1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Stephen Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm a hardcore tanker. But Silas didn't even do a good job of tanking. The lack of leadership, crappy team culture, and bizarre distribution of minutes — often to players we shouldn't be developing, at the expense of players we should — were unnecessary and unnecessarily harmful.

Patience, saleem, burlesk and 10 others like this.
  2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Halellujah

Worse than McHale...

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He does, but he's enough of a weasel to deflect blame. Even now, everyone and their dog knew Silas was not going to be retained. This should have been Easy Mode for any jamoke trying to play at being a GM. But this dude didn't even have the stones (zing) to do it respectfully and correctly. Instead, he basically leaked it to the media first, allowed them to essentially break the news to him, so now tomorrow becomes a formality where he doesn't even have to say the words. This spineless **** probably won't even look Silas in the eye during that meeting tomorrow.

And don't get me wrong, Silas engaged in criminal levels of ****ery in the way he coached this team, but ultimately he's a good dude that at least deserved the respect of being fired gracefully.

4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

LOL…sounds like jinx
    Keep my fingers crossed

5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bugged the **** out of me too.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hahaha we're being so harsh on the dude. Just makes me sad, he has all the skills but his on and off court CHOICES are so bad, they are rendering his skills easily replaceable.

Willing to try anything at this point to change him because he could be worth his salary but I don't know if I believe he'll do that before he's 25. Being handed the keys to this team was toxic for his career and he gained little to nothing from it. He needs to be a role player on a team that can win without him and I think then he'll have the proper perspective on how to handle his career.

I bet as young he is he thought it wouldn't get out that he was acting like Allen Iverson with practice. The problem is he's not Allen Iverson.

Easy likes this.
  7. Risingred

Risingred Member

The departure of Stephen Silas is the best news for the Rockets before entering the offseason. Every sport network was saying that Silas is a good coach and the Rockets set him up to fail. Great, I hope they'd recommend Stephen Silas to coach the Lakers when the team decided they wanted banana instead of ham. Unfortunately, they wouldn't recommend Silas to the Lakers or any of their favorite teams even they have been saying how great Silas was. The hypocrisy and incompetence of the media is pathetic. Most mainstream news outlet made comments about the Rockets without even watched a single Rocket's game this season. Few people like Charles Barkley would admit that he didn't watch it. I was lucky that I didn't gamble this year over and under. That being said, I'd guess without a blink the Rockets would win over 23 games at the beginning of the season. We drafted some very promising players getting into the 2nd year, we had the 3rd overall pick, and we won 20 games last season, based on these facts everyone would think we could get 3 more wins. I don't know what magic Silas has, he managed to win only 1 more win from last season. Those sport "analysts" didn't look at those simple facts and said Silas is a good coach. The only thing those networks are right is that the Rockets is a terrible organization because a decent organization would have sent Silas fishing a lot time ago. I still can't understand how the Rockets can miss out Quin Snyder. The Rockets definitely has a higher chance winning a champs than the Hawks three years from now, and the Hawks are peak out as a mediocre at best team. It's correct there are many other good coaches available in this offseason, but you will also have numerous teams competing for a good coach. Anyway, this post is not about the Rocket's organization, but Stephen Silas. As a Rockets fan since Yao's era, every time the mainstream media said one thing, it always turned out to be good if we did the opposite. Hopefully today is the turning point of the Rockets organization.

saleem and ashleyem like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, the two faced Stone should go as well.

Matter of time.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. MettaWorldPete

Damn I haven't been here since the first year of the tank, after which I lost faith in Silas. Respect to those who stuck through it. Bummer to hear the problems run deeper, but not surprising.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thanks, Metta Sandiford.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Weird inaccurate thread title. "Rockets opt not to renew Silas's contract" is what actually happened.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Thank goodness we’ve moving on

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

I don't care how bad Silas has been, Stone the lawyer has no business interrupting practice to teach our guys defense! Seriously?! Y'all cool with that? He wants to suggest lineups and tell coach who to play, thats one thing but stay your ass off the court.

I don't want a GM to he that hands on, on court. Stick to your job bud

15. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Not surprising. Did Ryan Hollins get let go too? He's blocking all Rockets fans on Twitter?

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Silas meet Stone's goal of getting a high lottery pick, but Silas did so through "poor coaching".

Stone is looking for an experience NBA coach who hopefully has lead his team to the playoffs AND developed talent along the way. Good ****ing luck with that.

Two years from, we will see the headline "The Rockets Fire Coach X" after he takes the team to the playoffs, meeting Stone's goal but did so through "poor coaching".

#136 No Worries, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

An experienced NBA HC will have zero tolerance of this.

An experienced NBA HC will also want to hire his own staff.

Given this, the Rockets may have a hard time landing an experienced NBA HC.

saleem, MettaWorldPete and Victorious like this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

One of the worst coaches in Rockets history. Did absolutely nothing to help our rebuild. Farewell Silas.

MettaWorldPete and persian hoopa like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I saw several posters pointing this out. But I think it's just a technicality. The fact is the same, they want him gone.

The Rockets don't fire coaches. (McHale was the only one who got fired before his contract expired, IIRC.) They just don't renew. It makes financial sense when it's not really urgent. And coaching change is usually not that urgent. Morey was quoted to say that coaching wouldn't affect more than a few wins.