1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pelicans @ Rockets 3/17/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 16, 2023.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Great game. The only concern was Sengun's terrible defense. Valancinius destroyed Sengun and this is the problem Sengun's fans hide

ashleyem and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no it wont, the drives are already open for alpi, he can drive from perimeter anytime he likes whether they dare to sag off of him or guard him tight...

you're just a 3pt Culter falling for the latest basketball fad and myth that you need to be an elite 3pt shooter to space the floor when in fact alpi already spaces the floor with being an elite dribble drive penetrator...

teams that leave him open at 3 will be punished because if they give him headstart hes at the rim in 2 dribbles and spin...and if the help comes he is passing either for a dunk or a wide open 3

so they either gonna guard him tight in which case he is spacing the floor and still driving by his man or gonna leave him open in which case his drives are even easier

The 3 pt King has no clothes and 3pt Church is broke!

keep worshiping them tho if it makes you happy...

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and the same goes for every other draft...all these guys have talent...the differences in their talent are really minuscule....it's just a matter of opportunity(AKA PLAYING TIME plus longer leash) ,work ethics and plain old luck...

rockets fans knows this best because we see with sengun, tari, jabari and green they all have talent and lower picks can be even more talented because

GMs are under pressure to select the most hyped guys with higher picks not the best ones...

because if jalen green is a bust there is an built in excuse for GM well he was the top of the board on anyones draftboard

and if there was a talented superstar at everyones elses draftboard available at 18 (because he was not hyped), he not gonna take him with pick no 3 because GM still have an inbuilt excuse well 14 other teams passed up on him and nobody thought at the time he was real good

OTH
    GM will get 100% fired if he doesn't draft the most hyped guys and his 'not hyped' guy who he took with his top pick is struggling,(and they all struggle sometimes as we know) let alone if he busts...

all in all, this all just goes to prove where you pick is irrelevant and inferior to who you pick and do you know how to develop....ie do you know basketball, if not then no pick in the world will help....

DeBeards likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

I’d say keep the blue compaq center looking jerseys and throw the other jerseys in the trash. Unless they bring out the one and only red and yellow ones.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Bro you want to sacrifice development of the players on the team for a slight increase in odds for a 5th pick vs a 6th or 7th pick?

Really?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt even you could gauge how much development was going to happen before the season when a certain group was calling for 30+ automatic wins.

It is not within our control but losing at the end of a season can be controlled..

By shutting down your starters.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

WOWWWWWWwwwwwwww just caught the replay. I don't want to ruin the tank now but I won't complain about hard fought victories.

I'm really happy for Jabari, he needed this turn around big time.

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

There is no tank. It is called rebuild

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Since the All-Star Break

Jabari Smith Jnr
    12 games
    14.6 Ppg
    7.5 Rpg
    1.6 Apg
    46.8 percent shooting
    35.2 percent from three

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Are you joking?

Of ****ing course.

These meaningless feel good wins at the cost of potentially losing the opportunity of long term talent?

This is a no brainer.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I watched it a second time because I missed a bit in the middle while cooking. It was worth it. The Jonas V/Alperen S skirmish was good stuff. We beat a team that previously had our number, big shots at the end of the game. Hardly a waste of your time. This team is in a growth spurt.

DeBeards and Deckard like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great news! I'll definitely watch it.

don grahamleone and DeBeards like this.
  13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    whoa...once upon a time, Jonas a beautiful boy, this pic reminds me Keanu Reeves in Speed.

conquistador#11 and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

You have to start progressing and showing improvement sometime. Why not now when we've essentially locked in bottom 3? If it's hurting our chances at a generational talent at all (by potentially moving us from #5 to #6 or #7 at the low end) then it's very marginal in terms of lost expected value.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. larsv8

Why not 12 games from now?

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe it helps our free agent recruiting in the offseason to not be the worst team in the NBA. Maybe it's better for the young guys' mindsets as they go into hopefully some hard work over the offseason if they get a taste of winning--keep 'em hungry. Maybe it's just a better product that's more fun to watch.

I'm a fan of cold, hard calculus and team optimization as much as anyone. I think tanking was the right play for the Rockets given where the organization was at after Harden left. But there's still such thing as going too far and overthinking things when the marginal value is extremely low. The players, fans, and organizational staff are all human beings, after all. We like to win even if it doesn't mean much.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. larsv8

This does not appear to be the case.

You seem to be falling into the seductive trap of narratives.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've cooled off a little on my over-reliance on data and statistics over the years, I will admit, when humans are part of the equation. Human behavior is a funny thing in that it's inherently unstable and prone to responding to stimuli.

I still believe strongly in using evidence and data to drive important decisions. I just don't think they should always win against human emotion, nor do I think we know everything about everything (or anywhere close) to the point where we can be absolutely certain about what the data is really telling us. How much you let people's feelings sway you should just depends on the costs and potential rewards involved in the decision you're making and the level of certainty you have about what's going into your decision.

It's not so much about seeking narratives or pattern-seeking as it is saying, "yes, these actually are people we're talking about and it's okay to acknowledge that and maybe even leave a little value on the floor every now and then to cater to their feelings--just be careful about when and where you do that".

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the fundamental premise of tanking, the higher the player the better, is false...it's just a myth... a ponci scheme...only basketball(and perhaps otherwise) morons believe in it...

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont let this distract you from the fact that Alperen Sengun is 7th in NBA ( amongst players age of 24 and younger) in fouls drawn per game, only following behind:
    Doncic
    Shai
    Morant
    Zion
    Trae
    Banchero

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/misc?PerMode=PerGame&dir=A&sort=PFD
    [​IMG]