1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Panthers are not interested in trading with anyone other than Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why would they be? They're not trading back with the Colts, or further, and the Cardinals aren't moving up.

If the Panthers traded back with the Colts, they now have the third choice at QB. What if the Raiders, Falcons, Seahawks, Titans, or any other team trades up to three? You mean to tell me that the Panthers would trade up 5 spots for the ability to take the 4th quarterback on the board? Because that's the game they'd be playing.

Not gonna happen.

What's going on is this:

The Panthers know who they want. Otherwise they wouldn't have traded up. They also know that the Texans are more interested in someone else. Because of that, they want to grab an extra pick or two by trying to convince the Texans to trade up. This will play out in smoke and mirrors in the next few weeks until the Texans unequivocally shut the Panthers down.

No way the Panthers are trading back. They want Stroud or Richardson, and they realize that the Texans want Young, imo.

This may age like milk. Who knows? It's all fun and games.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, the reason the Texans didn't trade up (besides the price) is they know the Panthers are interested in either CJ Stroud or AR-15. Texans are happy to sit back and wait. Who this screws is the Colts. They will have a choice of AR-15 and Levis...most likely.

Wattafan, ROXRAN, whag00 and 2 others like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

The 49ers traded up when they had no idea what QB they wanted. I think if you're Carolina, you trade up because you know you need a QB, several will be taken before #9, and you think other people might jump up. So you do what you have to to give yourself control of the situation. But given that each of the QBs has some questionmarks and there's no sure-fire guy, it would be pretty silly if teams don't use the next 6 weeks of opportunity to evaluate the QBs further.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing with that. The point is that you don't trade up to trade back. The only team they'd trade back with is the Texans, and that's if they decide each team wants different quarterbacks.

My opinion is that they probably want one of two quarterbacks. Maybe three. Maybe I got those quarterbacks wrong. Either way, to further validate the point of the title, the Panthers are not going to trade back unless they're convinced one of their guys will still be available. The Texans aren't going to trade up unless there's one guy they want and they think he won't be available. This seems to make the likelihood of a trade back for the Panthers very small, agree?

@Mr.Scarface , in no way is this an advocation for the Texans to trade up. In fact, of you infer anything from this, it's an argument as to why the Texans should absolutely stay put. Otherwise what you said is essentially the same thing as what I'm saying.

#4 Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. showa13

showa13 Member

It makes zero sense for the Texans to trade up at this point. This was the best case scenario in regards to a team trading up, depending on who you want at QB.

It sure seems like CJ is in the lead within the Panthers organization at this moment. It also seems like they are very intrigued by AR. If you want one of those guys you’re prob not a fan of this trade up. But at least one of them will be there at 2. The owner is cool with CJ’s inner circle, but apparently he’s infatuated with Young, and he can make the decision on his own.

I want Young out of all of these guys. I’d be ok with AR or Levis if it came to that. Someone will be there at 2, they should stay there.

6. a time to chill

It was pretty stupid of Caserio to not ensure they lost that game to the Colts. It would be even stupider to trade up for the #1 pick. Just sit back and take what's left between Young or Stroud.

7. Major

Major Member

I agree it's really unlikely they trade back from here - you're just taking too much risk at that point. But if some team like the Colts gets desperate and offers more than they just gave up to get the pick, maybe they do? But agree - it's extremely unlikely, especially after you got your fan base excited about having the #1 pick.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

9. Nook

Nook Member

For 7-8 months I have felt Stroud was the best QB in this draft, he can do just about everything and he is a hard worker. There was a lot of discussion about Bryce Young.

Now it looks like the Panthers traded up to get Stroud - so the Texans will get who they want I guess, but I don’t really trust anyone with the Texans to evaluate QB’s. It isn’t like they have Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren or Sean Payton in the building to help them in that regard.

10. raining threes

They should have Gary Kubiak in the building for the specific purpose of helping Ryans/Caserio find the QB of the future. I know Kubiak doesn't want to coach anymore, but I bet he would be willing to help his hometown team find its QB of the future.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, while I wasn’t always a big fan of him as a head coach, he knows QB’s and offensive linemen as well as just about anyone.

Bryce Young is small, and I don’t think his arm is anything special… but he does have deceptive strength and he also really has great pocket presence.

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I do not want to face AR 15 with the colts all the while we are trying to build. Houston should draft Richardson and give him a season to get better throwing the football, and sign Jimmy to a one year rental.

coachbadlee likes this.
  13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

And you don't trade away your #1 receiver for nothing.
    The compensation required to move up would be prohibitive and Texans already passed on the Bears original asking price.
    Hell, I hope they take Anderson and see if their guy slides a bit and then make your move using the 12th pick

#13 Wattafan, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Duplicate post

#14 Wattafan, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But they have Gary Kubiak who is just a phone call away.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So much for only wanting to trade with Houston!

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Did they trade?

18. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Is there a rumor that Panthers want to trade with someone besides the Texans?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Exactly that’s what I’m asking!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

cmoak1982 likes this.