1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Do The Rockets Take At #7?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 1, 2023.

1. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Imagine sucking for 3 straight years just to win some meaningless games in the final month and ruining your chances of having best odds at a better pick.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Rockets and Texans are two peas in a pod.

Now someone's going to come in and try to argue that their chances at a top pick are the same, which is true enough, but they are lowering their possible floor with every win.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm coming in and saying it because no one gives a crap between 5 or 7.

4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

You can imagine it, but it didn’t happen. They are locked into the best odds of the top pick in the league. They have 0 chance at #7 right now. Even if the Spurs “pass” then, they will have 7% chance at 7 - half the chance of Wemby.

It would be nice if the people complaining went and looked at the actual odds.

5. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

So,maybe we don’t get to choose between Ausar Thompson, Jarace Walker and Cam Whitmore. It will not change the future of the team…I don’t really have a preference between those 3

OremLK likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When it gets down to that level of draft you have a lot of lower picks becoming better players than higher picks. We could be the team that drafts Trey Lyles instead of Devin Booker.

#26 fchowd0311, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    snowconeman22, saleem and OremLK like this.
  7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Bottom 3 worst have same chance at #1, #2, #3, and #4, the difference is at pick 5. The thing is once you get out of the top few picks, it comes down to actual front office scouting ability. Houston does not have the front office talent like that of that teams like OKC who saw Giddey, and Toronto who saw Barnes in this range. It does not matter they are second or third worst, especially in a draft that doesn't seem that deep.

saleem likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'd argue they've been pretty successful in the draft. I won't talk about Green or Smith because those were no-brainer picks that any team would've made in that position; however:

Sengun and Tari are great finds in the middle of the first round. Both will probably have long, productive NBA careers and I'm bullish enough on them that I'd ever say they'll probably be long-time starters in the league. That's hard to find at #16 and #17 respectively. Lots of flat-out draft busts in that range. IMO mid-first round picks are where good front offices really make their bones versus the bad ones. It's not that hard to pick well at the top of the draft, the consensus is usually pretty strong. Once you get into those middle picks though it really takes a lot of work to figure out where they stand. Hitting on both mid-first round picks so far is awesome. Those are a coin toss at best, maybe worse.

Garuba, TyTy, and Christopher haven't looked great so far in the late first round, but it's too early to write them off and it's really hard to find rotation players late in the first round anyway.

KJ Martin was a great pickup in the second round, so that's one hidden gem scooped up.

Overall I think I trust the front office when it comes to the draft. Not sure about other categories yet since tanking was kind of the goal. We're about to find out if they can handle the transition to trying to win.

Corpusfan, BallSoHarden and Y2JT like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think the Rockets should package both picks and try to move up the draft if they end up with the 3rd and the 18-20 and offer Miller plus the BPA for Scoot Henderson at number 2. Perhaps the Hornets might bite at it. I doubt if anyone else will.

10. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Well the last two years who were the picks 5-7? Think back and would you take any of those picks in last years draft and/or this past years draft ?

11. napalm06

Jaden Ivey, Jaden Suggs, Isaac Okoro
    Benedict Mathurin, Josh Giddey, Onyeka Okongwu
    Shaedon Sharpe, Jonathan Kuminga, Killian Hayes

Wow, very excite

rhee and No Worries like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Imagine not knowing the basic concept of lottery odds that’s extremely old news. Y’all bittchh and cry and don’t even know wtf you’re talking about

13. napalm06

What's the point in being so proud of not wanting a better pick? It could make all of the difference in a trade package if a team wants someone specific. No point in bravado, just maximizing assets.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Trade out of it.

DD

No Worries likes this.
  15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We’re one Isaac Okoro away from a championship. With Silas and staff coaching next year the sky is the limit for this team.

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

When trading the pick, the difference between 5 and 7 is night and day. Much rather have Ivey then some of the other lower picks.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why so much talk about trading away the pick? If we do that and we're not either getting a higher pick in the same draft or a top 10 player, this organization is a lot dumber than I think they are.

Highest likelihood is that we just pick wherever we land and keep the player. And that's fine in a draft this deep.

larry cook likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

When the Rockets are good again, I hope OP enjoys none of it.

He has been a whiny b**** every step of the way.

Corrosion and YOLO like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

OP is a moron. Nothing new there

continuously makes the dumbest threads on this board not knowing wtf is going on

20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Bottom 3 worst have same chance at #1, #2, #3, and #4, the difference is at pick 5. The thing is once you get out of the top few picks, it comes down to actual front office scouting ability. Houston does not have the front office talent like that of that teams like OKC who saw Giddey, and Toronto who saw Barnes in this range. It does not matter they are second or third worst, especially in a draft that doesn't seem that deep.
    I agree they have done a good job in the middle of the first, Tari and Sengun were good picks (seemed like clutchfans wanted both of these guys prior to being drafted). However, I think they have missed out on a few opportunities at the top, I don't think Green and Smith were quite the no brainer picks, I think if they had done more research they would have traded down in 2021 and traded up in 2022, their job is to know more than a casual fan, we were all shocked when Paolo went 1st, and now it looks like it was a move based on decisions made by professional scouts. An opportunity to swap Green for SGA now seems like a mistake for not making, and an opportunity to move up for Paolo may have also been a mistake. They had opportunities to grab the rookie of the year in the last two drafts, yet they missed out on it.

They have gone with the obvious picks, the stuff that fans would pick, they should be smarter than us and make moves we didnt see coming, this is what Morey was doing. This FO also likes to just hold on to guys they pick, Morey would usually find ways to sell at the top with certain people. This team seems like they just read clutchfans and make decisions as fans of players, vs. being more sophisticated in their approach. Morey was constantly talking about upgrading the roster, we are now one of those stagnant teams that is not constantly thinking of ways to improve. I can understand missing out one year on the best available player to you, but to do it in consecutive drafts means we will struggle to correct ourselves unless a generational player just happens to land in Houston.

#40 BallSoHarden, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    rhee likes this.