1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander to the Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Name some athletes that are still able to get a max deal… that automatically took less?

crose likes this.
  2. Yordan The Great

So he's injured already.

Hmmmm...

3. HTM

HTM Member

Look at those goal posts move! I can't wait until after I answer this for the goal posts to move again!

First you said:

Now I have to find examples of not just any athletes who took less then they could have gotten, but "max deal" eligible athletes!

Fortunately for me, that's vanishingly easy.

Tom Brady:

While Brady routinely took less money than his contemporaries — one analysis by Business Insider estimated he left $60 million-$100 million on the table

https://sports.yahoo.com/would-the-...-tom-brady-didnt-take-pay-cuts-181906268.html

Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade and Lebron James:

LeBron James left $15 million on the table by signing with Miami.

Dwyane Wade left $18 million on the table to bring the Big Three to Miami.

So did Chris Bosh.

https://www.businessinsider.com/14-...n-the-table-to-bring-the-big-three-to-miami-4

That article actually has 14 examples of players who took paycuts and that, assuredly, doesn't constitute the entire universe of such players.

Houstunna, marks0223 and IBTL like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, he didn't sign with those teams. That's the only thing I agree on. Mets ain't winning a WS during JVs time there. Book that ****.

#184 IBTL, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I think he owed the Astros a solid but didn't even give us a chance. That's crap to me.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I get why fans are the way they are, they care about their team and nothing else.

Baseball has no cap, Jim Crane is a billionaire, there's no reason to expect a player to take a paycut when the billionaire is perfectly capable of matching. All parties involved made a personal business decision.

The NBA and NFL have caps, there is some basis for a player taking a paycut for the better of the team. There is no such reason in baseball and the salty fans can't provide one. If the CEO of a multi billion dollar company told you to take a paycut for company loyalty so his bonus would be bigger you would tell them to go f**k themselves

#187 sealclubber1016, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    cbass likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Verlander is a wealthy man many many times over. You'd think he wouldn't chase the absolute max dollar amount and miss out on more WS wins. If I had 300+ million in the bank, I'd gladly agree to 30 mill a year and win me another WS. Plus he got paid to miss the majority of two seasons.

scott_summers likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I said the same thing. Yes, JV is still optimizing his earning potential which happens to be at max value.

I guess Brady is the only possible comparison… although he did also leave like JV did to try and chase a win elsewhere (and let’s not act like he went to TB for the bare minimum).

it’s also funny that Lebron and Wade later on also go on to leave their teams (Lebron leaves two teams) for both high dollar deals and the ability to win elsewhere. Bosh probably does the same if his health holds up.

I actually see more examples of athletes willing to leave all teams at the very end of their career… if it keeps them in position to win AND still gets them paid. The team they leave sometimes also makes that decision to let them go and not pay them.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, can’t argue with some expert analysis such as this…

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

As if your analysis was better. Lmao.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The other element to this is when player negotiate the highest dollar deals, they are also helping set precedents for the rest of the league. I would be willing to bet that the MLBPA puts pressure on players to always negotiate the highest dollars they can get.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"Its like a martian... talking to a fungo..."

Rock Block likes this.
  14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

they absolutely do. This has been confirmed many times by players.

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I am not happy that JV is hurt, but I am happy the Astros aren't paying him $43 million right now.

Also, f*** the Mets.

Rock Block and Marshall Bryant like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Rofl. r****d

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I root for the Laundry. So sue me.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If Crane is supposed to throw money away to please the fans, then I think Billionaires who own Cable Companies should provide free baseball without blackouts and free streaming. I like spending Billionaire's money too.

Houstunna likes this.
  19. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Great movie