1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Everyone and their grandmother in the media (inluding my homie JVG) thinks we landed a great coach in Udoka! Let's give HIM a chance to decide who he thinks will best help the Rockets go from bottom dwellers to championship contenders in a couple of years!! I'm positive he will have a major say on who we should try to get in free agency!! I'm ok with who ever the Rockets decide to pursue, just as long as they don't do something foolish in trading our young core of Green/Sengun/Bari/Tari!!

(P.S.) I would add KPJ to the core, but I'm not sure he's going to make it under Ime's rein...

In Udoka we trust!!
    "This is the way!" ... :cool:

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards likes this.
  2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yep. It is Tilman's money. And this is what he thinks of it.:

upload_2023-5-24_11-9-48.gif

We won't be seeing Harden back here. Or any other high priced player. You could put a lump of coal up Tilman's chute and you would get a diamond a few days later.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

He actually has to spend due to league rules. The salary floor specifies that teams have to spend at least 90% of the salary cap. Anything less that that gets divided up among players on the roster.

I'm sure he will continue to be as cheap as he can though.

Easy and houston#1 like this.
  4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

What's been the indication that he's not willing to spend?

No owner in their right minds would spend money on players when you're going through full tear down and rebuild while working to stock pile draft picks (whether to use or trade away).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

People are still butt hurt that he wouldn’t go into the lux tax for Ariza and others during the Harden era. His buying out players like Wall would argue and his new practice facility would argue he is not cheap.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The contract Ariza signed was ludicrous

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wasn’t just Ariza. In the first couple of years after TF bought the team there were several moves made that were with 100% certainty made to lower our salary commitment and weakened the team.

I will never forget TFs comment that went something along the lines of “we were set to pay the tax and somehow magically we ended up below it” lol

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

That's only argument I've seen people make regarding TF being cheap - 1 yr, $15mil for Ariza was terrible. Ariza could have easily gotten $16-20 from TF doing a 2-3 year deal to keep that team together. Ariza since then has been on 6 teams and didnt even play all of this season.

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Maybe TF had the foresight to see the writing on the wall with an aging roster that was clearly on the decline and the lack of cap space or picks to make the team better. Only moves I had a problem with was moving CP for Russ and not bringing back MDA. Or if you didnt want to bring MDA back, bring in a more experienced coach.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh folks need another reminder of such old news. This was posted years ago but selective memory has folks looking the other way still. And most of you claim to follow this team so close but probably don't even recall half of this list even happening and that's being generous.

Remember when the rockets had a deal in place for JaMychal Green and Garrett Temple but Tilman and his LTS took precedent.

remember when Uncle Jeff was sitting out there in free agency but they went after MCW instead. folks around here tried to tell themselves MCW was a great pickup and Uncle Jeff was done who is literally still playing now and in the nba finals

Years later this aged just as I expected. Rockets turned into an absolute dump in record time and still scrambling to find some way to get at least one foot back up.

#3310 YOLO, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    jordnnnn and pippendagimp like this.
  11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Technically MDA declined to comeback, which was the beginning of the end of us though one can argue that the CP3/Russ swap was.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

While I am not going to argue that Tilman's cheap, it's still incredible to me that people seem more upset at Tilman than they ever were at Les. Les was the definition of cheap and was never willing to pay the LT even with all that money from China during the Yao years.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was Les really wealthy among owners with top net worth....

IIRC Les barely cracked 1 billion if at all and he made money off selling the team.

He was one of the poorer ones.

Sittonsideways likes this.
  14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Les got $, but he doesn't have Ballmer $$$.
    He had $ just below or around Jordan IIRC.
    But yeah of NBA owners.... he probably was in the bottom 10

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what I meant, in the world of an NBA owner having 4-10+ billion is probably key to comfortably spend for a very costly hobby team.

The mindset would also be a money pinching one instead of not worrying about spending big.

Or you get together like the Celtics and have a billionaire or millionaire consortium group.

#3315 daywalker02, May 24, 2023
  16. Asian Sensation

As if JaMychal Green and Uncle Jeff were going to help Harden win a Championship Lmaooo. As if Harden was going to win a Championship with anybody. We seriously seriously complaining about not signing Garret freaking Temple? That’s a good one lol.

Harden fanbois love complaining about TF because somehow they think it saves face for all of Harden’s shortcomings/failures. In actuality its just another coping mechanism and tool to deflect blame elsewhere.

Any owner that offers a bum ass loser like Harden a huge extension to become the first $50M a season player before he turned that down (thank god) to go ring chasing only to end up with 3 more 2nd round exits (hahaha) just like his final 2 years here is not cheap.

An owner that offered Victor Oladipo a max contract and paid John Wall $40M a year to sit on the bench with a thumb up his ass all year is cheap cause he didn’t sign Garret Temple and Jamychal Green… lol make it make sense.

17. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Harden player hater of the year.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My sweet innocent child.

BMoney likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I also think Tilly invests heavily into his other businesses and while he is a bball
    fan, he doesn't know much other than what creeps on the surface.

He had liquidity problems in the past meaning he works with banks full hours and we know banks have hit it hard in recent years.

#3319 daywalker02, May 24, 2023
    Htown's Finest likes this.
  20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Perhaps his approach to his NBA team will be different. It is his other businesses where he cheapens up. There is no reason to believe he won't do the same when the time comes to spend on the Rockets. He is a business first man. Nothing wrong with that. But if your suites are sold and your season ticket sales are fine (companies buying? I don't know). What is the incentive to improve the product on the floor if all it will do is lower your profit margin. I don't believe Tillman has made much of anything better after he has bought it.

Maybe he will shut me up when it comes time to decide on spending money to sign/keep a star. Maybe he won't. In the restaurant industry he is a tightwad and every brand he has bought has gone in the toilet (Chart House, Brenners, Salt Grass). The quality of food at each one of those went down the drain after he bought them. Will he approach the Rockets differently? Not holding my breath.

And I am NOT advocating to go spend money on Harden. That ship sailed.

#3320 mkahanek, May 24, 2023