1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/3-69] Tank Dell, WR, Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Tank Dell?

This poll will close on Apr 27, 2024 at 8:42 PM.
  1. YES

93.8%
  2. NO

6.2%
  1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Holiday was a track guy playing football

Bobbythegreat, whag00 and Fulgore like this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't think he was asking sincerely.

Trindon was a pure special teamer, even in college.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Posted earlier that they were 3rd in the NFC in pass completions 25+ yards. And that’s with their 2nd and 3rd QBs playing almost the entire season.

But you and I have a much different recollection of the Kubiak days. Obviously having AJ was big but Shaub was taking deep shots pretty regularly.

DonkeyMagic and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

right, rarely. It’s why it worked. It’s a west coast offense, by definition it is not a vertical offense. That doesn’t mean never vertical, but a player limited to vertical routes is sort of useless here.

DonnyMost likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably, but I thought it was worth a real answer since those who never watched Tank play might see the two and think they are similar.

Nook likes this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tank and Stroud are going to be a good combo... Feels like a pretty good safety blanket out of the slot and in the red zone when you are in heavy run formations.

Tank was destroying good athletes in the slot 1-1... it was pretty eye opening.

You have to look at competition for his stats, but even against better comp, he produced similarly.

He probably would be a late 1st round guy if his 40 was a bit quicker though.

Such a hard prospect to grade because guys like Ramsey/Gardner are going to press him to oblivion.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

we have no deep ball threat on the roster. Hyatt reminds me of Will Fuller with less hands. Dell will cut his teeth as a return man not sure how much he will help CJ.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The quickness of Dell not only makes him a guy who can pick up easy first downs as a slot guy, but someone who can get open in a heartbeat in order to salvage broken plays....in what world would that not be something that can help CJ?

Are you actually arguing that the Texans have too many good WR's and not enough track stars that only have straight line speed? That's weird.

Nook and Qan like this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CJ whole thing is his insane accuracy and ball placement that allows for YAC. That plays perfectly into a guy like Tank.

If he can catch and survive in the nfl. Only issue with him as a slot guy is he doesn’t have elite hands

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If Tank is draw CB1 match ups that means his career is going well beyond all expectations.

Zen Tabak, Qan and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member

Let us praise the Lord.

houstonstime likes this.
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno, the modified WCO is filled with hi-lo concepts to get the ball down the field. Here's an interesting write up from the 9er offense. Lots of routes that require receivers to carry defenders down the field

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I do not remember Kubiak that much, but many top receiving teams get many YAC yards to get there. A little out route turns into 30 or 40 yards. So I have to make a distinction between total yards and yards in the air if I were to study the film. But don't get me wrong. There is an art to getting the ball to a receiver in stride so he can make moves with the ball.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

He’s 5’8. I can’t think of any great wrs that were that small. Maybe Wes welker, Steve smith but they were 5’9, 190 lbs.

17. showa13

showa13 Member

This can't be emphasized enough. Tank is the perfect type of WR for Stroud.

Qan and Fulgore like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Metchie is good to go he’s the slot guy. Neither Collins or Woods are depth threats. Dell is not an outside guy. He will be the return guy and spot gap WR. Jalin Hyatt is a speed demon and would have added a different dimension to this offense and a guy who could maximize CJs arm strength. Dell is a feel good hometown story I get it.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hyatt is a ONE TRICK PONY. He can stretch the D, but has trouble beating press coverage. Tank gets open and works in space.

conquistador#11 and travfrancis like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Metchie is your feel good story, guy trying to come back from Leukemia... but he was nowhere near the receiver Dell was in college and he's yet to log a single snap in the NFL.

Dell is your slot receiver and return guy, if you feel like you really need a track star you can pick one up fairly easily guys that can run in a straight line aren't that difficult to find.... they just aren't that useful.