1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Danny Ainge will be all over him.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hated on Austin Rivers coming into the league. But he has earned my respect over his career. I can’t disagree with what he said, but I’ll take consistency over erratic swings any day. That said, Austin Reaves is going to get overpaid, and I hope it’s not us. If we do add him we better have a plan for clearing our shooting guard logjam. But I think the Lakers will match a reasonable deal.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that’s just crazy. One year of solid production shouldn’t net u that kind of money. And frankly the Poole and Barret contracts are evidence of such.

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

We could get Reaves for $20 mil /yr and Hachmaura for $15 mill /yr. Both young enough and great players. Y

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree with you. GS is definitely regretting that Poole contract. In order to get Reeves we would have to offer close to 4 years 30 million to keep La from matching, especially if Lebron is coming back (which of course he will, he is just being the drama queen he has always been). I like Reeves, but no he is not the answer at PG and is not worth more than 25M max.

Little Bit and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Love how definite you are. You won’t be able to get Reaves for $20 mil year.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

Reaves maybe. Rui is still a no for me. Rui had a good showing against the Nuggets early on, but as the series kept going, he wasn't exactly the anti Jokic. They had to put AD back on Jokic. Rui to me is still more of a one way player.

LAL overachieved sure, but they were still swept.

With the new cap rules GMs have to be choosy how they lock in future money.

Mathloom likes this.
  8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Lakers can match offers for both of them. At those prices, I am pretty sure the Lakers will match.

I'm not sure what sort of draft picks they have left in their cupboard, but if we took Mo Bamba off their hands for some seconds, they could offer Kyrie a max deal, then match on Reaves and Rui. We get a decent backup center who blocks and shoots threes, and they are capped with some overpriced flashes in the pan.

I know a deal that nets them Kyrie seems like we're helping them, but I'm not so sure that would be the case.

Little Bit and invocux like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Bamba's contract is not guaranteed Yet.

They could simply renounce him and create that $10m with no help from outside.

His contract becomes guaranteed on 6/29.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Do you think the trade for Bamba was just a dump? They sent out Beverley, 2nd round pick and cash. They didn't trade anything super valuable, but they traded something. I wonder if they want to just renounce Bamba since it looked like they can really use someone to give them 10-15 minutes behind AD. I guess they can get that for the minimum though.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/nothing-will-be-easy-for-the-lakers-this-offseason-161534015.html

“All it takes is one team who wants to f*** the Lakers,” one cap strategist told Yahoo Sports. A suitor could just outright value Reaves at a number past $20 million in annual salary as well. An obvious candidate: the Rockets, holding upward of $60 million in cap space with the goal of competing next season and the potential need of alternative plans should James Harden ultimately spurn a Houston homecoming.

Reaves qualifies as an Arenas Rule player, a restricted free agent after two years of service, which would put an estimated maximum of his next contract around four years, $100 million. Similar to when Brooklyn tried to lure Tyler Johnson away from the Miami Heat in 2016 — when the Nets offered Johnson a deal that started around $6 million in each of the first two years and ballooned to roughly $20 million in each of the final two seasons — a rival team could offer Reaves a fat contract that, once the Lakers matched, would begin at around $12 million and then leap well past Johnson’s $20 million salary for the final two seasons.

TAB, jim1961, sirjesse and 3 others like this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The most any team is allowed to offer Reaves is 4 years/ $98.5m

I'd have to think that he will get that offer from someone. As mentioned by others, the Lakers have the right to match.

invocux and jch1911 like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Definitely wouldn't count that out as a possibility.

I think it's highly likely that they don't reup with Russell, he played his way out of a contract in that Denver series, he was a total no show.

That really changes the math for the Lakers on Reaves & Hachimura.

I think they match Reaves up to his max. They aren't letting him get away.

Hachimura is interesting too being restricted. He's going to get a hefty raise from the ~$6.2m he earned last year and has a cap hold of $18.8m which is quality starter money in the league. MLE money is $12.2m and that's his floor. I'm not real sure how many cap space teams would make him offers over that .... those teams are a list of early lottery teams other than Utah - Dallas, Indiana & OKC also have enough cap space to offer more than the MLE. Maybe Indiana??

I don't have time to do the math right now but if they part ways with D'Lo and the $31,377,750 he made last year and not picking up the option on Bamba, they might be able to stay below the first apron and use their MLE to replace him after matching both Reaves & Hachimura.

That would leave a pretty big hole behind Davis on the depth chart, he's going to miss 40 games like clockwork. They'll need to find a cheap alternative to fill the void.

(I'll check the math on all these options later tonight).

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Hillbilly Kobe? That's a nah from me. I don't like the value or the fit. Also, if I'm Reaves, what better place to be a rich white guy than LA?

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Rich White Guy in Salt Lake is better. Ask Karl Malone and Stockton. Both white players.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets overpaying for Reeves would be like when they overpaid for Trevor Ariza the first time -- fresh off his title playoff run with the Lakers.

17. xaos

xaos Member

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d do it.

xaos likes this.
  19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Hard Pass

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like the kid, he has moxie, chutzpah, etcetera.
    $25,000,000 per season? It'll probably happen anyway. But how many shooting guards do we need.

kubli9 likes this.