1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

We had a Wemby tank thread, a Scoot tank thread, and even a Brandon Miller tank thread (bleh). Let's talk about my guy if we land #3, Amen Thompson.

https://www.theringer.com/nba-draft...-thompson-twins-2023-nba-draft-overtime-elite

Positives:
    • World-beating athleticism, instantly one of the most explosive athletes in the NBA with incredible first-and-last steps, body control, leaping ability, lateral agility.
    • Fantastic size for a point guard at 6'7", can likely switch 1-4 at the NBA level.
    • Great playmaker and passer, can make the highlight reel plays and make those cross-court skip passes KPJ can never seem to hit. I see him as a true point guard in the NBA.
    • Good feel for the game, good court vision and basketball IQ.
    • Excellent finisher around the rim, not just a dunker--creative finishing ability and a good touch. 66.2% on 2 pointers this season.
    • Elite defensive potential with a 6'11" wingspan and crazy-high lateral agility.
    • Reportedly good intangibles with a great work ethic and a high motor (no Ben Simmons-type worries here)
    Negatives:
    • Broken jump shot. Mechanics have improved and his free throw shooting is coming around, so there's hope he can develop into a good shooter, but the numbers are bad and there's more work to be done on his shooting form.
    • Only played against questionable OTE competition. Nowhere near the level Scoot Henderson played against in the G-League, and not as good as Division I college ball either.
    • Makes some defensive lapses and gambles too much for steals in an effort to get out into the open court where he thrives.
    Personally, I think his floor has been somewhat underrated. Guys with his elite athleticism, work ethic, and feel for the game are going to play in the NBA. With his fantastic positional size and ability to get into the lane even when defenders sag off of him, I don't think he even needs a jump shot to be a positive contributor on offense. Throw in the playmaking ability and I think he'd be our point guard of the future even if the shot never comes around. Guys like Westbrook, Rose, Wall, and yes, even Ben Simmons (luckily Amen doesn't seem to have Simmons' character issues), were able to be good starting-caliber players early in their careers even without a jump shot, and I think the same will be true for Amen.

Worries about OTE's level of competition are valid, but I think a bit overblown. We've seen guys come into the league straight out of high school in the past, before the current draft rules, and yes it generally took them longer to get going, but it was no obstacle to picking them high in the draft.

If Amen does learn to shoot and tightens up his defense he could be an MVP candidate type of player. The ceiling is sky high here with his physical tools.

If I'm picking in the top 3, I don't want a roleplayer, I want a future star, and behind Wemby and Scoot, Amen is the guy most likely to reach that All-NBA type of ceiling. He has a long way to go to get there and don't be surprised if he starts out a bit like Shaedon Sharpe as a rookie, but I'm bullish on him eventually getting there because from everything I've seen, he wants to work and he has a great feel for the game.

#1 OremLK, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Arnel, zeeshan2, joshuaao and 11 others like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

By the time (if) this guy is good enough to win games, Stephen Silas will be considered the top available free agent coach on the market.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

his broken jumper is a deal breaker, I’m sorry

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading the pick if he’s the best option when it’s our time to make a selection

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

People said the same stuff about Shaedon Sharpe, and after a strong second half of his season, he's already looking ready to play serious minutes and possibly start for Portland next season. (Or he may get traded to another team to start for them if they are desperate enough to appease Dame.)

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If our GM was Joel Osteen, I could see this happening.

Pbev99, Deckard, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every time he runs a fast break, this will pop into my head. Itll be the Amen Break all the time.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Shaedon Sharpe was awful though - somebody on Zac Lowe last week was arguing he was actually single worst regular player in the league this year.

I don't really care too much about a late surge in tank time in rhe last weeks of the season - that's almost as meaningless as preseason these days.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m done with parameter players who can’t shoot. How can you focus your entire life on basketball and only shoot .65 from the line?

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Y’all won’t be happy until our entire starting 5 shoots 30% from 3

10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm one of the few Rockets fans that will agree with you on Amen. My comp has always been an freakishly athletic Josh Giddey. You have to have a plan and a vision if you draft a prospect like this. He needs high level shooting around him. I think there is a chance that he he has the highest upside in this draft after Wemby. I have read several accounts from scouts stating that he has the best 1st step they have ever seen.

I understand fans not wanting to take a chance on him. There is risk with his poor 3 point shooting. Watching Giddey this year sold me on Amen months ago. He had similar doubts about his game due to poor 3 point shooting. In just 2 years he is looking like a potential future all star. Amen is the best passer in this draft class and I think he has Haliburton potential when it comes to assists

It comes down to preferences. KPJ is a good 3 point shooter. His step back is nice and he is very good at C&S 3's. Right now, gun to your head do you take KPJ's player profile or Giddey's? If you prefer Giddey, now imagine him as the a top 2 or 3 NBA athlete.

That is Amen's ceiling.

11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't sleep on Sharpe. I don't know if you were bored enough to watch Portland late in the season, and I agree with you on late season surges. But that kid is a flat out freak. He may end up being the best player from his class. Upside is insane.

PeppermintCandy and OremLK like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Shooting can be improved. What this guy has u can’t teach. He’s gonna need some time to develop into a complete player. I don’t know about his mentality; that will determine if he can be great. But his freakish athleticism and feel for the game are very unique. A worthy lotto pick no doubt. But I don’t think he’s a good fit for Houston with 3 or 4 other developmental franchise prospects already on the roster. We need guys who can come in and play.

14. lionaire

lionaire Member

The lack of comp and mediocre shooting is definitely a concern but gotdamn he just looks so good with ball in his hands.

Could he share the backcourt with Green?

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

MKG clone

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

He did shoot 77.4% in the playoffs from the free throw line (24 for 31). Small sample size, but it lines up with the eye test--his shooting mechanics improved over the course of the season.

I don't see MKG. He's a better athlete (MKG was more around the level of Amen's brother, Ausar) and he's a much better playmaker and passer. Amen has legitimate basketball skills, not just athleticism--he will bring value on the court in a variety of ways whereas MKG was extremely one-dimensional.

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm ok with it if we get 4th pick

Arnel likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nice...

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dream scenario is we land Wemby and then can flip Sengun for pick #4 to Cha or Detroit

Amen
    Green
    Eason
    Jabari
    Wemby

That's a damn rebuild right there.

Dobbizzle and xaos like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

The negatives of the jumper and OTE level competition is a red flag. Been wondering, why few of the other guys in the 5-10 range aren't higher. Amen sounds like a high ceiling but possibly very low floor guy.

Wonder what other people's mock boards will look like (and change), as draft day approaches.

Corrosion likes this.