1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am not saying Sengun is at the same level as Bam; they aren't even on the same planet defensively. What I am saying is that even someone like Bam would struggle more often than not against an elite guards and wings running a PnR, because 1) that's how deadly a weapon PnR is for elite guards/wings and 2) defense is a team effort. People using Sengun being hunted and exploited by the PnR don't seem to realize this and how it applies to virtually all bigs and even the best of the best will still struggle at times.

2. maypk

maypk Member

Nope. You mentioned Lionel Hollins when you were pointed out that Sengun is in fact one of the better defenders in the team.

That's how bad the Rockets are defensively. Sengun is a horrible defensive player as of now and he's still on the better side in the team.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I can agree with that. It is not all Sengun, but this is his thread....so.....

DD

maj21 likes this.
  4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I honestly think Christopher is the worst defender on the team. He plays defense like a 5th grader.

HardenReturns likes this.
  5. maypk

maypk Member

It's really difficult to call out one player imo. They all play terrible defense as a unit. They are so young, dumb and on top of that they are horribly coached.

6. maypk

maypk Member

Fair enough. I expect nothing less from you on other threads as well then...

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You should know enough about that not to have to ask...lol
    DD

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No he's not lol. He's the worst defender which is why he's constantly targeted by teams. Sengun is atrocious on defense and it's obvious. Jake Valanciunas looked like Embiid playing against Sengun

maj21 and scola88 like this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. Teams aren't targeting Christopher, they're targeting Sengun. A 5th grader would know this

maj21 and scola88 like this.
  10. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Sengun's issues are what they are defensively, but we'll never really know unless he has a competent team defense to play in. Guys get blown by without so much as a crossover sometimes. I vividly remember Jabari getting dunked on by Dame because he just did a slight hesi and blew by Jaygup. That happens like 15-20 times a game where the primary defender makes no effort, and now we're in a scramble situation without a serious rim protector, and after maybe one guy helps, that's the end of the rotations. It's just bad all around and really hard to evaluate anyone defensively.

11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This is another lazy excuse. Defense is 95% about effort. The BENEFIT of playing with a rebuilding team is that you get to play through mistakes, but Sengun wouldn't get playing time on a winning team. He'd actually be held accountable which would hurt your feelings even more

maj21 likes this.
  12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Of course they don't target Christopher. He has the exact opposite problem as Sengun. If the game was 1v1 JC would be a great defender. His problem is that he'll always leave his man wide open to chase the ball. Hence, 5th grader where their idea of defense is just to swarm the ballhandler at all times. The guy that Christopher is supposed to be guarding is always wide open from 3 because he's always going for doubles or steals or doing something stupid.

13. maypk

maypk Member

You do know that Immanuel Quickley dropped 40 on KPJ's head on 18 shots the day before yesterday, yeah? That's literally the theme of the season. Opposing guards having career nights against KPJ.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep things in perspective and away from the trolls and OnlyFans looking to pin Rockets against each other. Remember that some of these accounts were also attacking Motiejunas, which is very curious indeed. It’s the sort of anti-foreign crowd that gets triggered by a country supporting its player. We saw a ton of anti-Yao, anti-Lin, anti-VSpan, anti-everything posters. Mostly just reactionary troll accounts. Just pop on ignore. :)

A 20-year-old C is a tough thing to be in the NBA. Alperen is having one of the most promising 20-year-old C seasons of all time. Fact.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s very odd to suggest that KPJ or JG of all people can defend. As a huge fan of both, come on now… They are in the bottom 25% of guard defenders. And that is okay and to be expected at this stage.

HardenReturns likes this.
  16. maypk

maypk Member

Honestly, there are lots of posters who are irritated by SOFs and i think they all have legitimate reasons for that. I'd feel the same way about player only fans on my favorite team's forum so that's completely fine. And tbh majority of the Rockets fans in here can seperate the player from his fans on their evaluation of the player. I'll just take your advice and put those who don't have that awareness on my ignore list. :)

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

yup, just supporting their players…

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

interesting I just received this from a poster who just joined this past Friday…

Attached Files:

anthony59237 and scola88 like this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

that must be ledakota aka eurobasket23 aka scola88. I received similar stuff in Turkish. It is who the poster is. Making a whole sofs are this and that over this type of posters is problematic. It was the same with Hakeem94. People did not like his posts and pretend that all sofs are like him. I don’t think all posters here are like maj or rocket champs. You can do it too.

Easy, harold bingo, RudyTBag and 3 others like this.
  19. maypk

maypk Member

He's mentally disabled. We "The SOFs" get similar messages from him as well.

scola88 likes this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

yep, but Sengun fans rock with clowns like this..