1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Scoot’s shooting issue isn't really compatible to Amen’s. Incredibly huge difference between tweaking/improving a shot and entirely building a new form.

Denovo, Nook, ROCK3TM4N and 2 others like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shooting improvement is kind of a hit or miss thing (pun intended). Some people do improve significantly, and many others don't.

Shooting form is just one factor and pretty much the only thing that can be taught. But the most foundational factor for being a good shooter is an innate shooting touch. If you don't have it at an elite level, you won't be a good shooter at the NBA level. You might be able to work hard and improve to a point where you are somewhat adequate.

If it's just about form and practice, everybody can be Steph Curry. That's clearly not true. You don't think most NBA players want to be a good shooter, especially in today's NBA?

Corpusfan and NewAge like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Make no mistake, right now Tillman is calling the shots with Patrick and Stone answering to him.

Rudyc281, saleem, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

There is a genuine chance that either Scoot or Miller is there at #4. Almost every team likes Scoot, but there is a wide range of opinions on Henderson and Miller and Thompson, as far as the order is concerned. Over the next month a lot can happen. Some basketball people that meet Miller, just don't like him. Players now are expected to be very media saavy coming out, and that isn't Miller, who is more like most 19 year old kids.

Jags, No Worries, Easy and 3 others like this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

If they are not **** Rafael disrespectfully. He has to do everything possible on green earth to get him. If he can't he can't but he should try. We probably still don't have a franchise cornerstone and he could be that.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They don't like Miller because of the "Ray Lewis" thing, or is he simply an A-hole, or all of the above....?

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

Thank you. I’ve been getting my ass chewed out on here and Reddit for even suggesting Amen goes before Scoot

If Amen goes #2 do you see any chance of Ausar going before Scoot or Miller?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, Ime does seem like a headstrong character but his scandal could possibly make him more hesitant to resist Stone and both Fertittas.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shooting is the number 1 most important skill.

Please look for shooting.

DD

10. Nook

Nook Member

Nah, there are other skills you can be taught.... dribbling, coming off screens, even athleticism and court awareness to a point can be improved with proper training. There are obviously limitations to how much you can get better with time, but shooting is something more so than athleticism that can improve with hard work, proper guidance and time.

The league is full of guys that came into the league as limited shooters that improved with time and hard work. I agree with you that there are no guarantees, but most people do improve to a degree with time. The case of Amen Thompson is more extreme than someone like Scoot Henderson, because his fundamentals until about 9 months ago were terrible.

I don't expect Amen Thompson to even become a 39-40% three point shooter (but it is possible), but I do expect him to become a good enough shooter when his athleticism and passing ability is considered. Ja Morant, Paolo Banchero, Deáaron Fox are some examples of guys that really are not good shooters but have success. There are guys like Russell Westbrook and Shai Alexander are poor 3 point shooters - but those guys are still very accomplished.

Deuce, slothy420, Easy and 3 others like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

SGA isn't really a poor 3 point shooter and he definitely doesn't belong in the same category as Westbrick. SGA's offensive game as a 3 level scorer, is just so versatile and well rounded he uses everything else to get buckets over just jacking 3's. No team is going to just let SGA put up wide open 3s on a regular basis like they would not even guarding guys out there like westbrick

#91 YOLO, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't think so, he could quit today and have a new job tomorrow.

burlesk likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

As expected. I dread what will this lead too. We have had enough of the consequences of the Westbrook trade.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just think this is a small minded view of height. I don't even think organizations factor height as much as they do standing height and reach now. Why would they? Scoot has a 6'9 wingspan. That's the same as Eric Gordon, who was able to use that wingspan to play much larger than he is. Scoot is also built like a tank. So between that length and his strength, size will not be an issue. I also don't think it's fair to describe him as a non-shooter. His 3 point percentage was terrible, that's true - but his mid-range game looks good and he's a solid free throw shooter (unlike Amen Thompson). Most of the guys coming into the league today aren't elite at shooting yet. Brandon Miller is really the only exception to that in the projected top 5 this year - but he has other question marks.

It's weird, man. Feels like you guys won't be happy until we're creating them in a lab and they have the size, strength and althleticism of Giannis with the jumper of Steph and the court vision and passing of CP3. Those guys don't exist. Even Wenbanyama, who is lauded for how good his shot is, shot 27.5% from three in France this past season.

Nook, YOLO, Corpusfan and 1 other person like this.
  16. PatBev

PatBev Member

I am taking into account standing height and wing span which is why I go with Amen or even Ausar

All we talk about is Hendersons 3pt shot. I don’t care about his jumper. But this board brushes off Scoots shooting as easily fixable but claim no hope for Amen which seems to be a “small minded view” as you put it. Same with how him being built like a tank somehow makes his height a non issue on defense or being guarded by bigger guards

I’m not asking for a Giannis to be built in the lab for us. I’m just saying take Amen because of his size, athleticism, versatility and ability to guard the 1-4 position

I just think this board is too high on Scoot just like most people wanted Ivey over Banchero last year

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Overly worrying about Scoot's height is kinda odd to me. It would be one thing if he were like 5 foot something, but 6'2"? There are lots of star players currently in the league who are right around that height.

I don't think we're at the stage where we need to expend too much effort worrying what kind of superstar we get, we just need to get one (or more).

Williamson likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Since when is a pg at 6'2 with a 6'9 wingspan with already an nba body at 19 some kind of issue

Stop it

Jags and Williamson like this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m just think 5 years down the line as guys age out and teams start looking at the Lamelo and Shai who are 6’6+ and can play point. Even Durant says in 10 years you won’t have a player under 6’7 on the court

If Scoot was the only point guard option I wouldn’t have a problem drafting him but when you put the twins in front of me I’ll take my chances on them over Scoot. These are just my opinions

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think it's fair to have Amen over Scoot, I disagree but I don't think it's a crazy view or anything. I do agree that league is trending taller for perimeter players.

But even still, do you not believe in young guys like Donovan Mitchell, Anthony Edwards, Ja Morant (if somebody takes away his guns lol), De'Aaron Fox, Jalen Brunson? Because I think that group is going to be very good for a very long time. Not sure if any of them will be the best player on a championship team, but it certainly looks possible, and even if not, who's to say they couldn't at least be the second star? Like what Jamal Murray has just done to help Jokic finally make it to the promised land?

Williamson likes this.