1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What is your prediction?

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually not really the Biden admin...if you read the article

"The FTC has been investigating the internet titan on multiple fronts dating at least back to 2019..." That was before Biden became president.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

Yes that wasn't the big complaint. Trump wasnt focusing on section 5. Ftc is on the verge of attempting to break up amazon from its retail business. At a minimum they want to split up amazon retail business and their cloud/enterprise business. Amazon has 6 different investigations from the doj/ftc and 4 of them have started under biden.

I've said this many times that trump had better antitrust policies than Obama. Obama was the absolute worst.

Johnathan kanter at the doj said they're releasing their merger guidelines in next month. Those guidelines will lay out what mergers and what acquisitions will be permissible under the law. Whatever mergers that have been green lit in the past that don't fall in those guidelines they'll try to break then up.

Ticketmaster and amazon will be the big cases for the doj. They also spoke about reversing the whatsapp and meta merger.

**** is about to get real

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the whole anti-trust game is a joke now. If we want to talk about trusts that are damaging, go after corporations buying media companies. That should never happen. Amazon should not be owning media companies. Nor should GE, Comcast, and AT&T.

Andre0087 and Space Ghost like this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

Anti trust is a joke now? We have more corporate consolidation in more sectors now than ever before? They've already been successful in attacking the PBMs and also the consolidation in the meat packing and cattle industry. Unrigging the economy doesn't happen over nigh.

They've already stopped corporate mergers by over 60% last year alone. What exactly is a joke? There's monopoly issues in almost every sector of the economy.

You just mentioned one. You do realize because lina khan targeted the insulin cartel thats the only reason insulin prices were cut right ?

Anti trust solves everything

#3185 astros123, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

This FTC is literally hands down the best ftc we've ever had in over 70 years. There's no ifs buts about it. @Space Ghost this is what being a libertarian is about. Having the government make life easier for ordinary folks.

"Inflation"

@Sweet Lou 4 2 I don't think you realize how much concentration there is in food packing, poultry, chicken cartel, pork, etc. This is what happens when you allow merger after merger to happen.

We've had no anti trust enforcement for over 50 years in this country. The economy is rigged.

#3186 astros123, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Two entities were coming out with insulin to be sold at cost, a non-profit Civica Rx will provide insulin for no more than $30 a vial | CNN Politics and the State of California. I would guess that had something to do with it.

tinman likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

You don't understand the work that's going on behind the scenes. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and PBMs are ******** their pants right now. They're scared of being broken up and are cutting prices left and right

adoo and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. astros123

astros123 Member

Are you seriously mentally okay? Are you this bored that you're searching for old biden videos? You need mental help

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If those are the options, I'd rather they were broken up. Placating regulators with low prices while you wait for a friendlier Administration isn't beneficial to consumers.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Fentanyl and the epidemic really are not the fault of any President, if any thing it is the result of insufficient government power to address the private market, and I suppose lax borders that now let it to poor in from China and Mexico. So there is blame to go around to both parties.

Really, when Trump took office there were 10,000 death's a year from fentanyl, by the time he left office there were nearly 75,000.

I could look at those numbers and blame Trump, but it isn't his fault (or Biden's either) because the death's were just catching up from addictions that started a decade earlier when drug companies and doctor's decided to prescribe legal but highly addictive pain drugs and people that would never be addicts developed addictions. When the government did act, and forced doctor's to stop prescribing them.... all those addicted to prescribed pain pills turned to the streets to get their addictions fed.... and that is why we now have over 100,000 American's dying from opioid overdoses every year.

Invisible Fan and Xopher like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I think just about everyone wants more security at the border, but it needs to not be mostly directed at Mexicans or Venezuelans crossing over on foot.

The issue is the huge tankers from China and other places, and the trucks and cars that cross-over that are packed to the gills with contraband.

There is no easy solution, there is so much coming in from over-sea's in goods and services that it is basically impossible to inspect even a small amount of stuff that comes in.

16. Nook

Nook Member

There is also a gender issue as well.

We have certain expectations for men and women and they don't always hold well when running for the highest office.

Invisible Fan, Xopher and JuanValdez like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I was a federal prosecutor for years.

Having I seen better than Harris? Sure, but the electorate is not made up of prosecutors, and compared to other politicians she is very good....... and what impresses a prosecutor isn't always what registers with other people. Some of the best procedural lawyers I have known have not really done well with juries.

Xopher likes this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

First state to officially repeal their right to work laws in the past 6 decades. Joe Biden's America = pro labor

#3198 astros123, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Nook, Xopher and gifford1967 like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's true. Barack Obama came out of nowhere who, besides serving as an unfinished one-term Senator, delivered a sexy DNC speech and an inspirational book. He was given a lot of credit and leeway throughout his ascension and first years, even steamrolling whatever accomplishments Hillary built as First Lady and respected Senator.

Kamala definitely did more as a public servant even if I don't think it's anything ground shaking.

Nook likes this.
  20. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Kamala's biggest issue is her public persona. I think to get ahead in a "man's world" women quite often have/had to be perceived as a hard ass. Whereas men can be serious, but they can also be gregarious. There is a flaw and double-standard in most people's perception. When Kamala tries to come off as funny and personable she just seems fake to me. Maybe that isn't her personality, but that doesn't mean she doesn't know what she is doing.