1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Melo is still shaken by his short Houston stint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, May 23, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Anthony’s rock-bottom moment following the Houston situation gave him a Scrooge-like perspective. By experiencing what, to him, felt like a firing from the Rockets, Anthony went through a form of basketball death. “It was this roller coaster of not knowing what comes next,” he says. “Ups and downs. Mentally, spiritually, emotionally. On and off the court.”

So after a 4–6 start to the year, then-Rockets general manager Daryl Morey told Anthony the team was moving in a different direction. Anthony was floored. “Nobody ever really explained it to me,” he says. “To be honest, nobody can explain it to me, because there’s no real reason as to why any of that transpired. And I beat myself up about it. I took the role off the bench. I did everything they said I gotta do. So I kept thinking, It’s gotta be deeper than that. It felt like it was about more than just basketball at that point.”
    Source: Sports Illustrated

DeBeards, ryan_98, icewill36 and 2 others like this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I was shaken by how poorly he played for us

but we also saw it coming from a mile away.

OKC Melo was memorably cooked. Houston Melo was...forgettable

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Someone should have fired Daishen Nix but nobody did.....oh well.

DeBeards, ramotadab, fattz and 10 others like this.
  4. Mattician

Mattician Member

He was pretty much like Ed Reed on the Texans.

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The Rockets never gave him a chance. I think MDA scapegoated him to ruin his career, because he held a grudge since Melo forced him to resign from the Knicks in 2012
    Or maybe Morey held a grudge because Melo chose the Thunder over us the season prior. It was a weird situation.

Arnel, ramotadab, bmelo and 5 others like this.
  6. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Gary Clark was a better option than him at that point. It was obvious that Clark deserved those minutes so the Rockets parted ways with Melo.

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets didn't want to hurt your Immature Feelings.

You are Fat, Slow, Lazy on Defense, Couldn't Shoot 3s, always the midrange.

Carmelo Anthony never was in Top Shape and or Ready to Shoot 3s or play Defense

8. riko

riko Member

It was Dantoni. Those two hated each other after Melo got him fired from the Knicks. They were never going to make it work

9. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Melo:

Rockets fans:

The fans have moved on. The league has moved on. Move on, Melo.

10. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Felt sad when it happened...but the way he defended, the writing was on the wall...

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't he get Bzde(sp?)
    Fired from his only head coaching job
    The guy quit rather than coach Melo
    It was more about getting him and our defense back?

Rocket River

Zen Tabak, Vudu, Aruba77 and 3 others like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bzdelic basically quit at the beginning of the season, then suddenly returned at Thanksgiving.

Zen Tabak, KingSamJack, Vudu and 8 others like this.
  13. icewill36

icewill36 Member

It was obvious when it happened that it was personal. This BBS is still in denial about it.

The curse of melo continues as the rockets lost out on a top 2 pick.

Jontro likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CP3 and Harden were deferring to Melo too often out of respect it was killing the team.

Good riddance.

DD

Arnel and clos4life like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

When I first heard the news Rockets got him, I wasn't a fan at all for the fit. The rest is history.

DeBeards likes this.
  16. riko

riko Member

As rockets river pointed out he also got Jeff fired in Denver like he got Mike fired in New York

payaso likes this.
  17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Remember when we put a huge picture of him holding a championship trophy on the wall in the Toyota center, then wined and dined him at Américas, then he chose the Knicks because Lala wanted to be in NYC for her business? Treated Houston like a fat girl then eventually came to us when he was washed and demanding he play his non-championship style of basketball.

Dude is the biggest diva.

Drift Monkey, DeBeards, Arnel and 7 others like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We had posters that were claiming Team USA Melo would be the role he would play here. Most of us believed this could be the case when we were attempting to trade from him when the Knicks were ready to move on. I remember really really really thinking that would be the ideal role that could work. When he was with OKC, we saw the role that he wanted to continue to play which wasn't USA Melo, but was iso Melo. And I think at that point, many of us realized what a bad idea it would be if he came to the Rockets once he was bought out from Atlanta. I was against signing him after seeing his OKC stint.

Sure, he came off the bench, but you could see that something was just not right. His defense sucked and he was just not shooting the ball well. The Rockets still had championship hopes at that point and we just couldn't be patient for the situation to work itself out. Gary Clark just seemed to be a better option at the time since he could actually play defense.

How is it that Melo can't figure this out yet? I'm pretty sure the Rockets approached this from a very business like approach and it wasn't something personal, it was just business. Granted, yes, him and Dantoni definitely had a history, but yeah, Morey handled that how it should of been handled. Sure Melo had a few good games against us once he was a Blazer and he also shot the ball a bit better once he got picked up, but man, he was still a defensive sieve, and it really proved why it was such a poor fit with the Rockets.

He needs to get over it.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i know there's a lot of Melo hate on this board... but the teams handling of him was a pure sh*t show! I really lost respect for Morey on that one... and MDA showed himself to be a petulant child in his half hearted effort to utilize Melo... the whole think with Bzdelik... it was pure amateur hour - all the way around... smdh...

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Forget defense, he was pretty bad offensively too. The team was like 11-15 with him in the lineup. Carmelo was still playing like he was a superstar, taking (and missing) long twos, not giving much effort on defense or hustle plays, and being a ball stopper. He couldn’t make his 3-point shots. He was playing like a worse (and slower) version of Michael Beasley.

If he were able to transform his game into an effective role player (or at least a decent spot up shooter), the Rockets would have kept him. You know when Ben McLemore is a far superior option, you’re washed.

DeBeards and Rocket River like this.