1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 10, 2023.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Give it a rest, troll. Personal attacks are for 3rd-graders.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm going to do one for every player with a substantial future on the Rockets. You might not agree with my opinions but that doesn't mean I haven't approached them with objectivity, I have, and a damned sight more than the limitless hot take knee jerk threads available to you on this forum.

You all want to put a crown on him. I want to see the necessary improvement to become the king. That's not hate, that's hope. Taking a shot at Sengun-fans rhetoric isn't the same thing as taking a shot at Sengun. He's not the one calling himself Jokic, or claiming himself a point guard. He's not the one saying he's the best player on the team. Clapping back at these asinine takes instead of being a homerish parrot isn't me being mad. Talk about objectivity, sheesh.

Do you really disagree with me? You don't think he needs to improve his game at all?

marky :) and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hopefully all our players will improve their game. They are very young. Hard to assess any of them objectively, with the current inept coaching staff, and the deliberate tanking going on.

Sengun is objectively the best player on the team, the eye test and all the advanced stats (PER, WS, VORP, BPM, etc.) confirm this.

4. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Definitely have to take whatever happens with a bag of salt, I'm pretty sure we agree that this coaching staff is bullshit and we're all sick of the tanking. I'm not denying the numbers either, math is math. Still... he gets played off the floor because of his defense. Teams can pack the paint like the Bulls did because he can't/won't shoot 3s. That is where the hesitance to say "let's build around this guy" comes from and it's absolutely a relevant criticism.

Then it comes to the reason we've tanked. If we land Wembanyama or Henderson?

chenjy9 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sengun's turnover numbers are bad and this is a part of his game he needs to address as he goes on. Anybody who watches games or look at stats can see that. Why doesn't he get roasted for that? It is the same reason why other young players are not getting roasted for their mistakes like KPJ. They are at a different point in their careers, they have different roles, they promise more, they have more time to develop, they don't have infinite opportunities to show themselves(in particular Sengun has the shortest leash ever). Also Sengun has more consistent production, have good court vision and moves the ball well. KPJ doesn't have any of these. When sengun played as a hub for a stretch of 10 games, his assist numbers doubled and better than kpj, who had 2 years and all the minutes and the opportunity to improve himself. Sengun did it almost instantly. The improvement of the offense was far more reaching than the assist numbers can represent, the team was overall much better on offense(while replacing KPJ with much less players in terms of production and talent). As long as his production is there, the turnovers are even more tolarable.

Sengun should not play the 4th quarter because we saw what happened in the bulls game, really? Another way to phrase that would be 'Sengun should not play 4th quarters because I don't like him'. You watched the game and thought KPJ should be the on the floor but not sengun? Sengun had a bad 4th quarter but so did everyone, it was a shtshow and if I recall correctly in particular KPJ was horrible. The fact that you think it is a fair criticism is a clear sign that you are unaware how much your assessment of sengun is formed by a negative bias.

6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah I'll take my note on biases from a poster that uses AlperenSengun as a username....

[​IMG]

Hey check out Alpe's February split, that month that Porter missed:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sengual01/splits/2023

This thread isn't about everyone. Stop deflecting fair criticism. I don't have to qualify the statement about the Bulls game to make it easier on your delicate sensibilities. People complain about him not playing 4th quarters, then he does and it's "a shitshow", to which he absolutely contributed.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yikes, looks like KPJ really empowers Sengun offensively.

Good find.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

January was the month when he was briefly less restricted by Silas and his gang. By February, Silas reined him in.

HardenReturns and hakeem94 like this.
  9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

If you could point out some biases I have, it would be a better argument. The shitshow was not because of Sengun, everybody was part of it. If you think, it will be a fixed when he is out, it is a bias because

1) overall Alpi has the most consistent production in the team
    2) kpj and others have been terrible in the 4th quarters when Sengun was not playing
    3) The guards being bad, effects the team much more and kpj was particularly bad in that game

And it was as far as I recall the first time he was really bad in the 4th quarter. You want to put the same leash on sengun as Silas does, because you simply don't like him. You want to justify keeping him out with his first bad game. And although KPJ and others has had multiple horrible 4th quarters that doesn't create the same feeling in you.

I am not sure why you mention February splits. Porter got injured in January and Sengun was the focus of offense right then. His assist numbers went up as you can see in january splits. After KPJ injury in january he averaged 7.33 assists per game in the next 9 games in January when he was used as the focus of offense. I and many others whose names do not include the name Sengun or who are not Sengun only fans pointed out this is the right way to use Sengun and the whole team benefited from it. It of course did not translate to immediate wins as Rockets are already a bottom team and now playing without one of its main scorer, and the only player who can handle the ball decently. Still it was amazing that you could have similar production with the ball moving much better without one of your main scorers.

Then Silas simply went away from it. And a bottom team that already had no back up guard now not playing without its first option at pg collapsed due to many reasons. Sengun and the whole team performed poorly in January.

You want no deflection. So it is plain and simple. You can't keep your best player out. You can't justify it by one bad game or one turnover. You can't use a reasoning on only one player. If you applied your logic to keep Sengun out in the 4th to other players, none of them would be on the court. That's explicit bias and I am pointing it out explicitly. 'Alpi should not play because he did play last game's 4th quarter bad' is not criticism. If you say he played bad, it is criticism and it is correct. Your conclusion from it doesn't make sense, is unfair, does not benefit the team, and just reflects your personal bias.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Excellent post. 100% true.

And again, the personal attack against you based on your user name, when your previous post was actually quite balanced (as is your entire posting history) only shows the OP's own (possibly subconscious) negative bias. Yes, he did get mad.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ah just another day in the office for alperen sengun fans schooling the prejudicists, a typical SOF has so much deeper, smarter, more objective and more realistic bb and other insights it is really fascinating!

HardenReturns likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No Sengun tonight. Haters rejoice!

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I'm not going to continue going in circles with you if you can't even admit you're biased for a player when you used his name for your forum username. Sweet baby Joshua that's crazy.

Keep saying I don't like him though. It's not true but whatever makes you feel better.

maj21 and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Thank you. I am as good as what i post and my opinions as well as everyone else, not my username. I am used to posters who have no choice but try to invalidate what i say based on username. They are also the same people with very poor arguments, whether I agree with what they say or not.

hakeem94 and Mathloom like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't read too much into Sengun's absence tonight, the Celts were not playing a Center so it made sense to sit him.

DD

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Moving the goal post? The goal post is that Sengun is better. Him having triple the w/s doesn't move the goal post, it's evidence.

Porter and jokic are totally irrelevant here, but let's do exercise. If Sengun produces three times more wins, and Jokic produces three times more wins that Sengun, it means either Jokic is MUCH worse than you believe, or that Sengun is MUCH better than you believe.

Simply: Sengun creates more with his possessions, so having more turnovers isn't as bad. Having lees turn overs is better, but it's relative.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun is a 20/10 player

18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yes, moving the goal post. I posed a question regarding turnovers and usage and the goal post was moved to win shares.

Sengun creates more what than Porter with his possessions? Points or assists? Answer: neither. Winshares? Wow cool story on a 17 win team.

19. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Would be battling for MVP if not for his coach, team, and entire league conspiring against him.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do know that there is a fun stat called Points Per Possession? (PPP)

Points Per Possession

Alperen: 1.14
    Porter Jr.: 1.01

:D