1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate the beard and I’ve never been a fan of religious neck tattoos either.

astros123 and IBTL like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Same here. To me though, all is forgiven if he helps us win another WS and/or go deep in the playoffs. But the beard is stupid, the neck tattoos are stupid. I hate neck/face tattoos. The whole not buttoned up uniform. All of these things about Abreu annoy me greatly until we win w/ him.

kubli9 likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neck tattoos are a bold statement, but if you are going to do it, you should go full renegade/thug style tattoo. This half-assed "I love Jesus but I'm still hard" attitude isn't going to work for me. :D

Nook and IBTL like this.
  4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

That depends entirely on who the GM is. There are plenty of them out there that are willing to overspend on a high risk free agent. Our current GM was hired for his drafting talent and has said himself that his experience in free agency is limited. Click was too insecure to put great people around him so it was not so much a lack of a GM as it was a lack of a good GMs support group. It is too early to know how Brown will do at building his own staff. Saying openly that he has weaknesses makes me hopeful that he will seek out knowledgeable people instead of being afraid he may not be the smartest person in the room.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Button up your damn shirt!

IBTL likes this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Reminds me of Bull Durham. When Crash gives Nuke the line about the cruddy flip flops.

7. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

...but humans become older, slower, greedy, & outwitted...
    computers on the other hand...
    well.... there's a reason why algorithmic trading exists...
    there's a reason why spredsheets/data have made everyone on this message board's life easier since implementing & understanding...
    there's a reason why data/statistics show what "regression to the mean" is (along with outliers)....

Fvck that guy... Used to be a fan of his... now he's an apologist and talking piece. Fix your recruit.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2nd worst player in baseball so far. Ouch.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s impressive suckitude from Matt Bush. -0.7 in 7.2ip.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I need to start a Jose Abreu FAN CLUB to counteract the negativity. If he's hitting less than 350 OBP at the end of August, then I panic. I honestly could not care less whether he's got power.

11. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

.350 on base with no power shouldnt cost anywhere near 19.5 mil a season

ryan_98 and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

How many of the people railing on Bagwell right now for the Abreu signing loved the signing when it happened? Pretty sure like 95% of this board thought it was a great signing.

Nook, Astrofan59, marks0223 and 4 others like this.
  14. Underrated23

Underrated23 Member

He’s basically trolling Crane for handing him that absurd contract meanwhile we go to arbitration for Tucker’s contract.

15. Underrated23

Underrated23 Member

He’s basically trolling Crane for handing him that absurd contract meanwhile we go to arbitration for Tucker’s contract.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

And I mean NO power whatsoever. He's like the winter storm of 2021.

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I liked A.Rizzo (a former champion) better, or A.Judge which would solve CF issue.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

--->
    not me... I'm the 5%er... red flags all around, & spring training proved his unwillingness & disdain...
    MF said was having troubles w the colors of the uniforms (or something along the line-- dont blast me for not getting the quote right).
    Its a bad signing up & down... shouldnt have broken up the band... Yuli could've been a piece for the youngsters to move up & learn from / step into that role...
    Maybe Altuve's wisdom will change Abracadabra's sleight of hand approach... doubtful though.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Abreu is getting paid more than Masataka Yoshida who is a hitting machine and looking like one of the best signings of the off-season.

20. Major

Major Member

Sure - but I don't think either were really available. Rizzo just wanted to be a Yankee; Judge was out of the Astros' price range.

At the end of the day, most people were happy with getting Abreu. Some were concerned about the 3 year deal, but not many were concerned with year 1 of the deal. So for so many railing on Bagwell as an idiot now that liked the deal before seems like they are also calling themselves idiots (And just to clarify, I'm talking generically, and not specifically to you or anyone else)

Nook likes this.