1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

2. Xopher

Xopher Member

So after the drones take out the 200-300 of Y'all Qeada and Meal Team 6...

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I could see it. Imagine if they planned it and targeted a school and killed like half the kids. Like 300+.

The result would be some massive funding bill to place armed guards at every entrance of every school in America. Then this will start happening at day care centers or family restaurants or the like. Yay freedumb.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love the people who say banning guns will not solve the problem because there will still be people with guns. Should this logic apply to all of our laws? Murder is against the law, but people still murder people. Maybe we should just throw our hands up in the air and abolish the law. After all, people are still going to do it whether or not iit's against the law.

I wonder how many of these school shootings would never have happened had we banned assault rifles 24 years ago after Columbine....

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I don’t love those people, they are the reason we are where we are…
    Evil is as evil does…

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm sure there is some one out there thinking : [​IMG]

Rocket River

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pretty much every school shooter does not have a mindset of 'I'll shoot some kids and walk free or come out alive'. Those who aim to escape, such as bank robbers, take this risk thousands of times per year. Comparing these two mindsets reveals how silly it is to argue for more armed guards to prevent school shootings.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

None of that is necessary. They may as well have asteroid impact drills and build a giant metal dome over the school. The odds of a child being killed in a school shooting are something on the order of 1 in 10,000,000. This is all security theater to appease the people saying we have to do something about school shootings. Spend that money on school supplies. If you want to reduce murders, spend it on police officers. Better yet, cut taxes and let people spend it on whatever they want.
    Of course there are policy solutions to fatherless homes. Policy is what created the problem and reverting to earlier policies that worked would solve the problem. The epidemic of fatherless homes is the result of the New Deal and the Great Society. The state has replaced the father, and that is terrible for the children. Get rid of those programs and you will see a lot more two parent households.
    It isn't. The TSA is a joke. Every test they run has horrible results of guns, knives, and bombs getting through. Hijackings were unbelievably rare before all of this security theater was implemented and would continue to be so without it. It does nothing to take your shoes off or not allow people to have a bottle of sunscreen or shampoo. All of this is a result of the "We have to do something." attitude that people have whenever there is a rare but terrible tragedy. We don't have to do something, everything was fine before.

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Europeans think that when it comes to guns, we're a nation of bloody fools. You are a perfect example of why.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That's nice, I think they also don't really understand the maths.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Abortion later in pregnancy is very rare, but somehow I doubt that you are okay with it. However, you are okay with children being shot dead, something that is preventable and has been largely prevented in every other well-off country (and probably every other non-well-off country as well).

As for your statistics, the impact of school shootings is more than just the immediate family directly impacted. Beyond the direct impact on hundreds of children and their families and friends, hundreds of thousands of kids are traumatized for life, and many will go on to develop mental illnesses and become less productive adults in society.

https://siepr.stanford.edu/publicat...mental-health-education-and-earnings-american
    • More than 100,000 American children attended a school at which a shooting took place in 2018 and 2019.
    • Research indicates a higher rate of antidepressant use among those exposed to a school shooting in the years following the gun violence.
    • School shootings lead to drops in student enrollment and a decline in average test scores.
    • School shootings also lead to an increase in student absenteeism and the likelihood of needing to repeat a grade in the two following years.
    • Students exposed to shootings at their schools are less likely to graduate high school, go to college, and graduate college, and they are less likely to be employed and have lower earnings in their mid-20s.

TheFreak likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

1- Coward
    2- Outgunned

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. Xopher

Xopher Member

Yeah I was looking at headlines for school shootings and I couldn't find any that read "Striaght White male..." ""Straight Hispanic male..." Also looked at some newsclips and their sexuality/ gender identity wasn't mentioned either. Strange.

Xenon, FrontRunner and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

^Granted we know this is not how FOX news operates, but it certainly doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

BTW, where's the rest of the memo? Why not at least link to it so it can be read in its entirety???

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

After race, gender is typically mentioned.

19. dmoneybangbang

LOL..... newsbusters.org......

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's not just defeatist, it's reductive.

It simplifies everyone to "criminal" and "not criminal" like we're all born good or evil or some other childish nonsense.

There's just no defending this horseshit anymore.