1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Player Assessment] Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 10, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun made his.

eurobasket23 likes this.
  4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Did you post the right link? According to this sengun has nearly TRIPLE the WS generated per 36. There's plenty of other stats that suggest the obvious conclusion that others have come to already, but I could be wring.

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun wipes the floor with KPJ regarding any stats. Only Silas/his sycophants and the 7 KPJ stans on this board don't want to know the truth.

King1, Ankara1923 and eurobasket23 like this.
  6. 34to11

34to11 Member

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol is "34to11" a KPJ stan? Would make sense.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I generally agree with your first 2 paragraphs. That's what my last paragraph was saying. They're all so young now it doesn't really matter. Just continue to grow and see where everything lands out in the future. I was discussing future projections. Ultimately, you'll want to see all players work on things that make them reach their potential on a championship team.

Your last paragraph is actually what I was talking about longterm for Sengun. I think Sabonis should be much better defensively with how strong he is. But, for whatever reason he's not. And, the Kings are therefore not good defensively. They will have no chance at a championship until they build around Sabonis to improve their defense. The same would be the case for Sengun if he became a Sabonis clone or a Chris Webber clone.

It's definitely not easy to build a championship contender around a Sabonis type. It's easy to build around a prime Lebron or a Giannis. Guys that are dominant 2 way players. It's the reason the rockets had to tweak things so much with Harden. Everything has to be just right to cover up defensive weaknesses yet still not hurt the offense.

topfive likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nothing you see you should trust, your brain is tired of carrying all that fat around so it gives you a distorted picture of reality....
    you need to eat some real food and hit the gym...

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

You dont need to build around him if he isnt good enough. He can just be a good player on a good team. I mean is GSW built around Wiggins? No right. It's the same thing.

The whole "build around" is an american concept if you look at Euro teams they rarely build around 1 dude its about more having different options for varied attacks. Same thing with Sengun he doesnt need an entire system built around him hell he is like 3rd option at best on our team but he still racks up the pts and rebs.

HardenReturns and AlperenSengun like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Couple of important indicators:

- Sengun blocks roughly 2 times as many shots as Sabonis. Blocks don't necessarily make a good defender, but it is a good indicator.
    - Sengun is 6'11 with a 7 foot wingspan. Sabonis is 6'10 with a 6'10 wingspan. It's not a lot but Sengun is clearly better equipped.

On defense I see Sengun more as a slightly smaller Andrew Bogut with better quickness. On offense yes Sabonis is a good comp.

HardenReturns likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ayl-pah-ran Shengün.

HardenReturns likes this.
  13. maj21

maj21 Member

Probably like 20 inches. He’s the only guy I see that has to fulling extend his body to dunk.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

15. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Say 2 feet and we have a deal.
    His vertical's nothing to write home about.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

And Jokic has triple the win shares of Sengun... all you guys have is a moving goal post.

I'm asking why don't people lambast Sengun for his turnovers the way Porter gets roasted? People complain about him not playing in the 4th quarter, then he does against the Bulls and couldn't hang on to the rock. Does it make it easier if we don't mention Porter or Jokic?

This is a fair criticism of Alperen Sengun.

Verbal Christ and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Basically, Derp made two threads for players he doesn't seem to like much (KMJ and Alpi), disguised as seemingly objective "player assessment threads", and then gets mad when people disagree. Shrug.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Derp getting "mad" here, am I missing something?

topfive and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Psychological projection
    Description

Psychological projection is a defence mechanism of alterity concerning "inside" content mistaken to be coming from the "outside" Other. It forms the basis of empathy by the projection of personal experiences to understand someone else's subjective world. Wikipedia

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, you are. But that may be because you like it?