1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

I get your point, but I do recall there being some buzz about JD putting things together in spring right before he was waived. I definitely saw flashes of a good bat his rookie year, but obviously no one could have expected what he became. Still think we **** the bed giving up on him too early.

2. HeyBudLetsParty

I get your point, but I do recall there being some buzz about JD putting things together in spring right before he was waived. I definitely saw flashes of a good bat his rookie year, but obviously no one could have expected what he became. Still think we **** the bed giving up on him too early f

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And that's why Luhnow takes the L on him... he had pleaded personally to Luhnow to see if his adjustments (made at the fear of being released) would stick.

Paredes, on the other hand, has not made any adjustments. His brief moments of MLB success came in the covid season with no fans and a different overall atmosphere. You can't have any sort of bullpen pitcher who has mental lapses in command. Maybe he can get with Framber's psychologist?

4. raining threes

Click built the bullpen and re-signed Luhnows guys. I'm not sure he should get credit for the re-signs.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It all depends on the situation.

With McCullers and Pressly, for instance, they were not even thinking about possibly leaving yet as they had months left before FA and clearly wanted to stay above anything else.

But what about Brantley, who was all but already on the Blue Jays when the Astros snatched him away.

Caveat: I don't know enough to tell the difference between Click's vs Crane's involvement and impact, but the owner is always involved in high commitment deals so all GMs should have some question about how much the owner gets credit for a signing ( or a veto)

raining threes likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One of the reasons. Javier, Framber, Pena, and Alvarez have a little to do with it also.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would put Bullpen as the main reason the Astros won the world series. Yes, Alvarez was heroic at times and he will get the casual fans admiration in Houston due to his homeruns.... but the bullpen's ability to make inning 6-9 relatively unhittable causes so much internal pressure on hitters from the get go. We have to get to X guy to get any runs.

Kyle Schwarber was bunting with two strikes in game 6 of the world series with the game on the line. Thats how defeated that team ultimately felt. Its a huge factor.

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Thoughts on potentially moving Dubon, Chas, Meyers, etc. to the #2 hole?

I thought about it and we all know the bottom of the lineup is just not on par with the top half. Basically minimizing this by putting one of these hitters at the top whereas they can get better AB's.

I doubt Dusty does this but can't wait to hear an interview in late April about Dusty wanting more from the bottom of the lineup.

Pena
    Dubon/Chas/Meyers/etc.
    Alvarez
    Bregman
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Dubon/Chas/Meyers/etc.
    Dubon/Chas/Meyers/etc.
    Maldanado

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Why wouldn't Hensley get more playing time at 2B? His numbers in AAA and short stint in the majors shows he may be poised to break out and mash. Is his Defense at 2B that bad? I would hope Hensley would get at least 60% of the starts at 2B. Replace Dubon with him and the bottom of the lineup doesn't look as bad anymore.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lots of speculation he won't play 2B when we have a ground ball pitcher starting. Dubon is the better 2B and if so, Dusty probably opts for more defense.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Mixing a bad hitter in with the good hitters at the top is the worst mistake you can make in lineup construction.

The only thing that is truly important when building a lineup is making sure your good hitters get as many AB's as possible. If you insist on trying to give one of them protection then hit them 9th in front of the good hitters.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

AB's matter but it wouldn't surprise me if Dusty went with the hot hand in the two hole. That could be any of the utility players. All of this changes when Altuve and/or Brantley comes back of course.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I feel like moving a bad hitter up to the 2 hole would just end up neutralizing your leadoff guy. They would never get any good pitches to hit and if that is someone like Pena then his production would really suffer. Plus fewer people on base for your best hitters.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dusty is gonna do what Dusty is gonna do (until the postseason or close to it).

Wulaw Horn and Rockets FTW like this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

That's really a weak bottom half of the lineup with Altuve and Brantley out. Be nice if one or two of those guys (Dubon, Chas, Meyers, Hensley and Maldonado) surprises and is a .270 hitter. I fear it's much more likely Maldy will be a .150 hitter.

Need Alvarez to stay in the lineup. If he sees significant time on the IL, this year could be a struggle to make the playoffs.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It is very weak at the bottom and could be one of those years where we aren't completely healthy. One guy in and one guy out type of year. We just need to lock in the division and get healthy at the right time. Imagine where the Astros would be without Jose Abreu...

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yainer has a career .321 BA in the minors. Could do worse for a two hitter.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'm in 100% if Dusty tries this.