1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

This is my top 5 as well. I have wemby, scoot, miller, then amen/whitmore interchangeably. a lot depends on the rest of the draft process for amen. could move up to 3, or fall to 5.

#6 to me is Cason Wallace for the rockets. he's such a great fit for jalen. it would be like the Celtics pairing smart with brown.

Aruba77 and Mathloom like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

This.

Rox fans dont have any patience so its kinda ridiculous seeing all this posts thirsting for Amen now. Bet a lot of these posters gonna be screaming bust later on once we do get him.

If the board is already having a meltdown with Green's 34% and Bari's 30% wait till you see Amen's "28% in OTE" lol.

Corpusfan likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I like him at #3, but he is certainly a very high ceiling, questionable floor type of prospect. I think only the first two spots are set.

Regardless of who we pick we will need to consolidate our roster.

BallSoHarden and xaos like this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Negatives Updated: He Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
    Negatives Updated: Plays lowest competition level!

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I’ll take a video of me playing 10 year olds on my dead end street and send it to the OP and everyone on this site will want me at #3 as well. Honestly don’t think this guy is a round 1 pick. 2nd rounder at best.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Do you only post here when drunk or something? :p

Amen is nearly guaranteed to go in the top 5 of this class. Rumor mill has it the Spurs might even consider taking him #2 over Scoot Henderson, though personally I think that's a bit crazy. They're really confident in their ability to develop his jump shot, I suppose.

BMoney and i3artow i3aller like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He is risky. Have you seen any of his highlights? Athletically he moves differently than almost any player I have seen at his age. There is a particular play that here he steals the ball on the baseline around the free throw line and the movements he makes as he gets to the rim is simply the .001% of athletes. More so than Jalen Green/Ja Morant with longer wins span. He can pass. He can’t shoot though obviously.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Amen is just such a crazy prospect. Never seen an athlete like this since I started paying attention to the draft. I've seen guys with this kind of first step, and I've seen guys with this kind of leaping ability, and of course there have been loads of 6'7" players, but I've never seen any prospect who had all of those things combined. Between questions about OTE and his jump shot it's a complicated picture to analyze, but you rarely see a draft prospect where you can go "okay, if everything breaks right I can see how this dude could become the best player of his generation", and this class has two of them with Wemby and Amen. It's probably like a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 chance Wemby gets there and only a 1 in 20 chance or something that Amen does, but damn, the upside is tantalizing.

Y2JT likes this.
  9. invocux

invocux Member

His ft% looks disgustingly low for a pg. Usually a bad ft shooter doesn't develop into a good 3pt shooter. Scoot's 3pt% is low too but his ft% is much higher so he can be good. Some ppl like him over Scoot but i don't. We are already a bad shooting team.

Corpusfan likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

He's like if you took Jalen Green, grew him 3", gave him insane passing and vision but totally took away his ability to shoot.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Amen might be a scrub. He might also be good.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Amen did make big changes to his mechanics toward the end of the season and shot 77% on free throws in their playoffs. It's possible he's already figuring it out, but we'll have to wait and see.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Amen and Ausar both measured at the same height without shoes at the Combine, 6'5.75" with a 7'0" wingspan. So by the standard NBA practice of "add an inch to the list height for shoes then round up", their list heights should be 6'7"... and they have some crazy long arms.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I believe Thompson will be transcendent. A good defender who will end up elite at everything other than shooting. When you are that fast you are always playing downhill. Bigger, faster, better handle than Green with the ability to make great reads. Elated with him at 2,3 or 4.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

If Jalen, Sengun, and Jabari all end up being good 3P shooters, which I think they will over the next few years, I believe Amen would fit great with that group. KPJ too, if KPJ sticks around as a 6th man or starting small forward or whatever.

The PnR game would be insane.

joshuaao, i3artow i3aller and Aruba77 like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I am comfortable taking Amen #3

17. i3artow i3aller

#117 i3artow i3aller, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
    OremLK, BaselineFade and Astrodome like this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

These people ever heard of a ****ing spreadsheet.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Jarace 7'2.5" wingspan. Nice.

Thompson twins pushing 6'-6"

20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Twins wingspan confirmed 7ft. Interesting.