1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any ideas of what to expect for the roster for 2023 - 2024 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Mar 15, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Obviously, we have money to spend.
    I just hope its not on aging, pass their prime veterans.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmm.... you sure you don't mean the 1968-1969 season?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is amazing man. I started watching the team in 1992 because of a girl that kissed a few times. She liked them so I started watching because I wanted her to keep kissing me I guess haha

albuster, mikol13 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Jaylen Brown to the Rockets on draft night for 4th pick in the draft.
    Sign James Harden 4 years, 200 million.
    Porter, Tate, Sengun, Garuba, JC for Siakim

Harden / TyTy
    Green / KJM
    Brown / Eason
    Jabari /
    Siakim / Lively

don grahamleone and NewAge like this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Hire the Princeton coach.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

First of all I think Silas gets a shot and if he's on pace to win 30-something games I don't think they will fire him during the season. I think they promised him a shot at competing if he stomached the rebuild. I expect the players to listen to him a lot more because for the first time he will have a convincing argument for doing things well. It's hard to tell players "if you do things like I say, we're going to win and be competitive every game" when the reality is that was not true this season. The players will be a lot more motivated as we at least double our win total easily.

I expect us to act like we went after FA's and trade targets and struck out, then we will rent out our cap space for 2-3 first rounders. We will take back 1 or 2 year contracts only in the process. Then we will use those picks to go back into the trade market and blow someone away with a big offer like 4-5 first rounders for the first elite player under 30 that wants out. We won't really need many more picks after 2023 draft. We will be totally overloaded with youth and it's time to convert those picks into an established asset.

I expect us to address the two gigantic root flaws of this team: lack of experienced PG play and a defensive anchor. These two components are literally the worst possible things you can be missing, so you can imagine why our record is what it is right now. We're missing the fulcrum of the offense and the fulcrum of the defense. Thankfully Alpe has stepped into the playmaking role, but we need a legit PG AS WELL on the floor with him so that the offense doesn't get static and we can have options depending on opponents.

The other thing I dream/hope/wish the team does is to bring on an offensive coach from Kings/Nuggets/Warriors. We need to run something similar to those offenses. Getting Wemby might change that, but I don't know of a player who wouldn't flourish in those offenses (KD did pretty damn good on the Warriors if that's Wemby's comp).

Wemby scenario:

Wemby, Harden/FVV & Hire Doug Christie or Jordi Fernandez for the offense.

Non-Wemby/Scoot scenario:

Sign FVV $30m x 4 years with only 40% guaranteed in final season and heavily incentivized bonuses for making playoffs and games played. That would mean when Green/Sengun's extensions kick in, Van Vleet will only have 2 years and $60m remaining on his contract (salaries are predicted to increase anyway) and the final season is partially guaranteed. Shouldn't be hard to move that contract with a 1 pick or two or 5 attached in order to upgrade or if we just wanted to go a different direction.

Sign Biyombo or Zeller to a reasonable two year deal. Just want someone who has some experience anchoring a playoff defense being around Alpi and Garuba. Maybe add a DeAndre Jordan and never play him but at least just guidance for the kids, he has anchored some excellent defenses in the past.

Hire Doug Christie or Jordi Fernandez for the offense.

If Silas gets fired, please go for Kenny Atkinson. He was great at building the Nets a disciplined team from scratch and has been on the Warriors staff for a while now. We need that offense in our lives.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Forgot that Morey actually drafted Dillon Brooks and traded him to Memphis.

Melton at least played some games.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Latest views on what I personally would have on our Team for 2023 - 2024 Seasom.
    STARTERS
    PG Harden
    SG GREEN
    SF MARTIN
    PF WEMBAYAMA
    C SMITH

BACK UP PLAYERS
    Christopher
    Murray
    Reaves
    Easton
    Hachimura////// Y

harold bingo likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I need some Garuba in there otherwise I can dig it.

10. fattz

fattz Member

New coach

trade #2 to Orlando for #5 & #9
    Draft
    #5 Walker
    #9 Black

trade
    -Porter (new role want fit him — he is the head honcho after all)
    -Martin (thank you for your service but don’t want to pay him)
    -Garuba (has to much value for his role on this roster — my favorite player on the team)
    -#19 (don’t need another young player from placement in the draft at this moment)
    …for…
    future picks

Switchable Defense that covers up Green & Sengun —> everyone less both of them are 2 way players.

Black (Everything Green needs to be successful)
    Green (now or never)
    Tate (glue guy)
    Walker (secondary all-star)
    Smith (the role he wants)
    WITH Sengun in a 6th man role with starter’s minutes (the offense flowing through him is a change of pace for the game making it even more efficient)

Black/Washington
    Green/Christopher
    Tate/Eason
    Walker/Smith/Eason
    Smith/Sengun

groovemachine likes this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m gonna act like we don’t get Harden

I would draft Miller over Scoot. I can’t imagine having Henderson, Tari, and Sengun all starting trying to shoot. KPJ would have to move to SF

KPJ/Veteran/Tyty
    Green/Veteran sharp shooter
    Miller/Cam Johnson
    Bari/Tari
    Sengun/Garuba

I think Nix exposes KPJ ain’t that bad and if we had a respectable point vet off the bench we’d probably have 30 wins with how close we kept games in the beginning of the year

I would trade KMJ, Tate, Christopher to clear minutes and for Conleys 20 million expiring and give out a couple 2-3 year contracts to guys like cam Johnson to come off the bench

Simple & realistic

If KPJ can’t make it happen with a competitive team with shooters and vets on the bench next season then I would trade his contract and go sign a real point guard since Conleys 20million expiring will be off the books as well. Pretty sure that’s like $30+ million to sign with

#31 PatBev, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We have at least a big 2 (Sengun and Green), possibly a big 4 (with our core of Sengun, Green, Jabari, Tari).
    • Sengun can be Senhub, our franchise player
    • Green definitely has TONS of scoring potential, could end up leading the league in scoring in a few years - could be our other franchise player. No need to argue about who of the two is "the man", they can BOTH be "the man". I think Green will always score more, Sengun will help him score more!
    • If Jabari can consistently play like he did over his recent good stretch, look out! Big Shot Bari!
    • Tari can lead the league in hustle stats like Kirilenko did.
    • Garuba, KMJ, TyTy, Tate, JC have potential to be a strong bench
    Silas/his guys and toxic players need to be cut out. We need a culture change towards accountability and focus on winning. And we need a commitment to playing like Denver and Sacramento. It turned both of their franchises into winning franchises, after many years of sucking.
    1. Say goodbye to Silas/his clique, KPJ, Nix
    2. Add a great coach/coaching staff,
    3. Either add a great pick (ideally Wemby, otherwise perhaps Jarace Walker or BPA) or trade the picks with KPJ/Nix and filler to get someone like Myles Turner to back up the PF/C position
    4. Add the best possible FA (Harden, I think)
    5. Contend for the title for years to come!
    Harden
    Green
    Jabari
    Wemby
    Senhub

Tari (30+ min)
    KMJ
    [whomever @Medicine N Music says we should pick with the Clips pick]
    Garuba
    TyTy
    Tate

P.S.: If we cannot get Harden, get Tyus Jones. If we cannot get Wemby, get the best 3-point shooter in the draft and a big backup C.

#32 AroundTheWorld, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Good plan, we actually have to spend a bunch in free agency to meet the minimum salary cap. How would you spend that money?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There is literally no way the Rockets go into next season with a lineup of average age of 20.0 and starting 2 rookies with hopes of winning 25-30 games at most - it will simply not happen.

There's 2 rookies who can start for the Rockets next year. Scoot and Wemby. Maybe 3 if you count Miller.

That's it.

I tend to agree with Clutch,Iko, eveybody, who has said, if it's not Scoot or Wemby, the Rockets are adding a veteran and trying to win now. This tracks with all the public comments.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If it's Scoot or Wemby, they will also add one or two veterans and try to win now.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Technically you do not have to meet the salary floor.

In the case that you do not, the difference is split amongst the players on your roster.

groovemachine likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

Take on bad contracts for draft capital or quality younger players.

18. albuster

albuster Member

They come from a place called Kokomo...

19. fattz

fattz Member

I truly believe we would be more than competitive in two seasons with this mix of players a long with a real coach. Everyone on the propose team can play both ways less Green (new role top 10 in scoring) and Sengun (new role best 6th man maybe ever).
    -Everyone had purpose and room to grow. Hide and watch; Walker & Black will be the two best players out of this draft. Both of these kids play defense first but have more to offer on the offense end.
    -We need for other players to stop having career highs against us. Being able to play multiple types of different defenses. With size and speed will help this.
    -Sengun needs a well defined role and playing time where we just out score the other team (their second unit).

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I've been saying we should have been doing this for a while now. We didn't have to wait for cap space we could have just traded for players with longer contracts in exchange for draft picks. And, your idea makes since if a big name like Jaylen Brown becomes available.

But, I think you could shortcut the whole process and trade the Nets their 24/25 picks back in exchange for Bridges and eat Ben Simmons' contract. The Nets get cap space and their picks. We get a foundational 2 way player that can play alongside anyone.

My ideal next year involves us getting a really good young player and just continuing to rebuild. Just ignore the sunk cost of those picks we owe OKC.

Mathloom likes this.