1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

{}

#181 carl_herrera, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  2. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Amen only doesn’t fit with Harden offensively if you expect Amen to start year 1 and play 30 minutes per game.

That’s not going to happen — we’re not a tanking team anymore, we’re not going to be force feeding our rookies with no veteran support and nobody to learn from like we did with Jalen and Jabari.

Amen fits great offensively if you anticipate him playing year 1 mostly with the second unit as the lead ball handler, with a few Harden / Jalen / Amen minutes mixed in here and there.

Then as Harden fades, Amen’s minutes and playmaking load increases over the next couple years if Amen is looking good.

Of course defensively, a Thompson twin is the perfect fit because we badly need shutdown wing and POA defenders if Harden / Jalen / KPJ are in the rotation.

#182 carl_herrera, May 19, 2023
    Y2JT, larsv8 and Denovo like this.
  3. Vudu

Vudu Member

Why are people talking about drafting players to fit Harden? Did the Rockets not exist at all before that trade or are the people who want that just really young?

gmoney411 likes this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I might prefer Anthony Black over Thompson if we're going to get a big point guard that can't shoot.

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Damn I am really sad, from Wemby to this bullshit

6. i3artow i3aller

7. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

man’s why would we want that either, we need shooters. Watching the heat play Boston with all the undrafted\second round players makes me not give a damn who we pick as long as we find some diamonds in the later rounds or on the street that can shoot consistently. It makes no sense that these top picks can’t shoot but we want to draft on their potential

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I dont like any of the players, suggested in the list for our 4th pick !
    I suggest a different way of thinking !
    We need experience and talent, especially more so than some of our young players.
    Which means trading several of our established names.

We need Harden and Brown
    We need several players from the free agent list :-\ Reaves,Hachimaura and Mobley
    We Need to select one player from the 2023 Draft,
    It should be the player left with the most talent'
    namely Kris Murray, the other pick should be used in one of our trades
    We must trade several of our young players for better talent, namely
    Sengun, Porter, Garuba,Tate and Nix
    We need to keep ................Martin, Christopher and Washington, but not afraid to add into any trade.

Remmeber
    if we are going to get all of these player we might have to include future draft picks Yetti

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Vudu

Vudu Member

I notice you always try to trade Sengun and have some of the weirdest, mid lineups for us to give up our future for. It's also weird that KJ is one of the guys you want to keep when he has issues coming off the bench.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

How's the engine gonna work if he can't shoot?

The opponent plays zone and forces the engine to do something what then?

Doesn't matter if you are the passing savant if you can't shoot you just make it harder not easier for your teammates. So many passing geniuses who can't shoot in the NBA Ricky Rubio, Lonzo Ball, Giddey they all sucked until they were able to shoot 3s.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why not Ausar, Walker or Taylor Hendrix then they are better shutdown defenders than Amen. I don't want to use the 4rth pick to get Harden's backup wtf dude.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I also want to point out that Amen was draft eligible last year age at 19 on draft day.

He dodged the NBA for a season to play high school basketball.

So much for a competitor.

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I would love Scoot but I believe Charlotte will pick Scoot…but I’m worried that Blazers is going to draft Amen…then we would have to pick Anthony Black. He is like Giddey from Oklahoma City but Amen plays like LaMelo without a shot. Amen is year away, he needs to start on the bench, play 20 plus minutes a game and work with new shooting coach Ben Sullivan….he is a shooting Guru….

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I would love Scoot but I believe Charlotte will pick Scoot…but I’m worried that Blazers is going to draft Amen…then we would have to pick Anthony Black. He is like Giddey from Oklahoma City but Amen plays like LaMelo without a shot. Amen is year away, he needs to start on the bench, play 20 plus minutes a game and work with new shooting coach Ben Sullivan….he is a shooting Guru….

16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I also want to point out that Amen was draft eligible last year age at 19 on draft day.

He dodged the NBA for a season to play high school basketball.

So much for a competitor.
    If Blazers are dumb enough to pick a bust, then you pick Miller.

Wemby, Scoot and Miller are clearly the top 2.5 players this draft. Amen's high upside and insanely low downside makes a whole tier below those 3 at minimum.

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He has played against oversea talent this year, older professional basketball player

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

What is 2.5 player?

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I would have to hold my nose if I had to draft Brandon Miller. Only skill Brandon has is his shooting…and his shooting is sometimes shaky. Average handles, average defender and does not love to drive to the basket. The last game we played against San Diego State, he played scared after they got physical with him. He does not have ALL STAR potential or any elite skills. Amen has elite skills such as a 1st step, athleticism, vision, feel for the game, elite passing….he reminds me of LaMelo from Charlotte

20. PeppermintCandy

Thanks for the link.

Outside of some 3s, he didn't attempt one jumpshot. (And yet he shot 5-14...)
    He was aggressive driving into the paint but missed a ton of shots at the rim.

He does have good court vision as advertised, but his passes are often risky. Not sure how well those passes set up his teammates either.

Great size and athleticism though, and pretty active on the defensive end.

He definitely shows potential but he's raw and would be a long term project. Longer than Jabari Smith, even.

Oh and he and Sengun would almost never be able to get on the court together LOL.

#200 PeppermintCandy, May 19, 2023
    blue_eyed_devil likes this.