1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think Jabari's ceiling is Jaren Jackson Jr. or higher (probably a 3/4 instead of a 4/5 like JJJ, so, fewer blocks, but maybe more threes and steals).

I looked at the 2018 draft. Other than Doncic and SGA and maybe Jalen Brunson, I would still take JJJ highest (yes, higher than Trae Young). But JJJ's rookie season looked a lot like Jabari's, except that Jabari somehow "forgot" how to shoot. If and when he regains his shot (I blame some of that on Silas), he will just be more confident overall, and much better.

I would NOT count out Jabari at all at this point.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

His ceiling can be Giannis. Just need to find better develpmental staff

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Jabaris rookie season went pretty much as expected - besides his 3pt shooting. Had he shot 38% I‘d say he were right on par. I still believe he can improve his shooting to close to 40%, since he has been a great shooter all his life.

Now I do believe he can benefit greatly from Udoka. Jabari needs a structured offense. He is not the guy that will create a lot of offense by himself. And I do believe he is very coachable. I would like to see a lot of off the ball screens both with him as a screener and with him as the one trying to get open. And on defense we can see his talent, but to be able to play in a real system and knowing what he should do at all times, should help him as well.

I still don‘t think he will turn into a superstar, but he should turn into that super role player a lot of us were expecting.

OremLK and Easy like this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still like him (a lot more than Green) and I hope he can have a long, impactful career in the NBA.

NewAge likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He looks like a PF version of Reggie Miller but not that accurate of a shooter.

Very similar mechaniques after the shot has been released.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just wanted to leave this Reddit thread here. Thought it was interesting

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. invocux

invocux Member

If he ever becomes half as good as Giannis i'll post my nude here and you will not like it trust me. His ceiling is somewhere around Harrison Barnes.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

lol nice one.

I agree he won't ever be as good as Giannis. They don't even have similar strengths and weaknesses, even setting aside the obvious talent differential.

Harrison Barnes as a ceiling comp is underselling Jabari though. At very least, he has a lot more rebounding/defensive potential.

Rashard Lewis is a comp that I hear a lot. That seems closer

leebigez and invocux like this.
  10. invocux

invocux Member

Yeah i don't like this oh x player could be Giannis because Giannis was once slim too ting. If every slim dude could add weight there would be 125152 Giannises. People need to understand that some limitations are there to stay you can not overcome every single obstacles in your way. I read the same bs about Chet no way that kid can add weight and stay healthy. Just look at his ankles. His BMI frighteningly low it was sth like 18 as far as i know. He's barely human.

I don't hate RL comparison but if my memory serves me right, RL was pretty good in the post, could dribble and definitely wasn't as stiff as Jabari. I don't remember vomiting all over the place watching RL. I think he's far more likely to end up being HB than RL. The only thing i genuinely like about Jabari is his middy. I remember at some point through the end of the season i checked his stats and his FG% was below .4 even below Kwame. I think if Jabari can't get this **** together next season by get his **** together i mean not looking like a G-League player when his shots don't go in you gotta give up on him. Then he's officially bad at basketball. People said he was the most ready rookie geniunely **** r/NBA_Draft

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think you're being too hard on him, he was 5th among all players under 23 in rebounds per game, 7th among all under 23 players in blocked shots. Harrison Barnes never in his entire career grabbed as many boards or blocked as many shots, let alone as a rook

Give the kid a chance to prove himself, he was really coming around toward the end of the season

Losmi_34 and Zen Tabak like this.
  12. invocux

invocux Member

Yeah i trust Ime and Jabari's work ethic. I think this applies for Sengun too if they never reach their potential it'll be because we misevaluated their potentials not because they didn't work hard.

Zen Tabak and OremLK like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is did anyone ask for a nude..

Just save it for your Only Fans.

Fullcourt likes this.
  14. invocux

invocux Member

20% discount for CF posters

OremLK and daywalker02 like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

18. i3artow i3aller

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude looks like the human centipede.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis' career high in rebounds in 7 and blocks is 0.9. Jabari has matched or bested those numbers already in his rookie season. Also for half his career, he was not a good defender (probably got good around age 26). If we're getting Rashard Lewis plus all of those other things, that would be incredible. Good comp though.

OremLK likes this.