1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Three predictions for an important Rockets offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 6, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Please not Scott Brooks

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, Brooks did do a pretty good job developing a bunch of high draft picks in OKC. That was literally 15 years ago at this point though, and he hasn't done much of note since then.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  3. TheBeastSystem

1 wow out of nowhere
    2 hmmmmm really
    3 everybody is shopped

my predictions
    1 rox release nix in next few days maybe kaminsky too

2 rox sign two or three players before the season ends maybe both or one of days/hudgins or possibly guys like jamaree bouyea and michael foster jr/jontay porter
    could be that the 2-way guys sign regular deals and we bring in 2 more guys like i mentioned above
    if stone doesn't sign anybody he's asleep at the wheel
    i think better of him than that

3 tate is moved this summer (another no brainer like clutch's above)

4 sengun is not traded spends a lot of time in houston perfecting the 3-ball and working on defensive rotations

5 harden ain't coming
    tobias is more likely to be a rocket than him but hope not

6 we'll trade for guys into our cap space that are either assets themselves or they come with assets
    most likely they'll be vet assets that we get for guys like tate/martin from a team downsizing their salary cap like the warriors/wiggins or clippers maybe sixers-harris

7 we'll re-sign boban to some sort of crazy deal that makes him a trade asset after we fill up our cap space

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In retrospect when I think about markets, I could only think of Toronto who emphasized on international players/Stars.

And the Spurs.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-rosters-feature-109-international-player

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

even though I like the idea of an ex-rocket as coach, NO to Scottie Brooks.

6. TheBeastSystem

8 rox will offer silas a contract to move to the front office and he decides whether to take it or not

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Either @Clutch reads [Player Assessment] threads or it's just obvious to most of us.

Ubiquitin and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wait - so Paulo is a franchise guy because he scores 20ppg on 42/29/73 splits.

But Jalen isn't, because he is a year older. Despite scoring 22 on 42/33/79 splits.

I mean.... I really like big guys who can initiate the offence, but not sure you can label Paulo a franchise guy just yet. Both players named here have potential though!!

joshuaao, cmlmel77 and Rolliepollie like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The player you want to compare Banchero to is called Sengun. Alperen Sengun.

upload_2023-4-7_20-55-54.png
    upload_2023-4-7_20-56-10.png

Sengun is better in every aspect of the game, except free throws and fouls. (And Banchero simply shoots more).

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I might well be wrong. I don't see Alpy ever being the franchise player of a playoff team.
    His value will never be higher than this off-season, and I think trading him is the way to maximise ROI.

If wrong, and he is the franchise guy for a Rockets playoff team, I will be thrilled!!

maj21 likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He is 20 and has already broken all kinds of records, and improved greatly from season 1 to season 2.

What do you base this assumption on?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Young players often take the biggest step from year 2 to year 3. So the assumed potential jump is there

Year 3 and 4 are rookie scale and team control and give the best extension/ resigning options. Once off rookie scale his value is set and harder to get a higher ROI unless he is an all star

So probably at its highest now for the very reasons you just mentioned!! Potential to improve.

13. fattz

fattz Member

I can’t agree more.
    If we miss on the top 2 players.,,

First pick take either Walker or Taylor Hendricks —.> move Smith to center —.> Sengun to 6th man

Second pick take Wallace, Smith, Hood OR Sasser —> move Porter to the off guard.

We are better definitely with the 2 rookies than we are now

wait there is more

Green underachieving needing fundamental work on both ends of the court and over all Inefficient scoring. Hopefully he is traded because he is one of our biggest trade chips at the moment. (a small forward would be ideal - Brown)
    AND
    Free agent —> cap space

DREAM
    Harden (2 year deal)
    trade with Boston

Harden / Porter (catch & shoot) / Brown / Walker / Smith —> Sengun (as 6th man)

Rolliepollie likes this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

1. I predict the Rockets will bring in Scott Brooks as head coach and hire Sam Cassell and Mario Elie as assistants and keep Hollins and Abdelfettah as well.

2. I predict Rockets will push hard to bring Harden back and just might succeed.

3. I'll wait and see what draft pick they end up with next month.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We really are a clown show. Tonight proved it. It’s like we are trying to hurt ourselves.

16. Sengoat28

Sengoat28 Member

I would love it if sengun get trade to another franchise so he get all star and iam happy there is not possible that anotjer franchise treath him so bad like houston did. Gave him less ball touch, bench, criticise him only, start a no name bug bruno over him, not allow him take 3s and so on

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, sure, but Sengun also has an extra season's worth of NBA experience, which is worth a lot in terms of player development. Seriously impressive what Banchero is doing as a rookie.

The fact that Sengun could be in the conversation with a #1 overall pick at all for value is pretty awesome though! I think most teams would still take Banchero though.

18. maj21

maj21 Member

You’re not wrong

19. maj21

maj21 Member

Idk why y’all assume things would automatically be better with another team. Some teams would have his ass coming off the bench and playing 20 min a game

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Totally forgot about him since he was in the bubble as Wizard coach.