1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets expected to part ways with Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Apr 7, 2023.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Or as J. Peterman said to Elaine Benes as he took back control of Peterman's from Elaine after she put the "Urban Sombrero" on THE COVER of the Peterman's catalog........"thank you for a job........DONE!!!".

Thanks coach Silas!

I like Nurse but don't want Brooks at all!

burlesk, evo8lover and groovemachine like this.
  2. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

It's all about $$ unfortunately

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This was decided months ago, of course.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

I'd be good with Nick Nurse. #1 pick and new coach, get some talented veterans in here, we might start creeping back into relevancy. Think next year still won't be too pretty, but should see some big steps forward.

I can't believe that if the Rockets go 0-2 in the last 2 games, same record as last year. I was honestly hoping for 26-28 wins, so to get through all this and still be at 20 is a disappointment. Good thing league pass was half off over Thanksgiving, so like 50 cents per game haha

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Nurse is the only option.

PWR, burlesk, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Just like 3 years ago, getting the right coach for this team is critical. I don't want another 3 years of awful coaching.

PWR, PeterKingX, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't want Scotty Brooks, but almost anyone is going to seem like an upgrade over Silas. Dude is really THAT bad.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

AWFUL COACHING? Silas coached us into the tankers' version of the finals all three years, just like he was supposed to. At no point were we ever in serious jeopardy of falling out of the race for a top 3 pick. Do you have any idea how difficult that is?

Being facetious, of course, but seriously, Silas carried out the front offices' orders to be in position for top draft picks three years in a row.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion, but we now have a talented core who were given a long enough leash to learn. They had their growing pains, and all of them sucked at one point or another, but I'm happy with where we are now, given Fertitta and Stone's DESIRE TO TANK HARD.

So I'm pretty pleased with the job Silas did. I mean, what else could Silas have done, under the weird circumstances? Could he have developed the players more? Of course, but he also could have totally f%$cked up their development, which he didn't. I would even argue that those who think he should have been replaced earlier just didn't understand the rebuild plan that Stone laid out.

In two more games, the full-on tanking (Phase 1) ends, so it's time to bring in a better coach to take us through Phase 2 (getting back to the playoffs) of the rebuild, and possibly even Phase 3 (competing for titles).

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just wait until we finish this season beating Charlotte and Washington. 3-0 to end the season with a big win over the #1 seeded Nuggets. Now that is progress baby. Silas deserves an extension. It's not too late to change your mind Patrick!

BigShasta likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

AWFUL COACHING? Silas coached us into the tankers' version of the finals all three years, just like he was supposed to. At no point were we ever in serious jeopardy of falling out of the race for a top 3 pick. Do you have any idea how difficult that is?

Being facetious, of course, but seriously... I know this will be a very unpopular opinion, but Silas carried out the front offices' orders to be in position for top draft picks three years in a row.

We now have a talented core who were given a long enough leash to learn. They had their growing pains, and all of them sucked at one point or another, but I'm happy with where we are now, given Fertitta and Stone's DESIRE TO TANK HARD.

So I'm pretty pleased with the job Silas did. I mean, what else could he have done, under the weird circumstances? Could he have developed the players more? Of course, but he also could have totally f%$cked up their development, which he didn't. I would even argue that those who think he should have been replaced earlier just didn't understand the rebuild plan that Stone laid out and were instead hoping for some miraculous turnaround post-Harden. Keep dreaming, guys.

In two more games, the full-on tanking (Phase 1) ends, so it's time to bring in a better coach to take us through Phase 2 (getting back to the playoffs) of the rebuild, and possibly even Phase 3 (competing for titles).

Also, the article could be total sh!te. "Widely expected by league officials" -- with no sauces mentioned. What league officials? Adam Silver? The referees? Very shoddy reporting.

#30 topfive, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

It would be such a stone and cheapman move to sign scott brooks

Rex calamari is just another steven silas

Nook likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Scott Brooks?!!! Tilman you cheap ****

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Nurse, Udoka and Atkinson

To

Nurse, Brooks and Whoever

LMAO

Don't FK this up Stone.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Agreed, if we are going Ex-Rocket, Brooks would be after Sam or even Mario. Hell, bring in Vernon as a bench coach in case anyone gets out of line. :)

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I want Atkinson and the Golden State system.

DD

ACL1 and Plowman like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Below is the text from the original Yahoo Sports article that the two links in the OP refer to. The Rockets may indeed be getting ready to dump Silas, but "Widely expected by league officials" sounds like a totally invented semi-source that lets the writer give substance to his own thoughts (and is it really that daring a prediction?). Just the fact that he mentions Brooks as someone the team is looking at makes me question whether he knows anything at all about the org. So I'll believe the rumor when it comes with actual sources, or when it happens. I won't be celebrating yet based on this garbage.

Here are his sauces:

[​IMG]

The entire section about the Rockets from that article:

Houston Rockets
    Stephen Silas currently holds the position as Rockets head coach, but Houston is widely expected by league officials to make a change on its bench once his contract concludes at the end of this season.

Silas was originally hired during the 2020 offseason, when all coaching candidates, sources told Yahoo Sports, were required to meet with James Harden and Russell Westbrook. A pair of trade requests then led to both former MVPs departing Texas and sent the Rockets into a three-year rebuild, in which Rafael Stone’s front office has directed a prioritization of playing time for Houston’s young draft picks — highlighted by John Wall’s extended absence from the team during the 2021-22 campaign.

The Rockets, sources said, hold an organizational goal of taking significant strides toward postseason contention next season, armed with upward of $61 million in salary cap space this summer. Harden has loomed as a key target for the Rockets, sources told Yahoo Sports, with an opportunity to decline his player option with the Philadelphia 76ers for the 2023-24 campaign. And several potential coaching candidates — in addition to Nurse — whom league personnel have connected to the Rockets have a shared history with Harden.

Scott Brooks, currently an assistant with Portland, coached the Oklahoma City Thunder before Harden was dealt to the Rockets in 2012. Rex Kalamian, a current Pistons assistant coach, has also been mentioned by multiple NBA figures as a possible Houston coaching addition, perhaps as an assistant coach, with respect to his relationship with Harden since serving on Brooks’ OKC staff.

Corrosion, Stephen_A and jim1961 like this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Good to hear that you want to get rid of kpj.

HardenReturns likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Coach Steve expected to part waves

[​IMG]

Pistol Pete, PWR, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

As much as we hate Silas, the man is a legend.

He did **** all for 3 years and got paid more than all of us. The American dream is alive people.

PWR, HardenReturns, fattz and 3 others like this.