1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Major

Major Member

3 years after the rebuild started, the Texans have collected zero talent. Impressive job by the team. I'm sure that's all Watson's fault.

Nick and mikol13 like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Neither AR or Levis is going to be available late 1st or 2nd. And waiting until next year is a fool's errand because there's no way to know if you'll have a top 3 pick then and everyone who's being evaluated as amazing in that class now will be picked apart to find all the flaws. You'll just in this year's situation except possibly without the #2 pick.

3. raining threes

2 drafts since Caserio took over and didn't have 1st and 2nd rd picks in his 1st draft

You don't like his picks, but last draft I would say he hit on his picks in minus the 1st rd because of injury.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Zero talent is hyperbolic. They are a center away from having a really good offensive line. They have 2 really good rb’s in Pierce and Singletary. Pitre, Ward, and maybe Stingley can make for a good secondary. Harris looks pretty good at linebacker. Schultz is a really good TE. They have plenty of holes especially at WR, DL, Linebacker and QB, but they are not devoid of talent. I expect at least 2 of the 4 weakness groups to be addressed in this year’s draft. They also still have plenty of assets and cap for trades. The addition of Rankin also helps the DL.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Ya Tyree is more of a dark horse candidate in a trade down than Carter IMO. My only issue is that if we go this route, I think we’d have to trade up for those QBs unless the #12 is spent on Hooker (Levis and AR go in top 10 and Hooker in the 1st).

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Member

Most of what you said either involves players/talent that was already here (the best players on the o-line) or players that were just signed as a FA this past off-season. "maybe Stingley" is an indictment of possibly missing on an all-world CB in his best chance to acquire an impact player in the draft.

They've had picks. 3 years is an eternity in the NFL. There are no 5 year rebuilds. He's done some things with the cap... and being a good cap manager has its role in front offices around the league, but much like there was questions as to who was truly making the call in New England on drafts/player development, Casserio hasn't necessarily answered any of that here.

whag00 likes this.
  7. raining threes

The DL now has rotational depth with Collins/Rankins and Ridgeway. Also having Hinish/Lopez/Stallworth (Who I think many people are sleeping on.) should be more effective having to play less snaps. The secondary should be good but there's a lack of depth at the S position. Need to find a pass rushing edge or 2 and a young LB to pair with Harris. I dont know how much Perryman and Littleton have left, but they were solid players a couple of years ago. I'm expecting Ryans to be able to find a late rd LB gem to learn from the vets.

The offense is another story, but finding a stud center would solve a lot of issues, in addition to adding a QB. They need to add play makers at the WR position, but this isn't the best WR class to be taking a guy with a high pick. So, give me the fastest WR in the draft (Palmer) and the most well rounded WR in the draft (Mingo) and I'm happy with upgrading that position without bringing in a star level player.

There also needs to be depth added across the board. Cant do all of these things, but progress has been made and I'm looking forward to making more progress in this draft.

Wattafan and Shark44 like this.
  8. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

I don’t think it would be a huge loss if they got rid of Caserio.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Um he has literally never had full control.. in New England they wouldn’t even give him the GM title. BOB kept most control too. Hell he couldn’t even take enough control to ensure we lost that final game.. we do a lot of assuming we know exactly how ppl are and what they feel on this forum and take it as fact.

what I’m hoping for is he gets pushed into the Easterby role of VP or operations and we bring in Peters. Because yes, Peter’s is better at evaluating talent as another poster said.

10. Major

Major Member

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you're also advocating for the Texans to wait until next year's crop of supposedly better QB's. How does that work? If you think they have all this talent, that likely means they aren't drafting at the top of the first round next year.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well you see Major, it doesn’t matter if we are better than last year, and even when we are the worst team we can’t get the top pick. Those QBs next year that have not been put under anywhere near the scrutiny of the ones this year as they head into draft, are for sure worth 3+ first round picks to move up. It’s much less risky and more efficient than drafting a smaller qb with all the mental traits you could want at #2. But it’s ok, because you don’t understand how to GM.

12. raining threes

You got that out of my post?
    They've improved the talent level, but it's going to take a couple of more years to rebuild. Starting this year drafting a QB in 2024, and adding 3-4 more guys that can play and let the young QB learn the NFL ropes.

Vegas has them as a 55 win team, how many games do you have them winning? I'm thinking 6-7 tops which should put them in range to trade up for a QB.

13. raining threes

Ladies and gentlemen we've got a fan of midgets and I don't claim to know everything. I just don't believe in taking huge risks on outliers.

14. raining threes

Ladies and gentlemen we've got a fan of midgets. I don't know everything, but taking chances on outliers in any walk of life usually doesn't end up well.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What a weird thing to focus on. Me wanting Bryce can’t be for any reason other than my “midget fandom” it’s crazy that 90% of the NFL world must also love midgets. Which is pretty weird for the sport.

Sooty likes this.
  16. Sooty

Sooty Member

Another midget fan here.

Ranked so well out of HS, performed at college, walked away with a Heisman. Did fantastic as a short person, and played better than those with prototypical size.

Sorry, you cannot see that.

houstonstime likes this.
  17. raining threes

I can name 3 QB's that fit this profile that haven't been successful NFL QB's off of the top of my head. But hey you can believe that there's no reason for this to happen and he's going to be the chosen one to beat the odds. Many thought the same things about the other tiny QB's. BTW, I don't think he's going to be a bad QB. Just not a championship level QB like the tiny QB's before him.

18. raining threes

What's weird is that you think 90% agree with you.

More like 60-70% are overlooking the obvious.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Wait? Which 3?

20. Sooty

Sooty Member

I don’t think one QB his size went top 2.

Pretty crazy we’re in 2023 and talking about a 5’10 guy going top 2. When historically it is as you say, an outlier.

Kid must be really good or something. Or everyone just might be dunces.

houstonstime likes this.