1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Catcher situation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vince, Jan 24, 2023.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

When Spring training began I heard a lot about Diaz's bat putting him in competition with Lee. Lee is clearly the better catcher but many here gave equal or even more weight to Diaz's offense. I disagreed because offense is not my primary interest in a catcher. This Spring Lee is still the better catcher but he has made strides toward becoming the hitter that made him a first rounder. He has out hit and out powered Diaz at the plate and I expect he will only continue to get better over time. If Diaz can adapt to the better competition he will be seeing from here on out he will still be a valuable hitter but I just do not see a place for him behind home plate in Houston. His time in Sugar Land this season would be better spent at first base. Houston needs depth there and a versatile bench bat is not a bad outcome either. The question about which one makes the 26 man roster is all but over. Next season Lee will need a back up if Maldy retires.

Nook likes this.
  2. HeyBudLetsParty

I think in the Astros perfect world scenario, next year Lee is the primary catcher thriving both ways. Diaz plays 40 games as the backup, while also playing first base and DHing

3. Radricky

Radricky Member

This is the way.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Diaz C3+?

My memory is failing me, but we had a C3 that DHed and then he never caught his final year here. but his name escapes me.

It was Gattis, but he did catch at least an inning in 2 games his final year (2018) and he might have been C2+ before.

#64 Marshall Bryant, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm quite encouraged by Lee's spring. It may not last once the season gets rolling, but it feels like he has taken a step forward after disappointing last year. I definitely think Korey growing into the starter is the best case scenario as it allows to the Astros to fill a hole on the team without having to overspend on a FA or trade away a bunch of prospects.

I don't know what happens with Diaz, but if Lee progresses then Yainier is a luxury and we can figure out where he fits.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Korey Lee may turn out to be great, but I'm hoping that the Astros don't put the emphasis on spring training at bats the way y'all are. 16 at bats in training camp is far from a meaningful sample size and many of his ABs were against minor league talent. Not sure why those are more valuable than his 446 ABs in AAA last year or his 26 major league ABs.

prospecthugger and Nook like this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Maldonado has now caught a perfect game (WBC, Puerto Rico), 2 immaculate innings, and a no hitter in the WS…in the past year, alone. Add a 2022 no hitter in NYY as well.

Just think about that. Insane.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm with you on this.

Such a small sample, vs inconsistent talent levels, and before pitchers are regular season ready.

That said, good is better than bad.

Lee was very well thought of, even getting some top 100 love this time last year.

It may be like Tucker where a poor first impression is a wake up call and he ends up meeting potential and prior expectations.

The spring numbers haven't sold me but I am more hopeful than I was a month ago.

SamCassell and Nook like this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

Maldonado has now caught a perfect game (WBC, Puerto Rico), 2 immaculate innings, and a no hitter in the WS…in the past year, alone. Add a 2022 no hitter in NYY as well.

Just think about that. Insane.

rockbox likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Vasquez caught the WS no hitter.

rockbox likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

Ah. Well strike that, but still an impressive list.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know what the future holds for the Astros catching situation, but I don't think I would read too much into what amounts to 16 at bats for Lee and 20 at bats for Diaz.

While Lee has hit really well, it isn't like Diaz has been bad, he is hitting 300 with a .550 slugging percentage.

I hope that Lee or Diaz plays well enough to start next season, but I would not assume that it is Lee's job based on what comes to one series of at bats.

Using that logic means that CJ Stubbs and Korey Lee are locked in a battle as both have hit really well.

BlindHog likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Korey Lee is trying to make the team as a backup catcher. The team is likely deciding between him and scouring veteran backups as teams try to finalize their regular season roster. If he keeps playing like this through the Spring, he's earned the job. If not, the team will have a decision to make.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not as disappointed in his season last year as most. Not really sure all the reasons, but Constellation Field plays much more like a pitcher's park (even taking elevation into question). Lee had very good roads splits and his overall numbers compare well offensively to other PCL catchers when park factors are applied. Probably not a starting catcher right now, but his non-soft skills look to like he will be a 2nd division starter, good backup quality without taking into account Spring.

For hitters in spring, I look at EV and Ks. Lee has gotten three good whacks on the ball.

Diaz is looking more and more like a backup catcher that plays almost as much if not more as a DH/1B/LF (depending on which positions he can actually play).

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I have always believed in Lee's bat and am glad to see some evidence that my expectations appear to be coming to fruition. He has always been the best defender we have at the position and I have seen no evidence that has changed. I expect Lee to secure the starting job during this season based upon his defense, hitting well is just icing on the cake. While Diaz is a good and possibly will be a very good hitter in the majors there are lots of all bat prospects that never reach their potential. I think he will replace Dubon on the bench later this season and find a more permanent home from there. Funny you should mention Stubbs. I think he will make an excellent bench catcher but my hope is that Maldy extends and takes that job for a couple of years.

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The best thing about Korey Lee, compared to Diaz - is that Lee really wants to be a catcher. Lee wants to hit and be a baseball player, but he isn't in love with catching like Lee is. As far as hitting ability is concerned, Diaz is far more gifted than Lee. However, Lee works very hard and if he can cut his strikeouts down, has a chance to be a starting catcher for awhile because of his power.

Korey Lee as a prospect reminds me of John Buck. He was dealt in the Beltran trade I believe, but he had some solid years as a catcher with the Royals and Jays and Mets (I think).

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Guessing this is meant to be "Diaz wants to hit and be a baseball player...".

I don't care too much about Diaz wanting to be a catcher or not. He wants to be a hitter, and his talents do lean in that direction. That said, it is small sample that I've seen, but I worry more about his plate discipline than his desire to be a catcher. He walked a lot in his call up, but pitchers were basically daring him to take a walk.

Nook likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Buck played 10 years in the majors. Unfortunately he was never all that good, at least according to value metrics. Never posted a fwar greater than 1.6. I am hopeful that Lee turns out better than that (I think his arm is way better than Buck’s), but Buck might be a good median outcome prediction for Lee.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I just hope somebody is trusted enough to catch 30-40% behind Maldy.

I don't feel good about making Maldy start 80+% of the games.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It has been 6 years since the last/only time Maldy started 80% of the games in a season. Even without trusting a backup, there should be no fear in Maldy starting 80%+ of games.

Bregatron likes this.