1911 likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So again no matter what trade the pick. For what was first stated as do not get another young player to if not get this specific young player. Got it say no more lol