1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Advanced Stats?

By ESPN's RPM Austin Reaves is the 233rd best player in the NBA this year.

By EPM (tested as the best all-in-one stat currently publicly available) Austin Reaves is the 149th best player in the NBA this year.

By DPM (NBA exec survey winner as the most trusted all-in-one stat) Austin Reaves is the 157th best player in the NBA this year.

Or is it your eye test telling you Austin Reaves is a $25M/yr player?

2. sogood.

sogood. Member

bruh don't give me that ESPN crap. According to that Jokic is a HOF defender.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/reaveau01.html

Now use these real advanced stats and compare him to Sexton who you think is better.

Spoolxx likes this.
  3. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

LOL. BBRef advanced stats are the ones from 2008. But OK.

PER: 121st
    WS: 102nd
    BPM: 95th
    VORP: 113th

You want to give this profile $25M/yr? He's in the same class as Sexton, Isaiah Joe, KJ Martin... solid bench players, not starters. And at least those guys are young.

highpost1388 likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Reaves' numbers have increased since Lebron was injured, which is unexpected from a bench player. He's scored efficiently even when both Lebron and AD are out. His style is a bit like Ginobili's in that he's crafty finisher and offball playmaker. No, I'm not comparing his talent level to Manu's, just comparing them stylistically because they both play 100% when they're on the floor and hustle.

I wouldn't pursue Reaves because that's a huge risk for a player whose style seems best suited off the bench. We took that chance once with Lin and it didn't work out. This offseason is so much more important than that 2012 offseason. We can't afford to take risks with our capspace on unproven players.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Just watch his highlights and imagine him in a Rockets uniform getting treated the way all Rockets players get treated. Do you see success? I don't. I do see a waste of 80 million dollars over 4 years though.

Other teams don't body him up, they let him move freely, they play against him like the whistle is about to be blown, and when he does try for contact, the whistle is there for him. He's not getting those calls against the teams we need to beat in order to make it to the top 6 seeds grouping next year. Teams will be overly physical with him in Houston. He's not a physical player.

We need players that can get us into the playoffs, play through bad calls, can use might to overcome the lack of whistles, that has the tendency to find creative ways to get someone to the open rim. Austin Reaves and his Lakers' referee squad are still struggling to beat the bottom tier teams. He's also not carrying his team forward into the playoffs. We need players that are carrying squads forward to the playoffs, not an 80 million dollar placeholder for an actual winner.

Lakers trash isn't Kyle Lowry. Not this year it isn't. They're pedestrian without their main guys on the court, so what's the proof that Reaves is a difference maker? That he went to OU?

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s a solid player but I think we should focus on good defenders.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why not Harrison Barnes instead if we want a vet and he's willing to take a 3-year deal? He's a better fit, especially if we sign Harden or draft a point guard. We don't need another shooting guard, we already have two of them.

8. ilias

ilias Member

Pass. He is a SG, we have Green, so don’t need Reaves. Too small to be a starting SF, not a good enough playmaker to be a PG. $10m+ for an unproven bench guy is unnecessary risk.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. That's Ryan Anderson type money!

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

This is the most Jeremy Lin idea since Jeremy Lin.

11. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

It doesn’t seem like you watch Austin Reaves at all just off the fact that you referenced highlights and somehow fault him for them not winning games when he makes like 2M a year lol. The reason they’re even competing is because of him which says a lot about Anthony Davis. He’s also a very good playmaker and very crafty and finds the open man a lot.

jerryclark likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I lol’ed probably harder than I should have. He’d be a great bargain if we needed role players. Unless we are getting Harden, I don’t think he’s the type of veteran role player I envision impacting this team’s development.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  13. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

He would be our best player

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No

highpost1388 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

He's basically mimicking Tate's career. Joined the NBA at a later age. This is probably the best he'll be as a player.

Kevooooo likes this.
  16. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

unironically yes

17. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

tate is a 20% shooter and hes one of our best players

18. fchowd0311

Unironically no.

Do you want to see how a player like that tried to generate offense when his teammates run the wrong direction in a clear out or designed okay?

Do you watch Rocket games and see how off ball players are like headless chickens trapped in no many zones significantly decreasing the spacing on a half court set? You know how many times a off ball player ran into a ball handler because they didn't know where they were supposed to be?

Reeves has not experienced suffering my man. He hasn't experienced playing in a utter disaster of a half court offensive system.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well If folks want to pay him 20-25 mil for the man, he better be best on the team. Will he? Prob not and It's a huge gamble.

I wouldn't go for it especially if the pg position isn't addressed.

20. fchowd0311

Unironically no.

Do you want to see how a player like that tried to generate offense when his teammates run the wrong direction in a clear out or designed okay?

Do you watch Rocket games and see how off ball players are like headless chickens trapped in no many zones significantly decreasing the spacing on a half court set? You know how many times a off ball player ran into a ball handler because they didn't know where they were supposed to be?

Reeves has not experienced suffering my man. He hasn't experienced playing in a utter disaster of a half court offensive system.
    Tate is a significant part of the problem with our half court offense having zero spacing and having the entire paint area packed. Hence why he has a horrible offensive rating relative to the starters on the team like Green, KPJ and Sengun.