1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

ESPN's Jonathan Givony would cut KPJ, says Rockets locker room/culture is bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It is kind of not fair to compare to the past, because we are now in an extreme scorer era. Last I checked there were an amazing 6 players in the NBA scoring over 30 points a game this season. Jalen Green is 27th in the league in scoring this season, which isn't all time great stuff for a player in his second season, but still pretty damn good.

This season has been disappointing for Green, as a lot of his issues haven't gotten better. However, it hasn't been a total wash as he has shown the ability to increase usage some and he has shown the ability to get to the line - and that is a huge one. His efficiency is disappointing and his passing and defense have been less than hoped for, but I haven't seen anything this season that has made me really sour too much on him.

The player I would compare him to would be Anthony Edwards. He is slightly behind what Edwards showed his second season in the league. Edwards was more efficient and a better passer. Still, they are not that far apart. Edwards made a big leap this year, but I still don't consider him a real franchise player at this point.

When the Rockets drafted Green, I knew he was a lot more green than most scouting services claimed and that he would have some physical limitations - and he has been slightly disappointing, but he is on a terribly coached team and also, not all development is perfectly linear, so he could easily make a big leap next season - and in fairness, it isn't like the other players in his draft class have set the world on fire yet.

Deuce, King1, Roomba and 3 others like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Aware of the age and proceeds to ignore it right after. Francis has years of college experience and then when he joined the league he had a team full of vets and hofers.
    And a good coach.

Green joins the league with like barely any ge experience and a team full of youngsters plus a sht hc.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

What about hte contextual situations? How is Edward's efficiency in a much less spaced offense, like the worst spaced offense in the NBA?

Dropping your ts% by 1 while adding 5 more ppg with being the center of defensive attention in the worst spaced offense in the NBA is an overall improvement. Last season's roster was also better with more spacing Jabari is a big downgrade compared to Wood as of now.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

As I said, I don't think it is black or white overall but I expected some improvement in his efficiency. Some of that can be that improvement isn't linear and some of that can be that he has a poor coach and undisciplined players around him.

I think his long term impact is sort of in a holding pattern, there have been good things (going to the line, increased number of shots) and negative things as well (efficiency and defense).

I am not really down on him. I have pushed back against some people wanting to trade him or label him a bust, because he hasn't been - but at the same time, he hasn't been awesome either.

Next year is going to be a big year for Green, I expect him to improve his efficiency and scoring and be on pace to be an all star type shooting guard who can possibly be more with an extra spike of improvement in his game.

I don't see a superstar outcome, but I wouldn't say its impossible either - he really has been in limbo so far in his career.

He and Jabari Smith will both look a lot better with smarter and better players around them. Both look like they will be borderline all star type players, and that is pretty good - just not franchise guys IMO based on what I have observed.

5. Nook

Nook Member

On a side note, there has been a lot of hate towards Jabari Smith, and I can understand the disappointment in his overall numbers. I expected a regression in his shooting, and him to struggle handling the ball - but not quite this bad.

Still, fans need to remember that Jabari Smith is going to end this season as a 19 year old, surrounded by other guys like Green and Sengun and he has been very poorly coached.

I think that Green, Smith, Sengun and Eason are going to greatly benefit playing with a real coach and some veteran players next year.

Arguably, outside of Sengun, the most impressive player this season has been Tari Eason, who has really started to emerge as a very good energy player and possible quality starter for the Rockets. That would be a nice return for a mediocre NETS pick last year. He looks like at worst a rotation player on a really good team.

6. theDude

theDude Member

I am not. If he walks from Philly for Houston, it means he does not care about winning and only wants the most money he can get. Good for him. That’s what he should do. But it wouldn’t be in the best interest of the Rockets to accommodate him. The Rockets would have a better record and they’d probably sell more merchandise, but you’d be bringing in a guy on the back side of his career whose commitment to hard work has always been in question. I’d much rather have multiple overachieving vets come in and lead the way. I think the Rockets would benefit more long term. The “quick fix” of Harden might actually hurt the team long term.

Easy and xiki like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Being more impressed about Tari than someone opposing teams defensively gameplan for in their second year who is younger than Tari is odd.

Nook likes this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That should indeed be the first move of the offseason, as well as an upgrade at point. If KPJ is not good with a bench role he will be traded or released.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don’t think Head Honcho likes the fact that the team isn’t the same as it was 3 month ago

King1, Nook, WestendMassive and 2 others like this.
  10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

OR he thinks that our overall roster can be better than Phillies with a bit of veteran help and someone who knows his head from his butt when running basic plays as PG.

#510 chenjy9, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Tough, he will have to adjust......

DD

12. xiki

xiki Member

“adjust” is not in the lexicon of our processed Rox.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

True, but a new coach will need to FORCE adjustments as necessary.

Givony's voice bugs me though, seems like he doesn't have any real voice training....

DD

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, he wouldn't be in Houston if they didn't pick him..

It is not the best situation but you can't be choosers with your parents either.

15. xiki

xiki Member

I’m just not sold on his report. Or I don’t wannabe.

There are heavy decisions looming after #82 …/… May 16 - - and how they go will determine how ‘I go’ in confidence. Or in sad disgust.

#1 - coach. Not SAS. Ime (if not too toxic). If not, Sammy C or MA. Is Mahmoud ok with vets from around the Association?

#2 - KPj. What is his best role going forward? Point forward?

#3 - draft. If 3-5, then? Gimme solid vet, solid fit. In 20s. Over Bama’s questionable or twins or???

#4 - LAC pick. Should be worth a solid vet someone wants to move from.

We shall see.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where's Boban?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Those whiteys are wicked evil idiots who should have been aborted.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

I agree.
    I have a lot of problems with Stone as a leader of this organization, but I have zero issues with his picks and talent evaluation. Zero. He[s probably batting close to 100%.

1. KMJ. 2nd rounder, probably top 15 player in his draft.
    2. Sengun. #16 may very well end up best in his draft.
    3. Eason #17 looks like top 5 player in his draft for now.
    4/5 Garuba/ Jaygup: TBD, but flashes of overplaying their draft position.
    6. Jabari. No brainer consensus at #3. No GM would have picked differently. No issues from me.
    7. Green. No-brainer once Mobley refused to work out for us (WHY he refused is probably telling of Stone organization management, but not of his talent evaluation skills)
    No-one would have reached for anybody else at #2. Masaj and Presti reached for Barnes (over Suggs) and for Giddy, and it paid off for them. But doubt they would have done it at #2. Green’s raw talent was too much to pass at #2. So no blame on Stone is warranted for this pick.

19. thekad

thekad Member

Coddled twice as many wins in one season as the Rockets have had since he left, in three seasons.

Losers on the forum love losing. It’s their favorite thing.

20. MystikArkitect

That's right. Coddled wins, western conference 1 seeds, most wins in franchise history, 6MOY awards, COTY awards, MVP awards, scoring titles, assist titles....coddled all of it.