1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest choke/upset in sports history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 1, 2023.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Goes to the Boston Bruins, holy S- hit!! Nothing is going to top that in this century.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Heavy Rockets talk in minute 41.

Oilers-Bills does get mentioned, but not nearly given the billing it is due as an all-time choke job (mentioned only in minute 12 under the "oddity" bracket).

#2 DonnyMost, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hockey doesn't count.

pmac, Rashmon, rhino17 and 5 others like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

The 73-win Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead against Cleveland was a bigger choke job. Finals > first round.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

2004 - Red Sox down 0-3 to the hated Yankees in the ALCS, win 4 straight to go to the World Series.

adoo likes this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

least they made the finals. Bruins got bounced out of the first round with the winningest record in nhl history.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

That one has got to hurt.

Defending champ Aves going out in first round too.

I was pulling for an Avalanche v Bruins finals.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I can see it on both sides. Feels like the stakes in the Finals are higher whereas the Bruins will be an interesting footnote in history.

VanityHalfBlack and DonnyMost like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The winning-est team in NBA history blowing a 3-1 lead in the Finals to a 57 win Cavs team that probably would've struggled to be a top 4 seed in the West that year is absolutely the #1 all-time greatest series choke.

mtbrays likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Member

I completely disagree. The team with the best record in the regular season generally does not win the Stanley Cup...they have a long history of super disappointing playoff appearances. The team that the Bruins took the "best record ever" from was the 95/96 Red Wings who lost in the playoffs before getting to the Stanley Cup Finals. Teams in the NHL do this all the time. It's a running joke that the team that wins the regular season never wins the Cup. I knew full well going into the playoffs that the Bruins were likelier to get beat early than they were to win the whole thing, given the history of the NHL playoffs over the last 25 years or so.

Baseball and hockey are sports where the lesser team wins in the playoffs more frequently than in any other sport. The best regular season of all time in MLB was the 2001 Seattle Mariners who won freaking 116 games but have still never won a pennant to advance to a WS.

Biggest upset to me is still Buster Douglas over Tyson. That was incredibly shocking to watch happen live. Felt like the world was a different place after seeing Tyson on the mat. Vegas stopped taking bets before the fight.

#10 MadMax, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
  11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I know this has been primarily a pro sports discussion...but to me, a 16 seed over a 1 seed in the men's NCAA basketball tournament is something that should never happen. Never. Ever. Never.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Eh, it's one game and they're still immature kids. It could be a weak, overachieving #1 team with an injury vs a #16 team that had injuries and got it's players back in time for the tourney. I know it would be stupid long (which advertisers would love) but I wish March Madness had best of 5 or 3 game playoffs for each round. This would really give us a good sample of the best team.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

one of the most unlikely upsets in NCAA tournament history,

Phi Slama Jama (with Hakeem/Drexler) lost a close game against the lowly-ranked North Carolina State Wolfpack 54–52, with the final margin decided on the last second;
    Whittenberg's desperation 30-footer was short by more than a foot, but Wolfpack forward Lorenzo Charles caught the missed shot below the rim and then dunk it just before the buzzer sounded.

[​IMG]
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...houston-nc-state-1983-ncaa-final-17867526.php

rocketsjudoka and Xerobull like this.
  14. withmustard

withmustard Member

Biggest upset is Buster Douglas over Prime Tyson.

15. VanityHalfBlack

you didn’t think they were going to lose to the freaking Florida Panthers though right?

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

No, I didn't think they would...but I hold out the possibility of that happening in hockey more than any other sport in the playoffs. Like as they were finishing up the year setting the record I was thinking that it won't mean a thing in the playoffs. This year alone, both 1 seeds were eliminated in the first round. Same thing happened in 2019, too.

Tampa tied the NHL record for most regular season wins in 2019...they didn't win one game in the playoffs!! They were swept by the freaking Blue Jackets!

marks0223 likes this.
  17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I think chokes and upsets can sometimes be 2 totally different things.

Oiler/Bills was the biggest choke job....but it wasn't really an upset. I know Kelly and Thomas were both injured, but no one was expecting the Oilers to go in and win that game.

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

Just looked it up, because I wondered what the line was in that game. It was Bills -3...which given that they were at home pretty much means it's a pick 'em on a neutral field. Ironically, despite all the chaos of that game...Buffalo won...by 3 lol

https://www.sportsoddshistory.com/nfl-playoffs/

ima_drummer2k and marks0223 like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

From my personal perspective, the worst was when Bayern conceded two goals to Manchester United in the Champions League Final in the last few minutes.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Interesting. I'm not a gambling addict or anything, but I think 3 points is pretty close to a pick 'em. So this was definitely a choke job but not necessarily an upset.

UH/NCState was both I think. Coogs were definitely supposed to win that game. Everyone was saying the Louisville game was the real NC. And it was also a choke because of all those missed free throws and the inability of Guy V to make adjustments to the slow pace.

MadMax likes this.