1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have grown tired of THE COMPLAINING.

We have these players who haven't played at all:
    Jose Altuve, last seen hitting at 160 OPS+
    Michael Brantley, last seen hitting at 370 OBP
    Lance McCullers, Jr, pitching to a 173 ERA+

These players now on IR:

McCormick, with his 123 OPS+
    Urquidy
    Garcia

And these players underperforming so far:
    Bregman 85
    Abreu 47
    Pena 99
    Diaz 52
    Hensley 26
    Julks 73
    Meyers 89

And we're still above 500.

Why are you complaining? Baseball is a Marathon leading to a sprint. And we're just in the first phase of the Marathon.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You seriously think that Brantley and LMJ won't break again?

everyday eddie and jim1961 like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We need them in the playoffs. I really don't care about before the All Star break.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Most people were on board with the Abreu signing but Bagwell opened himself up to criticism with his comments after the Abreu signing. It's going to rub people the wrong way when you talk about what the Astros have been doing wrong over the years after the success they've had. The Astros were the most analytically advanced team which lead to 6 ALCS appearances and 2 World Series championships. The Astros also seemed to make Bagwell the face of the Abreu signing which will lead to more criticism.

5. lnchan

https://houston.sportsmap.com/houston-astros-gm-bagwell-crane
    One of the surprising elements to come out of Astros Fan Fest over the weekend was Jeff Bagwell's role speaking with the media about the state of the team. The Astros have three assistant general managers that were asked to speak, all declined, leaving Bagwell to answer all the questions.

Plus, when Jose Abreu spoke at Fan Fest about signing with the club, he thanked Jim Crane, and wait for it, Jeff Bagwell.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The jury is still out on Abreu. It's too early to really have a verdict. His lack of power is concerning but he can turn it on at anytime. I think Bregman is more concerning . He's had a good half season over the last 3 seasons overall after his couple of MVP type seasons and extension. He's been pretty inconsistent.

CrazyJoeDavola and ryan_98 like this.
  7. HeyBudLetsParty

Marshall this is why you’re such a lovable boomer. Sure some of your takes are wildly out dated and not politically correct, but these young guns on the forum are quick to forget it’s not about how you start. Just ask last years May champions New York Yankees.

8. lnchan

Considering he started his career 2 for 38... he will get things right. I attribute his struggles last year to trying to bulk up too much, which threw off his timing and needing time to adjust (as for Yuli's early struggles, same but the opposite to be in better shape)

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Over the course of a career, Abreu has been more consistent. Unless father time has really impacted him overnight, I expect Abreu will get it together. Abreu has never even had an average season.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  10. lnchan

I fear it could be a Beltran-esque drop off when he came back in 2017.

.295/.337/.513 with the bullpen phones / CF light system in NYY and Texas in 2016
    .231/.283/.383 with the trash cans in Houston in 2017

Signed him for $16 mil/1 yr to essentially be his retirement home. No body on that free agent class was worth it:
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/year/2016

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There is no doubt that Beltran was not good in 2017

But there is value in being a veteran mentor on a talented young inexperienced team that hopes to win.

I would also say that Reddick earned his FA contract, especially in 2017.

HatsForBats likes this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Are these guys underperforming? Pena & Meyers are almost identical to their career stat lines. Diaz, Hensley, & Julks are rookies who may just suck.

Our offense should end up fine if we get healthy, but it will be a major drag if Abreu doesn't start hitting soon.

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dont you dare disrespect Astros legends Matt Albers and Kris Karter like that....

Bartolo Colon had a pretty good year in 2016 and I think Ian Desmond was pretty ****ing annoying for those cheating 2016 rangers when we played them.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Beltran was 40 when the Astros signed him, and he had struggled in the past as well.

It is always possible that Abreu has lost some to father time - and every time an older player has a poor season we blame age, but this happens to younger players too- sometimes a player just loses it............ but more often than not, after a rough part of the season, or even a season, a player bounces back.

Abreu's issue is very black and white, he isn't hitting anything in the heart of the plate or inside, and when he makes contact he isn't getting any extension. He is hitting the ball well on the outer part of the plate and away...... and he is pulling the ball down the third baseline.

That can be diminished bat speed, but it is far more likely a mechanical and balance issue.

At some point it doesn't matter what it is, either it is fixed or someone else plays - but I don't think we are there yet.

IBTL, J_Hunter_1977 and Marteen like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member

Just needs to shave that ******* silly ass beard off and I bet he'd balance better.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member

18. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

That Charlie Morton guy turned out OK.

19. lnchan

I rather have Collin McHugh

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thru April

Abreu: 28g 7r 11rbi 4dbl 0hr .235avg .536 ops
    Gurriel 14g 6r 5rbi 1dbl 2hr .306avg .808ops
    Mancini 24g 11r 14rbi 1dbl 3hr .261avg .680ops

Now
    Abreu: 36g 9r 14rbi. 6dbl 0hr. .228avg. .525ops
    Gurriel: 22g 8r 7rbi. 3dbl 3hr. .256avg. .698ops
    Mancini 33g 15r 16rbi 4dbl 3hr. .261avg. .697ops

Fielding bible:
    Abreu 20th
    Gurriel 29th
    Mancini 30th.

* sorry I can't figure out how to format it so it's more orderly and easier to read.

#100 IdStrosfan, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    everyday eddie and marks0223 like this.