1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can't shake the feeling that Maldonado is just a warm blanket for pitchers. If it was taken away they would be just fine, instead they hold onto something safe. Verlander was fine throwing to McCann, Chirinos and Castro, same with LMJ

They know him and are comfortable with him, even if the team would probably be better off with a different catcher, one that actually contributed something offensively.

Wulaw Horn and IBTL like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah accepting things as they are is not how I'd plan on doing it. **** doing that with Maldy. He should have been benched last year (regardless if we won the WS or not) and needs to platoon w/ Diaz and not get the majority of the starts this year too.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

JV certainly wasn’t fine pitching to Stassi, and the Astros got rid of him.

All of those other catchers had similar track records of handling pitching staffs… and the most importantly had experience. They could get another veteran in here I suppose. It’s also still pretty underestimated in here how much prep work the catchers do and I’m guessing the younger guys lack that acumen (not that they couldn’t learn it).

They really should have hung on to Vasquez.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What is the eye test?

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I really wish they did too for Vazquez. Ugh.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros shouldn't need any more information to evaluate him. The front office tried to replace him as starter last deadline and the team looked hard this offseason. The Astros won't make any noticeable changes at starting C because it isn't the off-season, not near deadline, and unlikely a catcher in organization takes it from him. I will laugh if they do replace him at the deadline after what happened last year.

The World Series win last year won't help them win this year. A lot went right with the Astros last season that may or may not happen this season.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

We can all dream, and I was leading the charge for Contreras or brining back Vazquez in the offseason thread. However, the Astros ran Maldy out there for 11 of 13 playoff games even with a sports hernia and a broken thumb while having Vazquez on the bench. Unless his arm falls off he will be out there. His defense has been a concern so far this season and that's really the thing that could limit his playing time a little. They don't care if he hits .069.

I want to see Hunter Brown earn the 3rd start in the playoffs.

IBTL likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, and yes. I agree that not just anybody can be a full time receiver, there is a huge value to game calling, prepwork and personality management. Martin Maldonado is far from the only guy in baseball with those skills most of them can keep their average over .190

But they didn't keep Vasquez, or get anybody else because Maldonado is entrenched as the warm blanket for players. As long as we have an elite top 6 we can survive with an 8 man lineup, not a lot of room for struggles or injury from the good players though.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Maldy’s offense is fine in the 9 hole of an Astros lineup that includes 6 star level hitters (Alvarez, Tucker, Altuve, Abreu, Bregman, and Brantley) and 2 other good hitters (Pena and McCormick), especially considering he can be pinch hit for late in games as needed. But with Altuve and Brantley out, and Bregman struggling, it just makes Maldy’s weaknesss so much more glaring.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/martin-maldonado-s-preparation-is-key-for-astros

No accident when Maldy’s performing like **** he gets a puff piece to explain his value.

It sounds like he puts in a ton of time, just mostly for the benefit of the pitchers. There’s no doubt they recognize and appreciate that.

if he were putting in the time to study the opposing pitchers (for himself) rather than the opposing hitters, he’d probably be slightly better. But is that trade off worth it for him or the team overall?

the biggest thing he could do this year is instill Yainer and Korey Lee with those prep skills.

Wulaw Horn, IBTL and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Appearantly you haven't seen Maldys completely awful batting stats the last few years. Historically poor.

Or his lower end framing rates.

Or his middle of the road defensive rankings.

Or the high number if passed balls.

But he is the Chuck Brown of the Astros.

12. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

I have said this since the last time we traded for him. We are the only organization that places value on him.

13. Nook

Nook Member

If the Astros are struggling, there will be more and more pressure put on Maldonado's bat, especially with injuries.

When the Astros are running away with the division, it is easy to trot out Maldonado, especially with elite pitching.

If the Astros pitchers under-perform, it is easier to envision a scenario where the Astros attempt to stretch their line up by replacing their catcher.

Salvador Perez is still out there, and he has thus far looked solid. The Astros have the prospects and money to add him if they are so inclined. His contract is for 2 seasons and then a 2 million dollar buyout. He is good enough to probably quash any issues with Maldonado in the clubhouse.

The contract is short enough to let Diaz play all over and then next season compete for the back up job for a year.

Perez can throw runners out, has a lot of power and works well in game preparation. His low OBP% isn't ideal, but having a #9 hitter than has a .500 slugging percentage would be big for the Astros. He also has a history of being better when situated right in a line up.

I'm sure there is some fear over paying him $20,000,000 a year but his production is good, and he has been a solid offensive contributor for years. He is likely a 3-4 WAR player the next couple of seasons.

Altuve
    Brantley
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Perez
    McCormick
    Pena

That is a really stout offensive line up, maybe the best in baseball.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That would be hella awesome.

Nook likes this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

In 56 career at bats Hensley has a .286 average and .375 on base%. His OPS is .786

56 at bats is WAY too small of a sample size to determine if he can hit or not, but the 27 at bats he has had this year is WAY WAY too small of a sample to say he looks like a AAAA player

Dubon has over 700 at bats with an on base % of .289, his defensive versatility has value, and i'm glad he is off to a good start, but there is no way he should be playing regularly over Hensley.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone played 3B this year besides Bregman? Just curious as to who the backup is. I think Dubon and Hansley can play there and I know Julks played some in SL last year.

Not saying Bregman needs to be benched just curious who plays there on days off.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is the main reason I think it's so crazy that we have 3 catchers on the roster, yet won't use Diaz at DH or to pinch hit much at all. It's basically a wasted roster spot. If they don't think Diaz can DH/Pinch Hit, or if Dusty just won't use him that way even if the organization thinks he is ready...then that spot should go to someone with some defensive versatility

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- and a God level pithing staff and a 7 deep lineup. They don't have either of the other right now so they don't have the option of lighting all his AB's on fire. The org allegedly loves Diaz bat. Lets see it. Maldy personally ****ed over an entire game with his abysmal defense. He never was all that good. Now, adding in the age it's a really bad player. Diaz might suck too but he's our #2 prospect. He needs to get a decent sample and if it's not him then it needs to be Korey Lee

Rileydog and IBTL like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean yes, that's exactly what's going on with him.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

3B is basically Hensley's natural position, if Bregman isn't there Hensley will be. Dubon can play 3rd, but with Altuve out he will usually be given middle infield priority.

prospecthugger and Wulaw Horn like this.