1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, they aren't interested and wisely so, KPJ is better.

Or

Yes, they are interested and this is a smokescreen.

You choose your own narrative.

DD

maj21 and UTSA2step like this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The GM Stone LOVES tall, athletic point guards….he desperately wanted Cade…..tried to make KPJ out of a point guard….then Nix? Since Tuesday, I keep saying to myself, Rockets do not like small point guards. I believe Stone wants Amen, because of his length, athleticism and defense capabilities…..rebound and blocking shots at 6’7.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen is year away, he needs to work on his shot but after he create decent shot…..he reminds me of LaMelo Ball

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Amen so interesting tho. Larry Hughes back in 98 couldn’t shoot FT or 3s but he could get to the paint like Amen. Hughes had a mediocre career but Amen has great awareness on offense and is a willing passer. He is also far more explosive than Hughes. Amen is an intriguing prospect.

BaselineFade, NewAge, Arnel and 2 others like this.
  5. Ancient Moabite

Well there's always two sides of a coin, appreciate your side of it, Rockets still should have kept it close to the vest

Arnel likes this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

Our answer is later in this draft Jalen Hood-Schifino. He is a gamer with size that can score on 3 levels and plays both sides of the ball. We don’t need all world talent that may never happen. We already gave our developmental hopes projects to Green & Smith; they both need focusing. The team can’t take on a third player like this because there only 5 spots that play at a time. Porter has me wary after sum years, and he can shoot. Please no more ball dominant incomplete projects. Let’s fill the spot with someone that fits and will do the job “mostly” from day one but can/will grow. JHS could very well see some all star games in his future if put in the right position to succeed.
    He is obtainable with the 20th pick and some our extra wings ie Tate or Martin. One or both need to be moved for Eason to get playing time he has earned. This will do two things at one time.

Porter is not broken just needs instruction. If he does break Washington looked promising but more of a spark plug type till JHS hits his stride. We will be better than okay with this option in the short and long term.

#46 fattz, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Yes please

OremLK and sirjesse like this.
  9. Arnel

Arnel Member

agreed a 100%. Rockets were naive idiots last year before draft. They were drooling and spilling all their beans and info and excitement for Banchero. So much that they made the number one picking team reconsider their plan lol. Wisely so way to go Magic.

The magic didn’t even workout Paolo. Seriously, if they were taking him firsy theyd at least interview and work him out. And rockets were being morons by spilling all info on him and how he was 6’11” or whatever without shoes and how that surprised them and how he would fit on they team etc. Just straight up idiotic amateur hour that likely contributed to Magic redoing their homework and reconsidering last minute.

Ancient Moabite and clos4life like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

March Madness came and Banchero blew up some more.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. Arnel

Arnel Member

sure, but again that was way before the draft. And it was certainly one of the contributors.

but rockets going amateur hour and spilling all their beans even the secret info they only got by actually working him out (as opposed to magic not working him out) wasn’t really the best idea either right? Regardless of how much it did or didn’t impact magic (we will never fully know) it was still completely idiotic

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Where was it stated that the Magic re-considered their plans because of what the Rockets said/did (which sounds damn-near looney). Paolo himself didn't think he would go #1, so he kept pushing his own workouts with the Magic back repeatedly (yes, he was supposed to work out with them). It sounded more like Banchero didn't want to go there. My guess is Orlando wanted him all along at #1, but didn't let it get out, and they just said "damn the interview and workouts, we're drafting him".

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Stop bringing up Banchero, I’m trying to forget about him.

I’m not listening to any rumors or watching player highlights this year. I’ll just wait till draft night to see who we get.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Smart man. This is the time of the year where a lot of people that don't have a lot of information come to conclusions that change damn-near daily. Just wait for draft night and enjoy the 30-to-35 win season that follows. :D

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This Banchero wistfulness is odd. He started strong but finished pretty poorly - opposite of Jabari. So perhaps the narratives were already written.

But Paolo had a worse eFG% than Jabari for the season, fewer rebounds and worse 3P%. He had a higher FG%, but still bad (.427) and for all his credit as a playmaker he had nearly as many TOs as assists. His scoring was obviously higher, but almost all due to usage, where Silas famously “didn’t run any plays for Jabari.”

I think Paolo will be very good, but it isn’t clear at all that he is going to be a superstar or even that he will be better long term than Jabari.

Probably he will improve and be a star … but he could also just remain where he is as an inefficient scorer, mediocre playmaker and poor defender.

We couldn’t get him anyway, but this pining for the lost love is silly.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Banchero is a much better player than Jabari. He’s years ahead of him on almost every skill, but who knows what kind of player Jabari turns into. I like that he won’t spend another year with Silas.

Paolo was basically praying to be a Rocket. Player connections here etc. It was a strange last second change with the Vegas betting line. I don’t want to get hyped up in pre draft rumors this year….. but someone is going to slip to #4. Scoot or Miller.

17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

That is a nice qualitative opinion, strongly asserted, but those skills haven’t translated to “much better” or “years ahead” actual performance on anything but usage.

cbass likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Exactly. Jabari will be the best from that draft in my opinion.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

Why would they be interested? He’s not that good. I would take him if he fell to us bc there’s some upside, but I wouldn’t trade up for him.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is not as good a rebounder, not as good a 3pt shooter, not as good a defender, not as good a ft shooter, so no, he’s not year’s ahead on even a majority of skills. Jabari has a much higher upside and is already a better player in spite of having the worst coach in nba history. I have posted these stats before, and they don’t take into account how they performed down the stretch where Jabari was showing massive improvement and Banchero was declining.

http://global.nba.com/players/vs/#!/paolo_banchero/jabari_smith

cmlmel77 likes this.