1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I get it. Im thirsty too. We dont know if DeMeco will be a good game manager yet, but we're giving him the benefit of the doubt. I wish my kool aid was a little stronger I guess because you're hoping that guys like Perryman and Littleton can resume an upward trajectory when they've been JAGS for the last few years. This run defense was HISTORICALLY bad last year and you think they will be a top 15 overall unit this year? I'd be happy if they could keep teams under 5 yards per carry!

Vegas has a knack for being close on these predictions with not many outliers if you go back a few years and compare. I dont think this coming season will be any different just my opinion on the matter - like I said even winning 5 games next season would be a HUGE positive impact, but it should also keep you in the hunt for QBs in the next draft that would EASILY go #1 this season.

raining threes likes this.
  2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

No more Aaron Rodgers. They probably giving the Bears an additional 2 wins vs the Packers they wouldn’t have gotten otherwise.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Schedules change, like, daily - but, yeah - on paper at least, the 2023 schedule does not look difficult at all. The Texans will play 7 games against teams that are (or would be) picking in the draft's top 10 + two more against the Titans, who are picking 11th, and one against the Browns (who would be picking 12th).

I always think it's much easier to focus on the QBs when looking at schedules... They'll face Lawrence twice, Burrow, Rodgers & Watson (who I expect to be better). Those are tough match-ups. The Ravens are on the schedule but...

Other than that... Russell Wilson and Derrick Carr and then a whole lot of mediocre QBs and/or questions marks: Kyler, Tannehill, Tannehill again, (Bucs?), (Steelers?), (Colts?), (Colts, again?), (Falcons?), (Panthers?)...

That's 11 games - possibly 12, depending on how things work out in Baltimore - against very beatable QBs.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What the over/unders don’t account for is teams actively tanking… we couldn’t even secure top pick this year with clearly the worst team.

also, agree on Littleton, but Perryman JAG?? He was a pro bowler who got hurt. All things considered he immediately becomes one of the top talents on this defense. I thought he was a great get.

UTSA2step likes this.
  6. raining threes

David Culley did a much better job than most give him credit for.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Texans had to the lowest over under before the season started and still got the under.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. I think DeMeco is a much better candidate taking over a MUCH better situation so don’t think a 2-4 win improvement would be a huge surprise. Time will tell.

ROXRAN and raining threes like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

As I sit here today.

I am actually very impressed with the job Nick Caserio has done.

Say what you want about the Deshaun Watson trade, but we had little leverage with the situation and he got the organization a bag while the player was dealing with an extensive sexual assault allegation on top of wanting to be traded.

Delivered the franchise out of Cap Hell.

Brought the Texans the best coaching hire of the 2023 offseason and is less than two months away from drafting our franchise QB.

A freaking Plus so far Nick.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

In Caserio we trust

13. Fantasma Negro

That's going to be insane

14. Hey Now!

Appreciate your perspective - but can't get there, personally. While the Watson trade was, in or out of the circumstances, a good one... it was blindingly apparent the allegations were not in any way an issue - at least with enough teams that Caserio had a ripe market. And so, in the end, Caserio was trading a highly-coveted 25-yo franchise QB.... I simply can't give him *too* much credit for landing a boatload of picks - any GM with a double-digit IQ could have - and would have - done the same.

I feel the same way about the salary cap. Caserio didn't inherit tough, expensive choices. He was given a roster almost entirely bereft of talent and was given years to essentially bleed the dead money. I'm glad he did it - but, again, virtually any other GM would have done the same.

The Ryans hire has re-invigorated my enthusiasm for the team, yes. But it was needed because Caserio's hiring of Culley and Lovie nearly snuffed out my enthusiasm permanently. Third time's the charm, and all - but his first two coaching hires were abject messes at virtually every step.

Lastly, in terms of drafting a franchise QB - it's not something he "earned" and I care far more about getting the *right* franchise QB than just merely drafting one. He better get it right. The rest of his personnel decisions have largely been mediocre.

This is his 3rd offseason? And other than Pierce (playing perhaps the least-essential position, in terms of building a roster), he hasn't acquired a single player that would rank among the 10-20 best at their position. And if Stingley & Green don't make leaps this year, those two picks - especially Stingley-over-Gardner - will haunt Caserio.

I'm still hoping DeMeco eventually runs him off and gets his guy in place.

#1534 Hey Now!, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    vince likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Every thread involving Stingly mentions 'Sauce' Garner. If you judge a GM using 2020 hindsight, few will look good.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If two CBs are of similar talent why would you take the oft injured one? That’s not hindsight.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If they saw more potential upside as well as similar floors?

18. Hey Now!

I don't generally like the hindsight card when it comes to draft picks; it's not a science and being "wrong" might be a function of factors beyond the GM's control.

But Stingley and Sauce is different, IMO, because the contrast between the two was always present. They seemed to embody different philosophical approaches. Stingley felt like a "smartest guy in the room" pick, a GM wanting to pat himself on the back for unearthing a diamond in the rough. Like the idea of taking Richardson over CJ or Young. Stop trying to impress us; just get the f'ing pick right.

Which is not to suggest Stingley was a reach - but his prospects and projections were far less known because of his injuries. Caserio invested in a ceiling *he* saw at the expense of a player most agreed was day-1 ready with very few question marks. It was like he was trying to exert his bona-fides as a GM. Hopefully, it works out. But it hasn't so far.

19. vince

vince Member

I agree with you, looking at the injury history is relevant. I hate to say it, because I know it almost sounds mean, but some fellas are made of glass. I think we are wishfully hoping that is not Stingley forte, that of being Mr. Glass.

Stingley is solid potential, but Sauce is already a pro bowler.

Hey Now! likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Using you own examples, you are judging Stingley like a year one Richardson vs a Year one Bryce Young. And in both situations, the GM was giving the longer term outlook priority. It doesn't make him right or wrong. It's just premature to make the evaluation.

I would simply suggest the appropriate time to judge is when cut or at the end of the rookie contract, whatever it's length.