1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Harden would never sleep in Miami :eek:

BamBam likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

yup, sure will…just like he ruined Maxey

Patience likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Yes, short term high. We're not going to agree here (respectfully) because I personally do not believe Harden will teach the young kids how to build a winning foundation, even though I do believe by adding him it does result in us winning 5-10 more games next season when compared to most immediate alternatives, with his impact declining each year with some of the alternatives having an increase in winning overtime. I also keep seeing the idea that people who don't want Harden think it's championship or bust. No, it's not championship or bust. It's building a championship core and building the foundations of a multi-year contender or bust. Next season is just a stepping stone and it needs to be cumulative, not temporary or fake. If you believe the value Harden brings to the team is cumulative (which you do and I'm not going to **** on that... ) then of course you'd want him. I understand that, I just don't agree... again... respectfully

I saw your list of how he helps the young kids and agree with some of the points (ex how to play the pick and roll, he's one of the greatest at it), but also think that some of your points are negatives (where to stand, how to draw fouls the regular season Harden way, etc), not positives. I firmly do not believe he'll change his style for this squad and "where to stand" means stand in a basic high school 5-out offense and don't move unless if youre setting a screen for me to created mismatches (for him to iso). He only changes his time of possessions for all-NBA talent with a pedigree, while still keeping his same style. I have stated many times that if he is willing to make the pass that leads the the pass (omg but that doesnt get him his assist), move without the ball, play with a sense of urgency when the game gets intense, use switches to his teammates advantages and not just his (ex: Smith set the screen and has a pg on him while Harden has a big so Harden isos the big every time), understand that he is not the future of this franchise I would absolutely be happy with him... I just laugh at the idea that Harden will change (just like most ex girlfriends who take back their exs hoping they'd change).

I don't really want Brook Lopez but do I really need to explain how Brook Lopez won't get in the way of Jalen Green/Smith/Sengun developing the skills that might be the difference between role play to all-star? These guys need real-time NBA reps where they are creating, not standing around waiting for an open 3. They need to continue learning through these mistakes, while having multiple guys in their ear (coach, vet players, PG) guiding them through the process. Real leaders who can navigate the process, teach them how to be professional, not dominate the possessions and just say "watch me and learn". Guys like Conley, heck even Beverly/Lowry/Caruso/tyus/etc. Just like riding a bike, or driving a car, or really any skill... sure there's a level of watching, but you learn how to ride a bike by watching a little bit of the time but, then mostly riding, falling, getting back up, and getting better. I don't think we'll find the long term solution to our PG (except for landing Scoot H) position this offseason without a trade, but I also don't believe Harden accomplishes what people think he will so I'd rather not have a guy taking up long term max space (which he will) if he's not going to help us achieve long term success. If we had a bunch of guys on our team destined to be just role players I'd be more excited at a Harden comeback.

If it means anything as well, I really enjoyed having Harden here and have wanted him to win a ring so I'm not anti-Harden, just anti-Harden for this team.

Htown's Finest and subtomic like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Because other than a few Clutchfans posters, there's no one in the world who believes Harden is a culture resetter or a role model for young players. The idea that you bring him somewhere to shape young players thinking you can keep the bad stuff out is imaginary. Every analyst would laugh at this notion.

dmoneybangbang and cheke64 like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know why I'm even debating this with people. Harden is saying things like "Obviously I want a chance to compete" and "this is just our first year vs a team that's been together many years". Does that sound like someone who wants to leave Sixers for a team that just won 20 games? Like a player who forgot that doing things alone doesn't work?

In some ways because I love the player, I hope that what he's feeling is to return to the Sixers and try again to win a title with a better coach and roster improvements. They are close enough. That's what a culture resetter and mentor and winner would do.

It's kind of like the Harden I would want is the Harden we can't get.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

bro you have seen Harden fail over and over again. play the weirdest games over and over again. why would you want to go through that again? I dont care how terrible the Rockets are. If the Harden is here and the expectation is play-in he will embarrass us just like when the expectation was championship.

8. H. Christopher

Ideally you just want this guy to bring the best out of our young players. I wouldn’t bring him back but I understand if they do.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a really silly take.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

If we can get Harden on a short-term deal (no more than 3 yrs) at a hometown discount (low $30’s), what’s the better alternative? I’m leery of bringing back Harden but don’t see a better alternative.

Getting the #2 pick tomorrow is a low probability. I don’t see the free agent alternative unless you think similar money at 4 yrs for FVV is better. Trades aren’t really in our control, but even natural trade partners like Brooklyn don’t have the point guards we need to unlock guys like Jalen and Jabari.

so we’ll see what happens tomorrow, but I’d like to hear a better alternative to Harden if there is one.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

harden has said stuff like this many times only to bail on multiple franchises. it's lip service. Harden says thing people want to hear so they get off his back and then does something completely different

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

a team that has like 60 wins in 3 years and you're talking about embarrassment. ironic.

strange how someone who has his teams in the playoffs every year and that's now one of the next hurdles to overcome is now being spun into some negative.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s where we differ

the expectation is not championship, it’s to improve to where we’re a play-in team and hopeful consistent playoff team in the next couple years

Harden would just be a cog here, not the be all and end all like he was his 1st time here

I value the young players getting play-in and especially playoff experience, even if it comes with a Harden “choke”

lemme see how Green, Jabari, Sengun, and the rest of em do in a meaningful game

YOLO likes this.
  14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

A major driver of the disastrous Paul-for-Westbrook trade, according to reports at the time or shortly thereafter, was that Fertitta couldn't abide the massive bucks we had committed to CP in his declining years.

I'd like to think that Fertitta now feels pretty much the same way about shelling out for Harden in his declining years, and that for the same reasons, he'll pass.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

can you think of time when harden didn't embarrass himself on the national stage when it mattered most? i know you're about to pull out a list of excuses. those excuses get longer every year. aren't you tired of defending this dude and looking dumb? let it go.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

It really comes down to who we draft and whether Harden will take a 2-3 year contract at 35M or less. There is no better FA scenario. If he insists on max then or we draft Scoot, then the Rockets should look elsewhere. Maybe a 1 or 2 year vet rental like Conley.

jcmoon and Aruba77 like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

harold bingo likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why does any of that even matter? Rockets had championship or bust expectations when Harden used to be here. Sixers were also championship or bust or at the very least ECF or bust this year. The Rockets are in a completely different lane. The only choke now would be if we acquired Harden, and we’re STILL ass and can’t even make the play-in.

it’s like crying about Harden choking or disappointing against OKC in the 2013 playoffs…season was already a success because the Rockets managed to make the playoffs

you’d swear we’re some perpetual 2nd round exit signing Harden to take us over the top

jcmoon, YOLO and Patience like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We improved because Ime is the coach that is how awful Silas was.

Harden is not going to be a cog. We were crying for him to be a cog when he didn't have the ball for years! his skill set doesn't allow him to be a cog. He drags down the offense because he needs to get in a rhythm to do what he does as a player. when you ask him to change his play he pouts. Harden is not an off ball player, he needs the ball. We have seen it at multiple franchises now!

Harden is not going to change.

Bari, sengun, Jalen will be in a meaningful games soon enough and I dont want Harden messing it up calling for the ball. I would rather see the children fail then see harden fail again with even the tiniest of expectations.

BamBam, subtomic and Os Trigonum like this.