1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Don't tell some on this board this. They will accuse you of not knowing the game. See, what you don't understand about St. Maldonado is he has mystical powers to make pitchers awesome. It's completely and totally why the Astros are so great at pitching. Ignore the fact that they are just as awesome at pitching when they throw the ball to someone else. Why is he here? He's a people person, damn it! You can't just expect the engineers to talk to the clients after all. Or the pitchers to be locked in enough to know what pitch they want to throw in a situation. No- it has to be St. Maldonado the pitcher whisperer and if you don't understand that... you must be pitied. Also- every decision the Astros have ever made is correct, and they made this Maldy decision- so ipso facto you are wrong and should sit there and stew and feel bad in your wrongness.

Tomstro and IBTL like this.
  2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think that evaluation ended during Spring training. Lee is starting in AAA so Taking over for Maldy will not require more innings than he is accustomed to. Salazar likely continues in his role as bench catcher & Diaz continues as a versatile bench bat/DH.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What I see is a dugout full of people who LOVE Maldy.

When he does something good - even normally good - it is crazy how happy everyone is for him.

I see and read all about how much the fans want him replaced, but my eyes tell me the players and management want him to play.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wouldn’t most people be leery about being replaced? In all aspects of society, not just sports?

IBTL, xcrunner51 and Joe Joe like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not really. Most pro athletes who fit Maldonado’s profile (mediocre stastical performers on the back end of the age curve whose value is tied up in intangibles) tend to be above that, at least to the degree they welcome internal competition in the interest of winning. A really high character player would recognize the upside to bringing in a player who may represent an upgrade to their role on the team, and most would at worst view it as a challenge more than a threat. And yes I think that concept extends beyond sports.

Tomstro and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Plus- he's going to get paid either way- bringing in someone that's better than him and can handle 80% of an 80/20 split could add 4 or 5 years to his career while he's around as the wily old veteran that helps with the pitching meetings and all the guys like throwing too. In addition to less wear and tear on the body. It's an odd choice not to embrace that role.

IBTL likes this.
  8. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Because they feel sorry for him. It is like "Holy crap, the blind squirl just found a nut." You can't be anything but happy for the squirl.

I am kidding, not kidding.

IBTL likes this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There is nothing versatile in how Diaz is being used.
    He's got 14 PA and is ahead of only Salazar on the team- 12th least amount.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Maldy busting out to be a .300 hitter this year baby!

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Clearly your idea of pro athletes is different than mine.

Admittedly I have no first hand experience but what I have read is that most athletes at that level feel that they are the best option and would not accept being replaced gracefully.

To get to that level it takes a certain drive and personality that most of us simply don't understand.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think Maldy is a low character player. And this is all conjecture anyways.

Also, some of the most competitive athletes ever scoffed when teams actively brought in or courted guys who could one day replace them… from Jordan to Brady to Rodgers to Biggio to Mad Max to Kenny Smith to moon….

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

None of those guys you listed are in any way similar to Maldonado. Maldy was a fringey player prior to coming to the Astros. He was a backup in Milwaukee for 5 years, then bounced around for 3 seasons before landing with Houston. Prior to coming to the Astros he’d played more than 100 games in a season just once. It’s not like he was some superstar who had right to feel like he was grandfathered into a starting MLB job.

IBTL, Tomstro and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The pitchers love him though. And he was a major factor (per everybody on this team) in continuing their winning ways. He won over Cole and JV. He’s won over his managers.

Who does just willingly step aside when he’s one of the clear clubhouse leaders? Even Ausmus didn’t step aside.

and again, this is all conjecture by you that he’s not “welcoming”.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Everything expressed by pretty much any poster on this board is to some degree “conjecture”. What’s your ****ing point?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My point is that it’s human nature to not just fall over backwards for your potential replacement. Even Jake ****ing Taylor, the ultimate team player, hated it.

17. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Multiple GMs? Was he not a backup and tossed around the league before Houston?

18. Major

Major Member

Lunhow. Click. Hinch. Dusty.

19. Screaming Fist

I think Luhnow liked Maldy but I think Click is a stretch. If Click loved Maldy he wouldn’t have signed Castro when money was very tight. I don’t think he hated Maldy, but I think he wanted to reduce Maldy’s role but was frustrated by his obstinate skipper.

I wonder if Brown is learning the lessons now that Click learned back then.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Click signed Maldy to a two year exension and gave him a raise. Castro was paid $3.5MM/yr (less than Maldy got) by a guy willing to pay $6 or $7MM to middle relievers. It would be hard to pay a veteran backup catcher much less than than Castro got.

That he has an obstinate manager that keeps making decisions that lead to World Series appearances? (playing Yuli, putting Pena in the 2 hole, playing Chas against righties, etc)

#120 Major, Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2023