1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

World Baseball Classic Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To the players, playing for their home country is more important than the MLB. Injuries always suck, but the WBC is overall VERY good for baseball no matter who gets hurt.

eliefor3 and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Not going to lie I was very relieved Team Dominican Republic got eliminated

3. Buck Turgidson

I'm aware, all too much

#83 Buck Turgidson, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

b****ing about this tournament seems to be solely an American issue…

5. Buck Turgidson

Who is b****ing about anything?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Guess you haven’t seen the Twitter after the Diaz injury… along with a few select posts in here.

then there’s Keith olebermann… but there’s no more bridges he can burn so he no longer counts.

7. Buck Turgidson

Well...uh...no, I haven't

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe it’s just the obnoxious Mets fan base… but it’s being picked up worldwide as the “American” opinion of the WBC.

9. Buck Turgidson

Well, that sucks

We should all remember, globally, that MetFan does not represent actual American Human Beings.

mtbrays likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yankees fans chimed in as well saying how they were happy their players prioritize their “real jobs” over the “meaningless” games… but that just led to a lot of people pointing out their lack of Dominican/PR/Venezuelan players and how all the Astros WBC participants seem to be just fine and doing well…

11. Buck Turgidson

You are again correct.

NYM/NYY/BOS/PHI fans are *all* human [blank] that should not be held up as a representative of our whole species.

Japan vs Venezuela would be a fun championship.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Do Yankee fans realize this is the only chance on of their players may win something?

Nick likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re still obsessed with the Astros… “how’re they getting all their players on these teams and looking as sharp as ever??”

they’re also already panicking with all their ST injuries… that all happened away from the WBC and not while celebrating.

MadMax likes this.
  14. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I am a big fan of international tournaments in general, its special when top athletes compete for something besides money. The WBC crowds are on another level over the MLB, playoffs included. It's fun to watch but needs to have the best talent playing to make it special like the World Cup. I hope that the odd injury doesn't keep the superstars away in the future.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I gotta say, I don't care enough about the WBC to try to find a way to watch it. I've made more of an effort to watch Rockets games this season...though that could mean my mind is broken because that has been brutal this year.

I'll be happy if Astros players win the WBC. I may even watch the finals if Garcia is starting against Japan.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who's right: Sal from Queens saying that "Nobody cares about this exhibition tournament!" or half of the Japanese public, all of Puerto Rico, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic??

17. Radricky

Radricky Member

People can b**** all they want but I'm thrilled to have competitive baseball to watch right now.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m wondering if the players and/or teams have insurance for injury on their top players. I’m guessing the teams will ala Verlander.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

fairly standard. In fact Kershaw couldn’t get a policy to cover him for the WBC thus why he’s not playing.

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

As a young man with Olympic aspirations I carefully maintained my amateur status so I could compete. Returning to the "amateurs only" may participate rules for this type of competition seams like it would be a good thing to me. It is part of what made the games special then and could be again.