1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol..... it is not about who is better in limited games but I guess to each one his own.

The Magic are looking for a clear Number 1 who has the green light to shoot whatever number.

The Rockets are not even sure what they are looking for, I presume a Number 1, a Number 2 or Number 3.......but he has to shoot efficiently.

The reason why is there was no hierarchy before Ime Udoka.

And Banchero seems to be the guy who could carry a franchise, just not sure where exactly.......Play In or Playoffs.

Banchero obviously helped winning 34-35 games but he was not alone on this.........he obviously can win more with better percentages.

#61 daywalker02, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
    saleem and Dredd like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

My view is that Banchero does have the edge right now; it's harder to be a higher-usage player. More fatiguing, you get more focused by defenses when they know the team is likely going to you to make something happen. Banchero also flashed very good playmaking ability for a young rookie PF.

But I also do not think you can conclusively decide he will always be the better player right now. Jabari is a bit younger, and he has more two-way, off-ball upside to fit into a team concept, whereas Banchero kind of needs to become an elite offensive player given the way he plays. There is a world where Banchero can't step up his scoring efficiency and the team is forced to move him into more of a secondary role, in which case he's... what? David West? And there's also a world where Jabari just keeps getting better and evolves into a KG type of player. Not saying either of those are likely outcomes, but we just don't know right now.

Also, the Rockets didn't have an opportunity to pick Paolo so it's a moot point from our perspective.

seclusion and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Banchero looks like he is shorter like David West who is 6'8....

In reality Banchero should be close to 6'10-6'11 as well, he just looks like he has more flesh on his bones.

He has got a big head and short neck.

With that kind of height, it is not as hard to have vision and pass it around. On the contrary.

If he is tall David West as you might have suggested then he has a little of Chris Paul's talent as well.

#63 daywalker02, May 25, 2023
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I see two possible deals for Scoot at #2 or #3: Mikal Bridges and Pascal Siakam.
    If TOR or BKN buy into him being a cornerstone they have the goods to start a rebuild.
    So chances of him being available at #4 are pretty low, IMO.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

why does being 6'3 matter when you play like you're 6'10. the dude is built like a linebacker at 19 years old. imagine in 2-3 years, he is going to be physically dominant and a bully.

Scoot-Green-KPJ is a really nice and exciting 3 guard rotation....and if you can get KPJ to buy in as an off-ball player (but stagger a lot of the minutes with Henderson) then it could be really dynamic. We also could really use his competitive attitude and energy. Look at the first play here from two years ago:

Having a player that can push the ball with pace is exactly what this team needs. Throw some money @ CP3 and Cam Thomas and we have a nice little squad that could compete for play-in.

The big caveat is you probably need to lose 2-3 first round picks + Sengun to acquire Scoot. Sengun to Charlotte makes a lot of sense. I'd love to see a trade like :

Houston Out : #4 2023 / #20 2023 / Brooklyn 2024 First / Brooklyn 2025 Swap / Alperen Sengun / Ja'sean Tate / KJ Martin

Charlotte Out: #2 2023 / #27 2023 / Mark Williams / James Bouknight

Houston Rockets Lineup 2023:

Scoot Henderson / CP3
    Jalen Green / Josh C / Bouknight
    KPJ / Tari Eason / Rando FA
    Cam Thomas / #27 Pick
    Jabari Smith / Mark Williams / Garuba

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Scoots dad is a coach and trainer and his parents own a training facility

If this man hasn’t learned to shoot by now what make you think he’ll magically become “just fine as a shooter”?

NewAge and DaDakota like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Are the Rockets interested in Scoot Henderson? Yes - just about every team in the league is.

Do the Rockets value Henderson enough to try and move up? It’s still early in the process, but from what I have heard he isn’t their clear cut #2 prospect.

Also, keep in mind that at this point a lot of teams are very open to Amen Thompson being as high as the #2 prospect in the draft. While it is true that Amen cannot shoot (yet), but the rest of the package is exceptional.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ime is calling the shots now Stone is just a spokesperson…it’s going to come down to who and what Ime values.

Dredd likes this.
  9. PatBev

PatBev Member

Been saying this since last week and everybody just acts like I’m a dumbass

Nook likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

doesn't matter if his parents own an NBA team. Shooting form comes down to mechanics and if you believe in those mechanics, its almost like a religion.

Alot of coaches or parents will never touch a players form, its just the common ground with everyone. I for sure would trust Lucas to **** it up more.

But yeah, scoot's elbow looks to be sticking out to the right when he shoots

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I mean, he's already pretty good from the midrange and is about average from three? So basically he already can shoot, and I don't see any reason to think he can't get at least a bit better as a shooter.

Nook and saleem like this.
  12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Matters a little bit. How does his dad not fix that when it’s basically his career to do so and his son is a top prospect

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Let this **** go gents. This is just like the Bryce talk for the Texans. It's a waste of time. Bryce was lost the final w of the season and we all knew it and yet we continued to talk up the idea of him landing in our laps.
    Scoot was lost the night of the lottery. Make peace with it and don't get your hopes up anymore.

saleem likes this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/4th-overall-draft-picks-nba

CP is one of my scoot comps and he went #4

ITS HAPPENING!!!

Honestly we can probably forget about Miller also. Historically #3 hits the most superstars iirc. As you can see in the link at least going back to 98, odds are we get a very solid lower tier all star level guy or high tier role player at 4, with very small chance its a possible HOF level player.

15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Do you really think skills can't improve after the age of 19?

You don't have to look hard to find NBA players that improved their shooting after college.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

you also don't have to look hard to find even more players that never improved their shooting despite "practicing"

He has to completely remake his shot. This isn’t like just putting on weight. It’s far from a given he’ll ever be adequate.

#76 YOLO, May 25, 2023
  17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It's still way early, but if they are enamored with him, I'm glad the Rockets are not tipping it yet. They made their intentions known for a long time with Green and Banchero. I think they are more likely to get Henderson if they don't come off as desperate.

18. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Dang, why bother scouting or developing players then?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

having a foundation/potential to build upon is completely different than having to start from scratch. He falls on the latter

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I have trust in Scoot improving his 3pt shot. His midrange is already pretty good and his form looks fine to me. But that is one of the things I am iffy about with Thompson. His family seems to have done everything to make their sons succeed and they are said to have great work ethic. How come his shot still looks like this? So yeah, I do see the argument of why someone hasn't improved their form by the age of 19. But I don't really see it with Scoot. If Amen had Scoots shooting form I'd be a lot more comfortable with him.