1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump expects to be arrested next week

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 18, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

"Right before an election" = 19 months out. I keep telling yall that all these right wingers like @basso are MAGA.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. Xopher

Xopher Member

Georgia is going to do a pre-emptive strike on Monday...LOL

JuanValdez and astros123 like this.
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

War!!!!!! ! !!!!! Just kidding , I’m sure any protests will be fiery but mostly peaceful

4. Xopher

Xopher Member

Georgia is going to do a pre-emptive strike on Monday...LOL
    He knows how his supporters protest. Hs would have been better off saying "Protest Peacefully"

astros123 likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Is he truly even the leading candidate? His candidacy seems mostly like everyone's drunk uncle who goes on incessantly about his next money making scheme at every holiday family get together...

MadMax likes this.
  7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if the mooted charges are accurate, then it's an exceedingly low threshold for a former president.

democrats would be wise to heed Cocaine Mitch's warning about the filibuster.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I’m watching CNN and even that left-leaning news network is even admitting there’s some questions about the timing, the delicate actual crime burden of proof, etc,…It will be an interesting next week that’s for sure

Nook likes this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s always right before an election cycle if it negatively impacts republicans.

But it doesn’t matter. The court system, the laws, the facts, and apparently all of the Fox News anchors text messages all have a liberal bias.

Trump is not guilty until Trump says he’s guilty. Wake up sheeple.

10. Two Sandwiches

I think everyone agrees on that, for sure.

It's definitely going to set a legal precedent, which is probably a bad thing for the country in general. It's even worse for Trump, though.

Nook likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what threshold should there be for committing a crime?

Conservatives have spoken about the dangers of tolerating low level lawlessness. Of letting things like broken windows and shoplifting go. We’ve seen how often people criticize “lawless cities” like SF and Chicago for allowing such things yet they’re saying we should just tolerate this when it comes to their leaders and those on Jan. 6. They are painting it as some petty vandalism and Trump’s use of campaign finance money to pay off a personal failing as just being something minor that should be accepted.

Nook, astros123, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Of course. The evidence though is that Trump signed the check that Michael Cohen have to Stormy Daniels and he went to jail for it. Trump is coconspirator #1. That’s very compelling evidence already.

astros123 likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

I'm assuming they'll be in NYC.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think showing that even former presidents are held to account will be a good precedent for the country.

astros123 likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

I agree with that, but I also think that both parties are trying to weaponize everything they can against each other, which is why I say it could be bad for the country.

I hope Trump gets what is coming to him, though.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Don’t commit a crime and you won’t get arrested. Unlike our “conservative” posters here, I respect the law.

astros123, Andre0087 and dobro1229 like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

People have already weaponized accusations of criminality already. What matters is if there is evidence and can a crime be proven. That’s why I personally supported a special investigator to look into Biden’s holding of classified documents. It looks like that was an honest mistake but if we believe in the principle then it should at least be investigated.

astros123 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right. The issue is that Cohen committed a crime on someone’s behalf and he went to jail while the person that actually ordered and benefited from the crime didn’t get charged and more importantly didn’t get impeached (which is the remedy that is most appropriate for this type of blatant misdeed for an elected political figure).

So Alvin Bragg not indicting would be essentially political, and it was 110% political for SDNY to also not have indicted after Congress failed to act.

SDNY and the AG should have made it clear in the Cohen indictment that “individual 1” is not being indicted based on our reading of DOJ policy, and this individual would be subject to the impeachment mandate in the constitution while they remain in office.

The indictment should have been written in a way that makes it clear that if a Senator votes against impeachment then they are clearly violating the constitution as well potentially obstruction of Justice.

That’s the way all of this should have played out and it’s a reason why Bragg might have trouble with the jury based on the legal theory. But it’s an indictment he really has to make or else he’s essentially choosing not to indict purely for politics now that Cohen went to jail and Trump did not. If Trump is found Not Guilt, Michael Cohen I believe will have a case to make to file a lawsuit with SDNY about being wrongfully prosecuted.

JuanValdez and rocketsjudoka like this.