1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Stephen Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Apr 9, 2023.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

like i said: this is probably how trash a coach Silas was. The assistant coaches were pleading with this dude to do common sense stuff. the reporters would ask silas common sense stuff then Silas would do it the very next game.. Silas is a special case.

#101 DreamShook, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  2. ExTexanNowEastCoast

That team won in spite of Nash, not because of him. Sorry, its facts.

Look at what the team did after Nash got fired this season? Sorry, data tells the tale. Vaughn kept this team top 6 despite losing two All Stars/HOFs. Again, Nash was not a good coach. Does he deserve all the blame? Of course not. But he deserves none of the credit.

Don't get it twisted: Marks wanted to hire Nash because that is his buddy. Vaugh had done a great job taking over for KA in 2020, and was passed over by Marks for Nash. Marks knew he needed to keep Vaughn around so he made him the highest paid assistant/co-head coach in the league at that time. He asked Durant if it was okay and KD said yeah, because that is what KD always says at first. Then he starts to complain behind the scenes. Just ask Scott Brooks, Steve Nash, Steve Kerr, and everyone else who has dealt with him. I am waiting for the "some players feel Monte has lost the team" talk start next season in Phoenix. If it does, that is all KD.

Kyrie, for once in his life, probably spoke for most of the team when he said, "Well, I have my opinion. We don't really need a head coach anyway, so whatever."

That quote was damning and the fact that no one on the team said anything to counter it tells you everything. Sean Marks had to run down from the Sky Box and yell that "this team only has one coach." That is the proverbial kiss of death for coaches. Undermines their credibility with players, and shuts down communications between players and coaches, because the players assume that the HC is just going to run and tell the front office everything. Now there is no trust.

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Silas possibly never draws plays.

Aruba77 likes this.
  4. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

After three days years in hell, on Easter Sunday, the Rockets Franchise rises from the dead.

Y2JT, Rocketeer and juanm34 like this.
  5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Oh no, anyways.

Is Nix still here? Can we roll the butterlard off a hill into a pit of cheesecakes?

6. Nook

Nook Member

I’ll talk about it later when I have more time, but these reports about the dysfunction is accurate but really down play the frequency of the problems and the issues extended well beyond just Stephen Silas.

At this point Silas needed to go, and he had failings… but at least half the issues were beyond Silas and in some cases independent of Silas.

I will be curious if down the road Silas or one of the assistants decide to really get into the toxicity and lack of accountability in the organization.

Let’s hope it starts to change.

jch1911, Believe It!, Deuce and 13 others like this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just got back from Easter stuff and see this. Cool.

AroundTheWorld and J.R. like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What puppet coach are you guessing Stone will choose? Pretty sure culture issues stem from him. Seems Fertitta has mostly stayed out of ****, although maybe Patrick is meddling in basketball affairs.

cheke64 and Aruba77 like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Any chance we can get rid of Stone and promote Eli Witus instead?

Also, is it really Stone who just cannot finally cut his losses and admit that his dumbass KPJ experiment utterly failed, and destroyed the culture?

Can Fertitta really not see this?

Thanks @Nook

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have a sneaking suspicion, especially in light of what has already come out, and what people like Nook have been saying for a while, that we won’t be able to get this turned around until Stone is gone too. I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t understand folks who think he’s done a good job these last 3 years. It’s never entirely on just one person. I never like it when coaches get fired but the GM who hired them and also made mistakes gets to keep their job. I don’t like when it happens in any pro sport.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm just happy we don't see a smiling, happy coach at the end of a game lost.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

no way Stone chooses a puppet coach.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. a time to chill

This is what I feared. I wanted Silas to stay an extra year mainly because it would mean that things were going according to plan - tank for 3 years for high picks and then start to compete. Firing Silas signifies things haven't gone to plan and that the people in charge of the rebuild may be dysfunctional. It baffles me how Stone could not make meaningful improvements to last year's 20-win roster besides the draft and then expect a significant improvement this year.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it’s funny that I watched most of the games these last 3 seasons, and the only winning play I can remember actually seeing getting drawn up was Mahmoud Abdelfattah when Lucas was coaching. I’m sure that’s not accurate but sadly it’s my recollection

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Exactly.

Stone knows thet if he picks another failure at coach his ass is next.

Conversely if he picks a coach that actually makes this a good team he could have job security for years.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Silas wasn't that bad but he wasn't really really good either.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wait you mean a team with 3 top 75 players in their prime won more because of their players rather than their coach?

:eek:

The movie Hoosiers was a lie!

Somebody call AMC Northwest Mall 4 and get my $4.75 back!!!!!

burlesk, ElPigto and Nook like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

y’all say Silas is dumb and never draws up plays, yet he drew up enough to convince Stone’s dumbass to hire him while he still wanted to keep James Harden

Stone deserves 10x the smoke that Silas gets

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The idea of Rafael Stone, a guy who hasn't played organized ball since the 60's, trying to teach modern NBA players defensive is almost comical if it wasn't so tragic. That right there tells you a lot - when the head of the org is totally clueless on what his job is and isn't, and how and when to let people do their jobs and listen - then you know the entire organization is going to be a mess all the way to the bottom.

He clearly doesn't have managerial talent, and clearly has a massive ego that thinks he knows better than others. A recipe for disaster.

Easy, AroundTheWorld and Aruba77 like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

#120 J.R., Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    burlesk likes this.