1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Jan 12, 2023.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Payne talked about it on 610 this morning, he quoted Schefter who reported that teams don’t want to do BAL’s dirty work for them (I.e., doing *all* of the negotiating and contract term draw ups, only for BAL to ultimately accept the offer after Lamar agrees to it). I don’t think it should be overlooked that Lamar does not have an agent and is representing himself. An agent would be very helpful in this situation, especially where Lamar is seeking a record-breaking, fully guaranteed contract. I don’t see collusion as some are speculating, but just that 1) negotiating with Lamar, and 2) at a fully guaranteed clip a la Watson, just isn’t appealing to most teams.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It was foolish then and it's foolish now. Cleveland being Cleveland.

3. 9baller

9baller Member

To actually get Lamar and have the Ravens decline to match, we're going to have to overpay. We'd have to offer a "poison pill" contract, a la Daryl Morey. Maybe 58-60 mil per year for 5-7 years would get it done. But I'd rather just draft Stroud or Young.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Exactly. You’d have to make a worse version of the bad Cleveland / Texans deal. It’s just not a good place to be in.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'd rather sign Jimmy G than Lamar Jackson.

And I think Jimmy G sucks.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Basically yes.

If you're a half-way competent QB away, he's a no-brainer signee.

For almost any other team he's dead weight.

A run-first QB leaving his prime about to get a phat contract? No thanks. Hard pass.

You don't build a team with signings like that.

Which, also, is why hardly anyone is interested.

There aren't that many teams with cap space, a hole at QB, and in "win now" mode.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Sign Garoppolo and take Anderson or Carter to jump start the SWARM on D. Maybe get underwear winner Smith with 33 and Witherspoon at 12. Maybe take a project QB in a later round.

If we go that route, see if ARI would move up a slot (because we haven't broadcast out intention) to secure their QB and get their 2024 round 1.

If no one else trades up to 1, either Anderson or Carter should be there. If someone does, than one will be, but also one less QB will be.

I'd really like going all in for Williams or May in 2024 so collecting likely high 2024 first round picks would be part of the plan.

It makes the draft game more fun too.

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

#168 Marshall Bryant, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  9. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

yeah as long as we don’t sign him for stupid money. 25 mil per year or less

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Stafford
    Trades for CHI, ARI & IND 2024 #1s

4 Carter DI
    64 Tippmann C/G
    73 Wypler C
    96 Robinson S
    104 Hodges-Tomlinson CB
    136 Ojomo DI
    178 Abdullah ED
    187 Clark DI
    200 Bennett QB

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya. What I meant about owners maximizing position is them trying to adjust the market back down to what it was before the Watson deal with Cleveland...or resist it continuing down that path. Greed probably isn't the right word...but it was in a response to a post where the suggestion was made that we were making excuses for "greedy players."

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, I get that...and I don't think I was very clear in the post I made, because it was only in the context of a response to another post calling players greedy for seeking to get the most out of a contract that they can. In that broader context, I'm saying I personally care a lot more about the players than I do the owners.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think I (generally) know why - but, yeah - I'll never really fully comprehend why so many fans carry the owners' water. Almost everything bad about sports is the owners' fault.

awc713 and MadMax like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t give a crap about the owners or players greed. They both are doing quite well. What I do care is about good football and at least some competitive balance which the NFL has. If contracts like Watson’s become commonplace more and more teams will be in cap hell if the signed player doesn’t pan our or fades quickly no matter the reason. I don’t want our owner do be stupid and sign Lamar to guaranteed money for his entire contract, not because I don’t want what’s best for the player, but I want what’s best for my team.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

To get Maye or Williams in your scenario, the Texans will probably have to give 2 #1s and other picks. Why, because they will probably be picking outside the top 5 or 10. There goes all your extra draft capital PLUS more and no assurance those QBs are better than the ones available in this draft. Take the QB now, and build from there. Project QBs...don't work. Almost NEVER have.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Some of you are in fantasy land.

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Yeah, I love watching Lamar, and think he's a great QB.... I just don't think the contract AND the compensation would be worth it for us.

And to the point of getting the fanbase excited, I think Lamar could do it, but to get a new QB, a face of the franchise (that hasn't been another team's face before) would do the same thing. I think Bryce coming in would have most of the fanbase excited and the rest cautiously optimistic. Let's stop doing the re-tread thing, and create our own.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Of course. It's the PFF Draft Game.

I enjoy finding the flaws. This year, the biggest is the ability to trade our 2 and a 7th round future pick for Chicago's number 1. Then trade the 1 back for a ton more like 2, 2024 1 and all their picks after the 3rd round for the 1 they just traded to us. Then trade 2 and rd 7 for 1 again.

#178 Marshall Bryant, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How will the fan base react when he gets hurt? I don’t know what the Texans are thinking, but their decision should not be based on what the fan base wants, but is the best long-term solution to making this a winning team. If they believe it’s Bryce or CJ fine. I think most great teams are built through the trenches. There are multiple ways to get franchise qbs. The Jets are finally ready and are going to get Rogers. The Rams got Stafford. Sometimes it’s through the draft. I just hope their personnel department makes the right decision.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member