1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: Jaylen Brown wants to be traded to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Apr 13, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This post is so disingenuous.

Lakers - 6 total, 5 by draft (Kobe) and 1 by free agency (LeBron) (WHAT???? NO SHAQ acquired through trade, or maybe Pau?)
    Warriors - 4 total, all by draft (Curry, although Durant was added to the existing core for 2 of those runs) (What KD? Wiggins, IGGY)
    Spurs - 5 total, all by draft (Duncan) - (WHAT? Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley)
    Bulls - 3 since 1993, all by draft (MJ) (What? Bill Cartright, Ron Harper, Dennis Rodman)
    Heat - 3 total, 1 by draft (Wade) (GET THE **** OUTTA HERE WITH THIS NONSENSE - Bosh and Bron and SHAQ)
    Rockets - 2 total, both by draft (Hakeem) (OMFG - Elie, Drexler, MadMax, Kenny)

ALL of those teams EVERY ****ING ONE OF THEM had key contributors acquired through trades.

You don't win by building exclusively through the draft, that is nonsensical and frankly downright stupid.

You win by identifying a core, trying to keep those pieces and acquiring talent with others....BTW we have 8 players 22 and younger, we CAN'T KEEP ALL 8.....we need to start trading some for some older talent like Brown.

That post, was just glaringly omitting stuff - terrible, just TURRIBLE.

DD

Corrosion likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

The point is they did not trade for complimentary pieces until they identified a star to build around, DD. I am not the one being disingenuous here. You're ignoring my point to set up a strawman.

Newlin, TAB and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Who is the core? WHO?

We have :

Green
    Jabari
    Sengun
    KPJ
    Eason
    KMJ
    Christopher
    Garuba

So, you need 3, that means any of the other 5 can go, and it can be different ones to go based upon whom you are getting back in return.

Or you trade for a STAR just like Miami did in Lebron - there is not a guaranteed way of doing it.....you can win the ring in all kinds of ways, what you can't do is keep a team of 8 young guys together - you have to start flipping.

YOU just don't like the fact that GREEN may be one of the players flipped, while MOST of the ROCKETS FIRST FANS are ok with any player being flipped if it makes the team better.

ROCKETS FIRST b****ES !!!!!!

DD

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's the whole point, we don't know who our core is so we need to find that out before we go tossing guys out the door in hasty, ill-advised trades. Let the young guys develop and we will have more clarity in a year or two about who we should build around and who is more expendable in trades.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is the offseason that will make or break Stone.

I truly suspect that he would have his hands full and I assume this would overwhelm him.

He has to basically select a coach, select a system, select a floor general, has to be careful not to overstep or overdo anything, nail the draft, hit it out of the ball park, sign free agents, sign and trade.

And on the phone with other GMs, being in the war room till late in the night, on the phone with young players’ agents to have their clients work their arse off in the offseason instead of attending fashion week.

All in One freaking offseason.

#345 daywalker02, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That is the job, and why he makes MILLIONS....to do it, if not....NEXT !

I firmly believe others would have a much more cohesive POA, with him, he may have one, but it is not so obvious....as it should be if it was defined.

Not a fan.

DD

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ok, flip that around....BROWN is a CORE piece, so let's trade a MAYBE for a sure piece of the core.

My way, guarantees a core piece, your way......maybe one becomes a core piece, maybe not.

DD

8. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

It's amazing. You say a year or two and a couple of posters "hear what they want" and reply with "so we need to wait 5 more years to see them develop?"

It's like talking to 12 year olds or a drunk.

James Harden was acquired for a package headlined by a 9 year vet in Kevin Martin, Jeremy friggin Lamb, and a very good draft pick. He was 23 years old & Morey felt he could be the face of the franchise & one of the NBA's top 5-10 players for a dozen years.

If you want to upgrade with proven players, great. You use draft picks and guys like KPJ, nearly a 2nd rd pick who, for the first 163 games of his career showed you he wasn't as good as JG & had nowhere near the potential to be the guy - especially factoring in off court issues.

You consider recent picks like Tari (who I'd hate to lose), Josh, KJ, Usman and depending on what you feel Al-P can/will improve at, POSSIBLY him as well.

You don't consider your recent #2 or #3 picks who have shown flashes of extremely special potential.

#348 HTown5933, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    anthony59237, OremLK and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I think we have a fairly strong idea of who the current "core" is.....but the problem with that is the "core" is super weak without any superstar, or even star caliber players.

We then have people getting upset over the idea of trading our Kevin Martin, Steve Francis, or Luis Scola caliber players for stars due to ridiculous emotional attachments to them.

Our 20 win "core" should be viewed as expendable for legit star players that could form a core that can actually win.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And the Celtics don't want to win?

If these geriatric second year players are set in stone as jot winners why would they trade a winner for non-winners?

I guess we don't have to worry about any trades then guys. We can only trade losers for losers. So we have to find losers to trade losers like Green and Sengun for. So I guess we are stuck with losers.

Sucks. I guess we will always suck for the rest of eternity because why would any team that wants to win trade winners for losers?

Mathloom likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the rumors are true, and they obviously might not be, Brown is forcing his way out similar to Harden.

They wouldn't want to trade him any more than the Rockets wanted to trade Harden, they just didn't have a choice.

When the Rockets traded for Harden, they traded their Kevin Martin caliber guys for him....that's what we'd be trying to do again.

NewAge likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

As usual you equate the performances of our core of 20, 21, 22 year olds with guys way further down the line in their careers. You do not know whether our core of Green, Sengun, and Jabari are star caliber or not. You are just impatient and want to trade our way to mediocrity. Brown is not a superstar, he is an all-star, which most of us believe (except you and DD, great company) are future all-stars. If you want trade guys like KPJ, Tari, Tate and the other non-big 3 and draft picks for Brown that’s fine and could even contribute to us being competitive for the playoffs next year if you get a Harden or Conley.

OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can hold on to a bag of magic beans and hope they turn into a giant beanstalk....but that's not a recipe for success.

Thus far we haven't seen anything from any player on the Rockets that suggests they are future superstars. You have a couple guys like KPJ and Sengun that have shown some flashes and have separated themselves from the rest....but even they aren't good enough to be "off limits". Certainly none of the lesser players on the team should be considered that.

If you can get a sure thing, in the start of their prime for a bag of magic beans, you do that.

NewAge likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Brown is sure fire Robin. I’m not trading our bag of magic beans for a Robin. It all depends on the package we trade. I’m all in on draft picks for Brown or preferably Bridges who I think is a better fit, but I’m not throwing in any of Bari, Green, or Sengun until I see what a competent coach can do with them. I guess if it’s Sengun and our draft pick outside of the top 2 this year, I would consider it, although then we have to find a near all-star center and pg.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it's going to take ALOT to get any star with OKC now being in the market. You have to compete with any of their offers and they can always trump yours. Gobert also set the market last year for 4 1st round picks being the baseline.

So if you want to get a Brown or Bridges expect to give up this years 1st + 2 future firsts + Sengun + Tari and/or KMJ. Maybe you get can a future first for KPJ if you reroute him to another club.

TimDuncanDonaut and OremLK like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Gobert set the market and then collapsed it. His play this year should scare the hell out of anybody thinking of trading 4 1st round picks for a non-superstar vet. Minnesota has screwed themselves into mediocrity.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....okay, and we don't even have a "sure fire Robin" on the roster, we have a bag of magic beans that will get you 20 win seasons.

If you could flip Green for a legitimate "Robin" caliber star, you do that.

No one on the team should be off limits for an actual star.

I know that we have people who are REALLY emotionally attached to those magic beans, but hope isn't an actual plan.

18. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Well he won't come here without udoka, Vogel sucks just ask laker fans, we will have hopes for wemby harden and brown and strike out on all 3. And be left with cam freaking Johnson who is a role player at best

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

that's a good point but I feel like the trade market is like the housing rental market... **** never be going down.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We just disagree on our top 3’s potential, that’s fine. I think you are a knowledgeable basketball poster, but your everybody is a dumbass that disagrees with me is very annoying.

Phillyrocket likes this.