1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I identify as Latino

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 28, 2023.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Here's the thing...I don't care if you choose to identify as that...or as Irish American even if you want to..or anything else. Don't care at all. Just treat people well and try to understand that everyone has **** they're dealing with, and for some people life is much harder than it is for you (or me).

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

And that is the point:

I support everyone's freedom to live their life they want to.

If someone subjectively identifies as whatever, they should be free to do that without repercussions or mocking or mobbing, and should be treated well and with respect.

Just don't expect the rest of the world to bend over backwards to cater to your subjective perception if it doesn't match objective reality.

If I want to only eat Tacos every day and listen to Latin music and only date Latin chicks and only ever speak Spanish and wear a sombrero every day, I should be free to do that.

But I cannot get mad at people who look at me and still assume I'm not Latin. And I cannot force everyone around me to address me as something I objectively am not.

And leave my kids alone with your dysphoria or activism.

P.S.: And just because I "identify as" Latino, I should still not be able to receive scholarships reserved for actual Latinos, and I should not be able to enter a competition reserved for Mexicans, just because I think I'm Mexican.

#22 AroundTheWorld, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Calling someone by their preferred pronouns isn't really 'bending over backwards'. It's just a common courtesy.

I agree kids shouldn't be subjected to inappropriate sexually explicit material regardless of type.

However, young people who feel they aren't their natural gender, or aren't allowed to express their feelings on it, because of bullying, being ostracized, and mocked is a far more serious issue. Programs that help teach others to be accepting and tolerant while also demonstrating that young people that feel that way aren't alone even though is seems like they are a lot of the time, is a good thing.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We agree that these people should not be bullied, ostracized and mocked.

However:

"Programs" that try to tell people how to act and think are problematic (they are very popular in Communist societies, such as China). More often than not, even if well-intended, they achieve the opposite effect.

tinman and cml750 like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yet you were saying that many of 10 commandments lessons were good things for school.

Teaching children to socialize and work together is already a huge part of education and perhaps the majority of what Pre-K and K classes are about.

Teaching socially acceptable behavior (theoretically) creates a more ordered and cohesive classroom which enables essential learning to take place.

6. astros123

astros123 Member

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I didn't say they were "good things for school". I said that the values in several of them would be good things to teach children. I also said that government should not endorse one religion over another (or none). Be precise.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Correct. I wasn't accusing you of endorsing a religion. The point was just that you endorsed teaching values to children.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I am in favour of encouraging children to accept people as they are, and to not mock people for being different. I believe/hope we are in agreement about this.

The only thing I am skeptical of are "programs" because it kind of sounds like Chinese re-education camps to me.

Encouraging people to accept others as they are and discouraging bullying, discrimation, etc. is a good thing. But forcing it through "programs"...I guess the difference is not just semantic.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

these kids here need to be taught values

11. tinman

Supporting Member

The only thing you should discriminate on is grades, so like in California, the smart kids don't get bored with the base education . Let them have honors classes again like we did in the 90s

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

cheke64 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

We would be, I understand you may not like the wordage "programs". Yet, that's how they are marketed to school districts. I don't care whether it is called a program or curriculum or any other name.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Latinos shouldn't have white transgender fat vegan jeremy lin jersey wearing art hating honors class eliminating gringos
    make up stupid words like 'LATINX' cause they failed Spanish cause they think education is woke
    @Salvy

Salvy likes this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Woke gringos don't drunk Bud Light, they suck Bud Light.....

tinman likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that Latino is less a race definition and more a cultural and ethnic definition. So if you learned Spanish and moved to a Latin American country or even PR you could be counted as Latino under census definitions

Ubiquitin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

vatos locos forever
    [​IMG]

18. Buck Turgidson

Google the definitions of, and differences b/t "Hispanic" and "Latino"

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“The U.S. government Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has defined Hispanic or Latinopeople as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_(demonym)
    “Hispanic” is differentiated that it includes people from Spain and excludes Brazilians.

Under the definition above certainly someone from Germany could become Latino by learning Spanish and living in PR.

They could also become “LatinX” simply by claiming so since there is no official designation.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In general, "Latino" is understood as shorthand for the Spanish word latinoamericano (or the Portuguese latino-americano) and refers to (almost) anyone born in or with ancestors from Latin America and living in the U.S., including Brazilians. "Latino" does not include speakers of Romance languagesfrom Europe, such as Italians or Spaniards, and some people have (tenuously) argued that it excludes Spanish speakers from the Caribbean. Although people from French Guiana are sometimes accepted as Latino since French shares linguistic roots with Spanish and Portuguese, there is much debate about whether people from English-speaking Belize and Guyana and Dutch-speaking Suriname truly fit under the category since their cultures and histories are so distinct.

"Hispanic" is generally accepted as a narrower term that includes people only from Spanish-speaking Latin America, including those countries/territories of the Caribbean or from Spain itself. With this understanding, a Brazilian could be Latino and non-Hispanic, a Spaniard could be Hispanic and non-Latino, and a Colombian could use both terms. However, this is also an imperfect categorization, as there are many indigenous peoples from Spanish-speaking countries who do not identify with Spanish culture and do not speak the dominant language.

https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-hispanic-and-latino