1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Baseball Classic Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Mar 11, 2023.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

Threw on Dominican Republic, Venezuela game, the intensity has me hooked on this tournament. Altuve took a walk off Neris, Luis Garcia struck out Pena with straight breaking balls after walking a couple. Really cool stuff

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Insane atmosphere for this ven vs DR game. Crazier than any playoff or WS game.

Luis Garcia was awesome. He looks slimmer and dominant. Ready to take that next step.

This could turn into a major competition given the Latin countries talent and presence in MLB. Could deserve more than being played before the MLB season when guys are still getting jn shape.

crose and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

It didn't really get fun until today. And now it's real fun.

Colombia vs Mexico was so fantastic

eta: also, Venezuela came to play

#3 Buck Turgidson, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    crose and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

In the Neris Altuve battle, Neris almost took out Altuve's head on the 1st pitch. Then almost hit him in the next pitch. Announcer was saying it's harder for pitchers when facing teammates. Assuming because batter knows pitchers tendencies?

Tucker got a rbi hit I believe.
    Maldonado had a good game.

5. Buck Turgidson

Tell your brain "try not to throw it there...try not to throw it there...try not to throw it there" and then see what your body does with that info

You'll either throw it exactly where you didn't want, or exactly where you didn't think about, or you'll throw it about 5 feet somewhere else

"Don't think, Meat"

punkoholic likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Taipei vs. Cuba is just one continuous party for the fans… like karaoke + club scene + sports all combined.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#7 Commodore, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  8. HeyBudLetsParty

Garcia looks way more in control with his new windup. His fastball seems to have a lot of life as well, feel like his velocity started to fade last season then he came out of the bullpen in the playoffs looking fresh as ever. Have to think his playoff experience is helping him perform on this big stage, man is hopefully setting himself up for a monster breakout year.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can't bring myself to care much, but asia and latin america are crazy about this, the atmospere is insane.

Americans are interested in the success of their MLB team, but to countries without an MLB team I could see why they love this so much.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  10. HeyBudLetsParty

This sentiment is shared across most of the country, I don’t think team USA wins this year because they couldn’t bring out any elite pitching. I’m finding myself enjoying watching the international flair, culture the other countries are playing with. You almost wouldn’t believe baseball was created here.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If other countries continue to gain participation from the majority of their best players, and the ratings continue to do relatively well in an otherwise dead sports period before March madness… USA will hopefully be compelled to continue to try and recruit their best to play (or their own competitiveness and peer pressure will do the same)

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Altuve has been an on-base machine. Think he's reached on every AB so far.

Buck Turgidson and crose like this.
  14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I am in Japan and China this week, and the atmosphere is crazy just on the streets. Especially in Japan there are billboards everywhere, the news is always showing highlights and the team talks about the games every day. Even China people are following it closely.

I know it’s annoying for our spring training, but this is a good thing for baseball as it will encourage more global interest and more revenue.

punkoholic and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Are you in fact:

Rileydog likes this.
  16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

17. HeyBudLetsParty

Mexico pilling on their lead against the US, crowd in Arizona is going nuts. Wild

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

USA has an all star lineup with two-cent pitching.

Doubt the US gets far when their best starting pitcher is worse than Mexico's 2nd best starter.

Didn't expect it to show up against Mexico though.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

We need mexico to put in shitty urquidy stat

20. jayfree

jayfree Member

Mike Fiers recently played in Mexico. Too bad they couldn't have put him on the roster