1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. HealthyHamstring

I know it’s a dumb question, but does anyone know the answer?

Despite 90% of the fanbase being obsessed with the idea of trading up for him (myself included), I haven’t see one indication of where the Rockets interest lies with Scoot

If anyone has any idea, let us know

Bo6, Ren ason, razorback88s and 2 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

If the Rockets are incredibly interested in Scoot, why would they broadcast that and have themselves looking extremely desperate?

if the Rockets had the 2nd or 3rd pick, you’d be hearing a lot more about Scoot, but we don’t, and the chances of him dropping down to 4 are slim to none

Rockets weren’t hoping for a top 2 pick on draft night so they could draft Amen Thompson with it

Xerobull, jim1961, hajkov and 27 others like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree they wouldn't broadcast it, but we actually don't know that last part to be true. Rumor has it that some front offices have Amen #2 on their boards, and the Spurs were one of them. The Rockets may indeed be one of those teams and may have wanted a top 2 pick to ensure they get him, given that we know at least one team in the top of the lottery would've been a threat to pick him #2. Also, weren't news reports that the Rockets would consider trading if it wasn't in the top three? Possible that they have him third on their board and a tier break after that.

Anyway, personally I have Scoot as a tier above Amen, but it doesn't appear to be the case for every team if you take the rumors at face value.

34to11, justinh, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Per Clutch, his feeling from the organization:
    - They don't necessarily agree Scoot is in a tier by himself
    - Has feeling that they rate Amen in Scoot tier (Got this impression even prior to us landing the 4th pick)
    - The Rockets believe Harden is coming.
    - Assuming the three above are true, hard to make a case from the Rockets perspective to spend a bunch of assets to trade up for a player they don't neccessarily value more than the guy that falls to them, especially if Harden is coming for just cap space.

amaru, NewAge, UTSA2step and 8 others like this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Don't want Harden, would love Scoot, but what about this? Austin Reeves is a free agent. He looked really good in the playoffs even though the Lakers lost. Any interest?

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

You have two young guards who should be offensive wings and should be offensive beasts the next 3 years. Need to set them up with good shots and have the PG able to cover some defensively. It might not be right away that Thompson is starting but he fits that profile.

mikenm268, Arnel, TriumVirate and 4 others like this.
  7. HealthyHamstring

Was that from that thing he did with Salaman Ali? I just saw that…disappointing if true on all counts

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Either KPJ or Amen coming off the bench would make us really fast for full games. Pretty much every player we have runs. I’m not sure it’s a bad fit even with the shooting questions.

High energy is a skill.

jim1961, Arnel, Denovo and 9 others like this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Everyone is in love with Reeves but i have come to really like bruce brown on denver. He would work well with sengun as evident with his chemiatry with jokic.

Also fits udokas style of off ball movement and cutting style. Plays good defense and has decent switchability. Veteran but also still fairly young.

10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

depends on ime's system.

jim1961 likes this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

They should learn from last year from the Banchero fiasco to keep their sauces on confidential lockdown, at least until draft night

jim1961, amaru, Invisible Fan and 5 others like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Rockets will draft Scoot easily if he falls to #4 but the smart man would not advertise it like how the Magic fooled everyone into thinking they weren't taking Banchero.

amaru, Arnel and Y2JT like this.
  13. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Draft day trade. Jalen for the #2 pick. Book it!

solid, Arnel and Plowman like this.
  14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Brown is definitely nice as well but Reaves is the better facilitator for sure and that's what we need. Nuggets completely rely on Jokic for that and right now Sengun isn't at that level yet (although, if we really sign Harden, Sengun will never reach that level).

HD729 likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sounds like the most likely outcome is that we're signing Harden & drafting Amen Thompson, so between those guys and Sengun we shouldn't be hurting for facilitators at any time.

Arnel likes this.
  16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Just fyi, Orlando sauced us and the whole media with their smokescreen. Rockets' supposed leaks or lack of didn't do jackshit.

JusBleezy and HealthyHamstring like this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If they'll take it then hell yes!

Plowman likes this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The only thing I’m concerned about Amen is his shooting. He is very explosive and has great instincts on offense and in the passing game. But his game needs more diversity. He can’t shoot threes and he doesn’t have a mid range or post game. I haven’t seen a paint floater as most of the points I’ve seen is him dunking or laying up the ball. Unlike other combos like Fox or Morant who can’t shoot 3s or long 2’s, those guys at least have a nice floater game and can shoot that 15-19 ft pull up. That’s not a part of his game and not something players can develop into. He could improve his 3s though.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would definitely trade JG for Scoot straight up.

But, forget about putting together a bunch of picks to move up...NO WAY.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Don’t understand the hate for JG.