1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. raining threes

Kiper?

BTW, I dont like Levis and I'm not a Kiper fan.

2. raining threes

Look at 2021 tape if you want to get a good look at what Levis is,

3. raining threes

This is where I'm at. Anderson would be my guy.

Maybe Hooker at 2-33.

mikol13 and CVcrew like this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Tua was literally an MVP candidate until he was injured. I know that falls into your durability concerns, but you said “if happens to stay healthy” and in the MVP running is very worth at 1.2 pick in my opinion…

Two Sandwiches and Fulgore like this.
  5. raining threes

You're correct, he was having a tip 5 QB type year. This just goes to show you the value of a supporting cast. Tua is a slightly above avg type talent. IMHO

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would argue Texans draft history, aside from the David Carr pick in year 1, is the exact opposite of an attempt to "make the casual happy."

I see draft parties with folks getting booed...people said for years they prioritized defense over offense way too often...the ultimate example is taking Mario Williams ahead of VY and Reggie Bush (which sounds a whole lot like the "big boy move" you're alluding to)...that until Watson, they never made a splashy move in a draft. I don't really get the notion that the Texans have ever assembled some team of guys that the casual fans will know and love at first blush. Fans booed J.J. Watt on draft day.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Rudyc281, Sooty and houstonstime like this.
  8. MadMax

Man, I’d love to be as confident in my opinions as y’all are about these guys lol.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah that was a trash take. The Texans have gotten a lot wrong over the years but it isn't because they try to make the casuals happy.

Blatz and MadMax like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

I just get this sense that he's the real deal. He also fits perfectly with this franchise and what we're trying to do. I've followed him through college. I've watched a ton of his tape, and other QBs through the years. I could be really wrong though.

MadMax likes this.
  11. MadMax

I wasn’t picking on you. I just have thought for sure that about guys before and been so wrong…and more importantly the guys who make the decisions and then spend millions on their choices are wrong all the time. I like Bryce a lot as a person from what I can tell about him so far…I’m good with them taking him…and then I’ll definitely hope you’re right!!! :)

whag00 and red5rocket like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Oh, I get it.

I've definitely been wrong before.

I also think that I have high hopes, as I've been high on Young for two years, and typically when we have a high pick, there aren't highly thought of QBs available.

MadMax likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

In what way does he fit the franchise and what we’re trying to do?

14. Two Sandwiches

Very high character, hard working leader, who leans on his faith. Happens to be a very good fit for a Shanahan type offense.

He's tailor-made to be the face of a franchise.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I can see that for sure

16. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

You nailed Mahomes in 2017 lol

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

By all accounts Watson was a high character guy. I think the hype on Bryce’s character is real, but I wouldn’t make that a big deciding factor. It’s still all about whether you think he gets injured early and often for me. He definitely has all the other attributes of a great QB. I’m resigned that the Texans will take Bryce or Stroud at 1.2. If it’s Bryce and we don’t get a center it could be a catastrophe with Bryce. I would wait until draft day and if Carolina takes Bryce I would take Stroud if not I would trade back with Colts and draft Tyree or Anderson if Cards trade back too. I think Richardson or Levis are going to be pretty good.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

True. I did offer this quote on today's date, in Mahomes's draft year:

But I also liked Hackenberg and Kizer.

It's too bad we missed him by two picks, and we missed out on TJ. We'd have multiple Super Bowls by now.

Edit: just wanted to add that I feel the same way about Bryce Young as I felt about Mahomes.

#1279 Two Sandwiches, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  19. Housport

Housport Member

Of the four top quarterbacks in this year's draft I have major concerns about Young's durability and size the most. Young has the ability to improvise and create extra time for his receiver's similar to Mahomes but that is where the comparison ends I would think that Johnny Manziel would be a better comparison for Young. Similar body and athletic ability. Similar arm strength. It's just that Young will have a better chance in the NFL due to his maturity and character.

I have seen a lot of comparisons of Anthony Richardson to Lamar Jackson. Anthony has an incredible arm and athletic ability and I agree that he could develop and have a career similar to Lamar Jackson. But I believe a far more likely projection of his career is similar to Logan Thomas. Logan had an absolute cannon and the ability to make plays with his legs. But they both missed too many easy passes. Gave up too many interceptions. Late on passes and reads.

CJ Stroud is the toughest QB in the draft to evaluate. How good is CJ vs how good were his receivers and offensive line? CJ had consistently clean pockets and was rarely in duress. On top of that he was surrounded by elite college receivers. The playbook at Ohio was really repetitive and simple. CJ looks like a natural passer and has a great arm. CJ has the ability to be the next Warren Moon but he looks more like the next Jared Goff.

Will Levis has elite arm strength, good mobility and has been working under center which NFL teams will like. Will helped a Kentucky team become relevant in the SEC against much more talented teams. Interceptions and accuracy issues were areas of struggle for Will at his two seasons starting for Kentucky. For Will, I can see the comparisons to Josh Allen but I believe a much more reasonable comparison would be Jake Locker.

In this draft, I don't see any elite QB prospects, but I do see quarterbacks that could develop into very good players.